New Monster Boy & Wonder Boy III remake

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Aug 15, 2016.

1. power

power Member

I've always been a bit of a controller whore (I have a shit tonne of different controllers) and I always found the MS pad to be super crappy - from new. Although, and it does cop a lot of crap for it - the much lauded X360 controllers d-pad was pretty much just as bad.

Thought this was a good article about the game too.

More Classic Games Need Remakes Like Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

also - yes please!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I don't disagree that the SMS pad wasn't perfect. The NES and SNES default controllers are miles ahead of Sega's best efforts on both SMS and MD, no doubt. But the SMS pad wasn't nearly as terrible as the Internet would have you believe. Not the best, but certainly toward the top end compared to some of the shit that was out there in 8 and 16 bit land (first and third party).

If I'm playing emulators today, a SNES style controller is where I choose to go. The only downside is the button layout is a bit crappy for MegaDrive games, but that SNES D-Pad and controller shape/size is spot on. The Wii Classic Controller was almost as good, and perfect for all the old Wii VC games (I only have one, wish I'd bought two first party controllers).

As for the various XBox d-pads - I'd rather cut my fingers off and play by mashing the bloody stumps into the controller PCB. That thing is terrible. You can tell the purpose of the design was to push developers away from the D-pad and force analogue control. Absolutely disgraceful.

God, I *cannot* watch newbies play this game. It's so painful to watch.

My 9 year old son has been playing this a bit, and just charges in to everything like a maniac. He's dying A LOT and getting frustrated. He'll watch me play, and see my more calculated movements. Even though I'm moving a lot slower, I get through the game in a fraction of the time he does. You can see how much he struggles with slowing down and taking his time on more difficult games, but it's a great exercise in patience for him. After a couple of days, he's really starting to enjoy it.

3. power

power Member

The X Box one has quite possibly the best d-pad ever made. Seriously try it.

and puhlease, MD controller > SNES dogbone thing, and the Saturn pad perfected Sega's pad.

heh, modern gamers eh?

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

Will reserve judgement on it until I've used one. Don't have an XBOne yet. Plan is to get one a bit later when they drop in price (unless Microsoft are going to do the continuous upgrade thing, and them I'm out).

Son, you and I are gonna have words.

Haha not so much that. It's just one of those things where I've played this to death for decades (I literally pull it out at least once every couple of years and smash through it).

*Especially* the opening dungeon/maze - I can scream through that in about 2 minutes. Gets frustrating as hell to see people taking so many hits and going the wrong way. Like watching a baby learn to walk when you're already running marathons.

I suspect this is how high-level StarCraft players feel watching me flounder with that game. :lol:

5. nimmers

nimmers Member

Haha no way!

Marketing: "Yeah its the Street Fighter 2 button layout on a Joypad we're totally gonna rub it in Nintendo's faces"

Any gamer after using one: "I wish I had two thumbs on my right hand :("

6. power

power Member

I have this tendency to buy controllers for PC, so I owned a 360 controller (before the console actually came out :) ) and I have a One Elite (holy shit it's nice - but it was fooking expensive) even the basic One is still super nice, it has a very solid build, good weight really nice clicky d-pad and just so sticks with this nice little grip on top which improves the horrid quick wear tops of the 360 controller - the only thing that let's the One pad down is the face buttons mostly feel like a crossover from the 360 and they had this tendency to wear a bit my One face buttons are still going well so I'm hoping the resolved that. Even the triggers were improved with a nice firm bump stop and better spring. What a controller.

As long as those words are, ok I admit it the Saturn had the best classic controller of all time that's fine. Speaking of, how nice were the Saturn NiGHTS and Dreamcast sticks - they had this nice rolling action that no-one has done since and the tops were fantastic too (much better than the 360 or even PS3 especially as they age).

Yeah modern gamers are very used to having their hands held and not dying a lot and learning on their own. I hope that releases like this will give newer gamers an appreciation for games like this - and I hope it's profitable, DotEmu do such great work that I want them to succeed.

Starcraft pros - sweet jeebus they are freaks, in a good way though.

Come on nimmers, every serious fighting fan had a stick! I still have my Saturn arcade stick, it's a cracker.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

I have an official Sega-made Saturn clone controller (exactly the same build as a real Saturn pad), but with PS3 guts inside. Sega made these for a short run, and I picked one up for both playing my Sega Classics Collection on PS3 and for use on PC. Very nice for SMS and Megadrive games.

My son plays a fair bit of retro gaming (emulators on his PC, as well as retro-styled indie games). He prefers an Xbox 360 pad for anything that needs analogue, but happily uses a Playstation 1 digital pad (no thumbsticks) through a USB converter for older style games. Not terrible at all, even with the odd "4 button" gamepad (which is what the Switch has too, and honestly isn't too bad for Dragon's Trap).

But look, all of those pale in comparison to the SNES gamepad. Single best gamepad ever made. End of story.

This has been the word of elvis.

8. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Played about 30minutes so far. I've absolutely no idea what i'm doing but it's a pretty cool game :thumbup:

9. Boneman

Boneman Member

Somebody tell these guys to do Landstalker next. :thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Honestly, I hope LizardCube just keep pumping this stuff out. Even if it's a 2-3 year wait between gigs (in fact, longer waits are better if it means better quality products like these, and not rushed affairs).

I don't care what's next. Shut up and take my money!

11. Krumm

Krumm Member

Slightly off topic but is that one of those white play sega ones? I had wondered about them.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

I believe so. I'll dig it out of the controller box tomorrow and take some photos. Pretty sure I still have the packaging it came in too.

13. power

power Member

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

If I wasn't already miles over my gaming budget for this quarter, I'd be in. :upset:

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  17. Shags

Shags Member

Can't wait for this to come out - myself and the Mrs are looking forward to reliving Sega memories :)

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

19. Grant

Grant Member

The Windows version actually got released on Thursday evening and I snapped it up then.

Absolutely agree with all the praise the game has gotten, even more so for the stuff they've added onto the base game.

I completed the original mode in 2 sittings, but it wasn't until I'd finished it that I noticed the charm stone challenges (starting with the awesomely nostalgic entrance to the hu-man stone). That gave me another solid session or three of working through those (I found the mouse-man one hardest), and then I had a go at replaying the game in hard mode.

I think a lot of the appeal to younger audiences in the 90s (when it was released in Australia) came from the fact that the PAL version was a bit slower and easier (and the music was the correct speed :p ), so playing it for the first time at full speed on an emulator was a bit harder, then the hard mode in this remake was a nice step up again.

Love the way they did the end credits too :cool:

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

Agreed. I really enjoyed that.