New Mac Pro - 2018?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by elvis, Apr 5, 2017.

1. aokman

aokman Member

Prove it then. Build me a pro level system using the same or better hardware for less and post it here. No lower resolution monitors, no consumer hardware. I dont care if you can buy a X series consumer CPU and watercool it or use 2 1080tis in SLI... they are a completely different market to Xeons and Quadro and Radeon Pro.

And there is nothing wrong with designing a sleek computer, thats like saying I only want a car with 4 wheels and an engine, I dont care what it looks like, we all know the majority want to drive something more.

Well guess what, Apple are a business as well, they work hard to build unique hardware that no one else in the market produces. This means they own the market in a unique way and dictate pricing, not you and that pisses you off. I know because our company goes through the same crap every time we go after a tender.

Sorry but every post you make about Apple basically reads like a little kid having a tantrum saying Apple won't give me this, Apple won't give me that, Apple wont do it 30% cheaper than another PC builder who is in a cut throat industry and doesn't stand out at all.

ANY business in this world would do the same as Apple if they actually had an ounce of originality to build something other than just another PC clone. Yes I know a Mac runs on PC hardware but it is far more than that. If you don't like their ethos, design, form factor, pricing etc then why the hell are you buying them in the first place. Stay in PC land and keep mowing Bill Gates lawn.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. underskore

underskore Member

I notice a whole bunch of ports on the back of the imac pro, I'm surprised Apple didn't stick with the same hardline approach they took with the portables...

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Except we're not talking about cars. Car analogies in I.T. are misleading at best, and dangerous at worst (never explain things to a manager in car analogies in any business where bad decisions cost real money). More to the point, we're talking about commercial systems (in your quite rubbish analogy, more like a commercial truck, van or ute, and less like a personal car - but the analogy is still rubbish even when amended).

Well thank god they have someone useful in charge of procurement. If you had that job, they'd go broke.

Ending a long rant about how awesome a corporate you clearly love is by telling me I'm wrong for supporting a different corporate. The irony is delicious, the hypocrisy hilarious.

(Even more hilarious - the fact that you are two Microsoft CEOs out of date, and we're majority Linux. :lol: )

That's because they got utterly reamed for their "hard line". Apple's continued arrogance in telling the customer what they want isn't working. I/O is utterly essential on Pro-grade hardware, and if an iMac "Pro" was released with shitty I/O like the Macbook "Pro" was, that would be one more nail in Apple's computer coffin.

iPads and iCloud don't cut it for the professional industries for a bunch of reasons.

4. Luke212

Luke212 Member

I think its the case that Mac Pro is shifting towards luxury item and away from professional tool.

It's obvious they are trying to please too many people. Maybe they need another line, Mac Deluxe. aorkman and giles can buy their deluxe luxury model, while the power users could buy a Pro model that has the requisite upgrade-ability.

5. aokman

aokman Member

No I am saying you are wrong because you keep bitching about it, I have no problem with people using other hardware, I have a problem with people who don't get the point that complaining on a computer forum about Apple will achieve nothing.

You go on that you don't care about design, you don't care about OSX, you don't want to pay the extra for an Apple product... SO STOP BUYING APPLE PRODUCTS and move on. Jesus its like someone has a gun to your head and is forcing you to do it.

Apple has a unique product on the market, you either want it or you don't. You keep saying you can do the same or more with Windows or Linux and save money by using other hardware, so why don't you and forget Apple exists.

Yes I know that Bill Gates doesn't run MS anymore, not that I care. It has just gotten worse with time.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

Quite the opposite. I care deeply about OSX (or should I say, macOS) and about Apple Computers (as in, real computers, not phones or tablets). They used to be amazing products, and aren't a completely lost cause yet.

Because I don't want a market that's an oligopoly. I want to see a market flourish with choice of dozens of vendors and different computers. I come from an era pre-x86 when there was tonnes of choice for both home and business computing. Today, it's all x86 at the high end (ARM in the mid-range is still a while off yet, but getting close).

Apple have placed themselves in a strange position of "shiny objects" that are more of a fashion statement than a good computer that represents value for money. Apple have always been expensive, but there was a time when you could get better mileage out of Apple hardware because it performed so much better for so much longer. Today, they're out of date before they're even available on shelves.

I genuinely miss Apple's golden era. I don't want to forget they exist. I want them to return to when they were good, and cared about computers, not just phones and music sales.

Precisely how I feel about Apple recently, but I'm hopeful they can turn it around.

7. thecondor

thecondor Member

Wait what?! :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Im not sure if you are being funny or serious....

8. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Soooo if we are talking about designers, we need a Xeon and Quadro for what? Photoshop doesn't benefit from multiple cores.

If we are talking about exporting from Adobe Premier, there's no benefit to a Xeon over consumer cpu.

I live in Singapore, I have no idea where you buy shit in Australia, and Singapore doesn't have online stores to buy from.

Still doesn't change the fact that you can buy all the components for an iMac for cheaper than an iMac.

And the iMac retina screen is a pile of crap compared to whats on the market today. Glad to see it's finally getting a refresh in the 'iMac Pro'

For what it's worth tho, in SG a fully speced out iMac is $7528. (hah they dropped their prices since the announcement of the iMac Pro cos it was ~$12,000

That's a 4.2gighz quad-core Core i7, 64gb of ram, 2tb SSD, and a 27" 5k screen.

My friend who is a designer and spends most of his time in Photoshop, Lightroom, and After Effects, spent $6700 for latest i7, 64gb of ram, 1tb SSD (samsung 960 pro m.2), and 32" 4k monitor (didn't want the dell 5k because for design the larger resolution sucks unless he's doing mobile stuff).

It kills his old iMac, and it kills his co-workers fully speced out iMac.

So at the time of purchase that was saving $5300.

So, yup, no doubt could spec out an equiv computer to the iMac Pro when it's available in SG.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

I thought the same at first. His commitment to the task is admirable though, so it's either one hell of a troll, or some serious Stockholm syndrome.

10. aokman

aokman Member

I loathe Windows in general, Windows XP was fine. Windows 7 was a little annoying but still got the job done and Windows 8 and 10 are a pile of mish mashed shit and a lot of people share that opinion. My computer is not an advertising platform for MS and a trojan to install their 3rd party crap without my permission. Likewise trying to force updates when I don't want them...and I have 0 interest in using a desktop OS as a touch device or being forced to do it through deliberate UI changes.

I play games in Windows and everything else is done in OSX, even with that limited use, it fails quite often due to an update or something.

I am not expecting you to agree BTW, if you like Windows, then good for you.

FYI, I am not a rabbid Apple fanboy, I will use whatever suit my needs. Apple just happens to suit my needs and they have never really put me offside. Until that day I will carry on, I am not going to hate Apple just because its trendy to.

11. thecondor

thecondor Member

Or he has like 4million in Apple shares.

Even Stevey Wonder can see windows 10 for what it is and the job that M$ have done with the surface book. Hey im not saying that everthing is rosey over at M$ head office but when the share price has climbed $20 in the last 12 months they are doing something right.

Back to the imac pro, looks great, too expensive for me and anyone in our organisation, im sure the boss will buy one just so his dick will feel slightly bigger but apart from that im sure the Apple lovers will cuddle them everynight for the next 2 years whilst they get their $7000 Aus dollars worth.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

And you're welcome to. But that's subjective opinion, not objective fact. The issue arises when you get quite upset at folks offering their subjective opinion on Apple not suiting their specific needs, and start telling them they're "wrong".

Perhaps instead, consider Apple's own mantra and adopt it as your own:

[​IMG]

13. aokman

aokman Member

I never said they are wrong, they can use whatever they want... Stupid comparisons using different hardware are wrong though, stop calling the iMac overpriced when you cant build a system with the same spec for less, it is completely false.

I said you are wrong for expecting different from Apple, you know what they are like, we all know what they are like. They are not going to change for you so just get over it and stop expecting it. They have chosen their path and they are sticking with it.

Even if a "modular" Mac Pro comes down the track, it will not use off the shelf parts so you will be screwed no matter what.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

See, the interesting thing is that they used to do exactly that, and they changed. So it's entirely possible that they'll change again, and operate like every other company under the sun where they realise that every business transaction can be negotiated.

More to the point, your ranting about Apple's policies doesn't convince me of squat, given you don't represent them let alone even work for them. So if I could be so bold as to borrow your own words, "get over it and stop expecting it". :)

15. 2SHY

2SHY Member

It doesn't surprise me that the old Mac Vs Windows debate will continue on forever and a day and that people can either be impartial , the most ardent fans or haters ever. This thread and others like this, prove it.

16. telefragd

telefragd Member

I'm slightly more on the Apple side, but I'm happy to use both platforms for my design work.

I run a custom Mac at home because there are currently no Apple desktops that suit my needs.

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Pffft, real men fight over vim vs emacs.

18. Perko

Perko Member

Clearly the answer is gedit.

And systemd.

*ducks*

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Why do you hurt me so? :upset:

20. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Is anyone else over the iMac look?

That huge lower Bezel looks like arse IMO and it's a pain in the arse when you want to add an additional monitor, necessitating the use of phone books in order to stand any chance of getting the bezels to line up whatsoever.