NEW P4 has HUGE BTX Cooler !!!

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by OzWolfbane, Dec 28, 2004.

1. OzWolfbane

OzWolfbane Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2005
  2. KVOS

KVOS Member

wow :shock: i thought the evolution of computer components were meant to be getting smaller :D Maybe it will replace the need for aftermarket coolers :thumbup:

3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

now all we need are some btx mobo's to go with it.

4. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

... and a three day per week workout/diet programme so you can get in shape to be able to move the heatsink.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  5. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

6. thormania

thormania Member

i think the sinks acctually attach to the case taking some of the weight from the board i saw it in some reveiw, the fans draw air from directly outside of the case i believe.

7. jascii

jascii Member

It screws down into a plate underneath the motherboard. The sink really isnt as big as it looks, the windtunnels make it look boxy.

Shuttle will be the first out with a picoBTX barebones, the SB86i. I hope they have it in black, instead of the white one on their webpage.

What I think is cool is that this mobo has a pci-e 1x header aswell as slots.

8. jascii

jascii Member

Yes, in through the front of the case, and through a windtunnel to pipe cool air over the chipset and graphics card.

9. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20041225/image/nbtx45.html

as the mans hand stretches to fit around it.

Intel Compliant Power Supplys, Cases, Intel Demands So Much, Glad Im with AMD.

*watches as fan stops spinning....cool n quiet.

10. jascii

jascii Member

I'd prefer an AMD with wind tunnels and a single quiet fan, personally.

11. thormania

thormania Member

AMD could also work to this standard with the same results i guess, but i guess it wont as the word intel is associated with this form factor.

12. cybergecko52

cybergecko52 (Banned or Deleted)

Sorry for any Intel bashing, I like them.... honest :)

I have heard of some problem with this form factor that makes it useless with AMD CPU's. Something about the direct access to the memory or something... Eva2000 (our memory guy) do you know anything about this??

Well, going by the pics on the page you linked to. And going by all current cases, the BTX form will be drawing air via that VERY restricted (sp?) front 'grill'. It looks to be a gap about 4mm deep by 150mm wide, and UNDER the case. WOW, plenty of air flow there, nice one Intel :rolleyes:

Not to mention that the VERY hot air off the damned Intel CPU will then be 'blown' across the rest of the system to be extracted out the back. Can anyone else spot potentional problems there???

Long live ATX, it's trudging along quite fine.... :)

Intel need to stop pissing around with everything and just stick to making CPU's, something they can actually do well. Because they steal their tech from everyone else.... LOL

13. Warhamster

Warhamster Member

Oh my god..... have that fall off and kiss your pc goodbye...

14. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

I wonder if BTX is ever really going to take off. If so i wonder how long it will be. Because AMD appears perfectly happy with it. Everyone is currently using it and not many people are calling for the change.

15. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

I can't say for sure but around the same time AT was moving to ATX (I was in Reception and playing Commander Keen at the time) Im sure it would have been this way....or maybe not...Im not sure...but what I do know is this, BTX is all about Cooling...and well, AMD and Intel are both having cooling problems with their next gen cpu's so....but if the split to dual core cpu's splits the temps in half the BTX Motherboard and Case standard could be all for nothing....

16. nakey

nakey Member

Well, in october, i was part of a team that installed 300 odd HP computers in the country.. All were P4 520s, all BTX...

I have a feeling that BTX would succeec more on the corporate side than the consumer and enthusiast side because we're plenty happy with ATX...

17. OP
    OP
    OzWolfbane

OzWolfbane Member

actually im pretty unhappy with ATX and want something better for the airflow and stuff without having 20 fans inside my case

18. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

Then get a better case. Like the Lian Li Vxxxx series, i have found their airflow great, if its not enough you can add one of those drive mounted intake fans. Its not the standard thats the entire problem, yes it doesnt say that you need airflow in certian ways, but there are cases out there that give perfectly fine airflow.

19. nakey

nakey Member

i get great airflow from just one 120mm fan on the back of my SLK3700BQE...

20. TheNek

TheNek Member

Its not any of the retail market segments that decide if btx will take.
    It is intel and big OEM's. Intel asks Dell, HP, IBM to use it and soon they only make BTX boards. Guess what you will have BTX system.