New MSI Motherboard USB 2.0 Hubs not working on rear I/O

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by StreekG, Jul 13, 2017.

1. StreekG

StreekG Member

Hi guys,

I have an X99A Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard that i just bought along with a whole new build.

Every time i try to use the rear USB2.0 for powering devices, i get the old "USB device not recognised"

I ahve tried uninstalling the problem entries in Device manager, no success...

I also do not know which one of these drivers manage the USB 2.0 ports as they all say 3.0 on them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Just to be clear the USB2.0 ports work for devices but the issue is when using it to 'power/recharge' devices?

3. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

So my problem has disappeared. I rolled back to a restore point from when i first installed W10 on my new hardware 2 days ago, now everything works... Did something get corrupted during the first install??

But to answer your question, nothing would power off those 2 usb 2.0 ports, they just didn't work. I was originally trying to power my DAC, then i tried using my USB dvd reader, and my portable hard drive. In the end a restoring to an earlier state helped.

EDIT: Nope, after a few days the USB 2.0 ports stopped working again, very confusing

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

So after a few days my rear USB 2.0 ports stopped working again, USB device not recognised.

This is really wierd and i hope i didn't make the wrong move by buying an MSI motherboard.

This really sucks because my watercooling loop is fully assembled.

You guys know of any thing i can try?

5. jpw007

jpw007 Member

As silly as this sounds, but tried reseating all the power plugs into the mobo?

6. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Not silly at all, i can have a look. The rear USB ports are part of the I/O so they are just attached to the motherboard, but i can re-check the power for the mobo.

7. bennyg

bennyg Member

Do you have anything USB that charges or draws power only (i.e. doesn't use the two middle data pins) - to check the ports are properly connected to the mobo (cheap chinese microUSB cable, mobile battery backup pack, etc)

8. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

No everything i use is pretty legit. Steelseries mouse, Audioengine D1 DAC, Ducky Keyboard. Asus external dvd reader and a WD external HD.