New Mac Pro - 2018?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by elvis, Apr 5, 2017.

1. KriiV

KriiV Member

Totally agree and this is actually why I have a Macbook Pro with additional monitors. I wouldn't be able to stand the monitor not matching the iMac! :sick:

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Our workflow mandates dual monitors for all of our artists (yes, even the ones with 5K screens). It certainly is interesting that "aesthetics" continues to be a selling point for Apple hardware, yet the iMac looks awful in a dual-monitor setup.

Or perhaps this is where I get told real pros don't need dual monitors, and I'm just a special case. :lol:

3. 2SHY

2SHY Member

I didn't know having something look good is a requirement to getting work done.

Curse those ugly black/grey/beige boxes. /sarcasm

4. wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

Very much so. I would have preferred them to put the innards of the chin behind the monitor and just make it thicker.

Its going to look even worse when they release those brand new monitors next year.

Im rocking dual 27inch Cinema Displays and the symmetry is wonderful. Im using a hackintosh, so the box is away from it. Bliss.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  5. alexc

alexc Member

And when you want to use the iMac as a monitor in the future it still kinda looks like an iMac. Mayve they do it on purpose so it doesn't look like a display?

6. alexc

alexc Member

It also seems we have our answer as to why Nvidia released new drivers - eGPU support.

I know this is a non Hackintosh forum, but it will be up interesting to see what all the new internal and external GPU options are going forward.

7. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

I'd love to see a thread ripper II based Mac Pro, drop like a bomb w/ a good water cooling system and decent I/O and expandability, but given Intel and Apple's erm, f%^kwittery I severely doubt we will see anything decent. i would love to be proven wrong but the Intel chips of the last two cycles run too damn hot and wont deliver the performance unless they are under water cooling.

8. everybodies

everybodies Member

interesting reading, also cant wait to see what the new Mac Pro brings.
    have used various 'cheese graters' and a 'trash can' but they simply could not compete with a 4970k hackintosh

9. giles666

giles666 Member

Foget the Mac Pro for the time being. It's almost December, where's some news about the iMac Pro!?

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

It's out. $12K fully specced. Nail in the coffin for us. Twice as much as we'd pay for a 4K Windows workstation with a better GPU and PCI-E expandability (which we need for a host of reasons), and the jump from 4K to 5K isn't worth the 200% asking price.

And if that's what they're asking for the iMac Pro, I'm scared to ask what the Mac Pro will be when it lands. Apple certainly aren't aiming these at creative professionals any more. The doctors and lawyers are welcome to them.

11. 605jimmy

605jimmy Member

Full specced Mac Pro is just over $20K. Some serious money right there. Would rather buy a bitcoin :D

12. everybodies

everybodies Member

oh yea. just had a look. iMac Pro base model 7300$.
    of course every option is double price:
    4TB SSD 4,500$ while sumsung evo 4TB SSD is under 2k.
    128 DDR4 ECC 3800$ u can buy that for 1/2 price elsewhere.
    at least Apple is consistent with their rip off prices

13. giles666

giles666 Member

Out of interest, what are you buying instead?

iMac Pro is nice, but if you can get similar perfomance for half the price, I might have to pass.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Our business is heavily invested in Linux for heavy lifting, and macOS for Adobe and AVID overflow work. We were waiting on both the iMac Pro and Mac Pro to make a final decision as to what to do next. The Mac Pro isn't here yet, but it's pretty clear what direction Apple are pushing.

So, to answer your question, we're investing in Windows to cover the few bits of software that don't run on Linux (and in our industry, about 90% of our software runs on Linux, which is the bit of information that surprises most folks). That means updating our Windows licensing, installers, management software and the rest. But we're literally saving 50% on hardware from the get go, and have the ability to customise hardware better (we have certain requirements throughout the business that mandate custom PCI-E cards or higher specced equipment than Apple can provide).

Again, the 5K screen is of little interest to us right now. 4K screens are good enough for our needs, and given that every artist wants 2 screens, the cost blowout on Apple gear becomes unwieldy.

From a vendor point of view, we're open to a few folks at the moment. We used to buy a lot of Supermicro gear to bring the cost right down, but folks like HPE are competing very strongly in the cost department, and offer us way better enterprise support than either Supermicro or Apple on top. But that's not set in stone, and nor will it ever be (we tend to use tools that are hardware vendor agnostic, specifically so we can drop vendors when they do stupid things, which they all do at one point or another).

We've played with HP Z8 workstations last month that price way better than iMac Pros, and offer far better performance. Again, that's not set in stone, but it's looking like a good option at this stage.

15. Phido

Phido Member

Those HP Z8 workstations are nice. It would be hard to be disappointed if you could load them up.
    I would imagine z6's would be fine for many not all tasks are going to work across that many cores.

You can then load it up more often or upgrade more regularly.

16. Dozer-zz

Dozer-zz Member

Those HP Z8 Workstations do look nice!

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Oh hey, I remember this thread. Way back when Apple said they gave a shit about workstation users, and the Mac Pro would arrive in 2018.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/5/17202710/apple-mac-pro-new-2019-release-date-confirmed

Yeah, nah. 2019 now. And no month specified. Another big "fuck you" from Apple to workstation users.

They *are* nice. I recommend all Mac Pro users needing to upgrade migrate to them.

2SHY, flu!d, thecondor and 1 other person like this.
  18. proffesso

proffesso Member

"There is also some talk now that the new Mac Pro may be one of the first devices Apple outfits with an ARM-based processor, as part of its groundbreaking shift away from Intel chips revealed by Bloomberg earlier this week. The timeline for that to happen is 2020, so it seems unlikely the new Mac Pro would use an all-new custom Apple chip set. But it is a possibility. Unfortunately, we won’t probably hear more about the new Mac Pro until much later this year, and even then details are likely to be sparse."

phew, thats good to hear, it wouldnt be an apple pro product if it worked well with industry standard software and gear.

19. epo299

epo299 Member

that was quite a read. Makes the Trump Vs Clinton debates seem tame and pointless

20. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Quiet in here. Thought there would be a post about the new MacBook Pros, configurable up to 32gig of Ram and 4TB ssd, Coffee Lake Processors and new quieter keyboard.