1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

New Monster Boy & Wonder Boy III remake

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Aug 15, 2016.

1. aeon.Nemesis

aeon.Nemesis Member

Played all the originals as a kid.. $60 is a fair whack for an indie game (I'm especially skeptical of high price indie games after sinking $60 on Yooka-Laylee on switch).

But if this game is anything like Wonder Boy in Monster Land (played primarily on arcade and C64 as a kid) or Wonderboy III: The Dragons Trap then it's definitely worth the money.

It's up for pre-sale at the nintendo e-shop for $60.. or $61 at ozgameshop for a physical (never purchased from, they reputable?)

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

They're based out of the UK, so postage isn't super quick, but I've bought at least 20 games from them over the years, no problems.

Agreed. Although I'm finding these things seem to be cheaper on other platforms, which probably speaks more to Nintendo's publishing fee than anything else.

3. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

60 bucks for 16 hours worth....? Prob not worth it. I'll get it some point though.. but not 60 bucks.

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    elvis

Apparently Dragon's Trap is 50% off on the Switch eStore as well. I can't verify currently because for whatever reason, here in Australia we can't check eStore prices online, and they're only available from your console. (Hooray for PAL region gamers getting screwed by Nintendo since forever, rant, rant)

6. power

power Member

Looking good!

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm trying to avoid spoilers (I know, not much of that in a basic platformer, but still...). Annoying that 2018 is all YouTubers getting early release code and streaming hours on end for clicks.

All the same, I have high expectations of this game based on the dev team. These aren't some numpties doing a clone/tribute game. All of them are industry veterans and have been working on this for a loooong time (remember this started as Flying Hamster II 4 years ago!). The reason it finally got changed back into a Monster Land type game was because they got the original Japanese dev on board, and he helped shape the project as well as granted them the IP.

So it's a guaranteed buy from me, based on the credentials alone. Nothing's guaranteed these days of course, but I'm betting it'll be worth the money.

8. aeon.Nemesis

aeon.Nemesis Member

mine shipped from ozgameshop last night.. anyone know how long it takes for them to ship to AU capital cities?

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

I typically get my stuff from them in under a week.

Interesting that it already shipped when the official release date is Dec 4.

10. aeon.Nemesis

aeon.Nemesis Member

i thought maybe they factored in the delayed shipping??

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

10% off on the Nintendo eShop today, bringing the total to AUD$53.10. I caved in and pre-ordered.

Downloading now, will get my first chance to play it tomorrow night.

12. power

power Member

if only they'd known you'd cave at full price!

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Haha joke's on them, right?

My lovely wife bought me a Switch carry case (when she bought me my Switch itself, all for my birthday. Gosh I love that woman). So I've smuggled the Switch into work today, and I'll have a crack at this at lunch time.

14. Sledge

Sledge Member

Am i crazy or is the underwater swimming animations crap? (how he sort of spins onto his head while swimming around)

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

Intro level complete quickly at the end of my lunchbreak. Fantastic. Plays smooth and responsive, music and graphics are an excellent homage to "Wonderboy in Monster Land", "Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap", and "Monster World IV".

You can see the "Wizard of Booze" theme that's been converted over to the new story, which in itself is a nice chuckle.

Early days, but so far I'm really impressed with how polished this is. We'll see how it goes over a few more hours of play.

16. power

power Member

good to hear, i like a good remaster.

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Put a serious few hours into Monster Boy tonight finally. This game is huge. Tonnes of secrets. Old-school hard. Not your average indie title, that's for sure. You can absolutely see where every one of those 5 years went. Polished to the extreme.

This is technically a "spiritual sequel", and not a remake/remaster. I'd say it absolutely belongs in the Wonder Boy series as a proper, unique 7th title (compared to Dragon's Trap, which is the 4th game).

18. aeon.Nemesis

aeon.Nemesis Member

I'm still waiting for mine in the mail :( :(

19. aeon.Nemesis

aeon.Nemesis Member

Mine pauses for a second while it loads the graphics when i switch boots.. quite disruptive. I wonder if that's just the physical version?

20. power

power Member

is this out physical? I tried to buy it the other day but couldn't find it.