1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

New PC, AMD?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Nian, Jan 4, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Kinda. I would love an Intel 2011-3 sytem, but the memory and motherboard prices have scared me off a little. The +$1k for the CPU is one thing, the rest is another.

2. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Eh it's fun to dream:

[url href=http://www.pccasegear.com/sc/p16]PC Case Gear - Shared Shopping Cart[/url]
    1 x [url href=http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22829]CoolerMaster Hyper 212X CPU Cooler[/url] - $45.00ea
    1 x [url href=http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28759]Intel Core i7 5820K[/url] - $499.00ea
    1 x [url href=http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28775]ASRock X99-Extreme4 Motherboard[/url] - $299.00ea
    2 x [url href=http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30273]Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS4K4G4D240FSA 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4[/url] - $299.00ea
    1 x [url href=http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26515]MSI Radeon R9 290X Gaming 4GB[/url] - $469.00ea
    Total: $1,910.00 - @pccasegear.com 05/01/2015

3. Digit

Digit Member

Look, the AMD will do what you want, the only issue is that the AM3 platform is pretty much EOL. So future upgrades won't do you any good. The i5 and x99 on the other hand.

For pure gaming, i5 and 290x or 390x if you can hold off would be perfect.

For absolute max performance, jump onto the x99 platform.

Have you looked at performance reviews of the different cpu's in the programs you use? It may be the i5 is more efficient and can catch up a lot of ground on the 8core and.

Let's also not forget power either. If you want budget this should definitely be considered as the difference can be as large at a couple hundred dollars a year.

4. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Maybe if you're encoding all day every day. A 50W difference for 24h a day = 1.2kWh, which is probably about $0.2 considering half will be off-peak; that works out to roughly $73 a year, for the unlikely scenario of constant 100% CPU load.

5. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Mmm the future upgrade issue has had me thinking for a while, but then looking at Intel recently and they seem to obsolete a cpu socket every second year. Look at the Socket 2011. What did it get? Initial release then a refresh. That was is. They even went so far to insult the market by calling the replacement 2011-3.. So does it matter if the chipset/socket will be obsolete and have no upgrades?

6. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Yeh 2011 got sandy-e and ivy-e, 2011-3 gets haswell-e and broadwell-e in q3 this year. Skylake-e isn't due till late 2016 with no socket confirmation, if Intel confirmed that it'd be compatible with 2011-3 it would go a long way to get more early adopters. I'm doubting it will since the VRM's are on die for haswell and Broadwell but not for Skylake I doubt they've provisioned for the new vrms on 2011-3.

look you can't really go wrong with AMD, my gripe is that they haven't refreshed the FX line with Piledriver-b or Steamroller cores and are essentially selling the same cpu's that came out in 2012. They've simply altered the power profile which has improved performance per watt to some degree, but haven't improved performance overall.

7. FarZK

FarZK Member

star citizen is vaporware don't waste money on it yet

get an i5

8. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Really? The game seems to be developing quite nicely. the FPS module will be released real soon, the dogfighting module is getting good too.

They have almost US$69m in funding. If this failed, then the game industry is dead. ;)

Anyway I'm not going i5, i7 2011-3 or AM3+. Maybe I should just get the bottom level 2011-3 and a decent mobo and memory. Not go silly on the ram and wait for better DDR4.

9. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Get a used 6 core Intel i7 setup off the forums and OC it.

Best of both worlds.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  10. TaroT

TaroT Member

even the cheapest 2011 v3 system will cost a bucket at least a grand plus change

go steal a cheap 4770k a cheap board and some cheap ddr3 if you want an upgrade

amd will use ddr4 on the next platform as will intel when they destroy the 1150 but at the moment ddr4 is just too dear and too slow for the money, so in the year or so when all the new gear comes out the ram will be worth 20 bucks :)

as for amd...go on to the for sale forum grab the 290x for sale for 200 odd and be happy that you still slap a 970 in the face :) and not that far off a 980...who cares about power and in reality if you over clock the 970/980 those big power differences tend to get a lot smaller.

basically what I,m saying is anything you buy now will be old dead tech within the year so second hand it and wait

11. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Anandtech has a really good CPU comparison section on their website. Not being up to date with processors I had a look at PCCG at it seems that the FX-9590 and i7 4790 go for similar money.

Here are these CPUs in comparison: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1199?vs=1289

12. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Which raises the question of overclocking.

The 9590 is at it's limits pretty much. you will probably see 5ghz.

The i7 you will be able to easily shoot to 4.4-4.5ghz, which is considerably more performance.

Take that into account when looking at that anandtech review ;)

13. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

I believe that a better comparison is the FX-8370 vs i5 4690. Sadly only the FX-8350 is available on the anandtech benchmarks.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1198?vs=697

Notice how the real world multi-threaded apps favour the FX. Also the FX-8370 is about $15 cheaper.

14. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

How is that a better comparison? The 8350 is 8 core & the 4690 is a 4 core without HT :confused: Either way, the 4690 still destroys the AMD in %98 of the tests.

15. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Given that I'm NOT LOOKING AT THE FX-9590?!? :)

Also as someone mentioned, the FX-9590 is already overclocked, where as the FX-8370 still has some head room and isn't 220 watts.

16. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

HT is a load of shit anyway, its all about price, when Athlon came out did you not compare them to intel due to AMD having lower MHz? Nope you compared the $200 chip to the $200 chip.

Having used both intel are full of shit. Real world your would be so hard pressed to pick, just grab what ever makes you happy. For me i like to use AMD and regret the 3930K, its boring and has no soul. (had X58 before and it was much better) and in REAL WORLD gaming it make so little difference, get a bigger GPU if you want gaming. I havnt been CPU bottle necked since i was a 13 year old with no money on mummies and daddies computer.

All this talk about EOL sockets, 1156-1155-1150.... 1150 is a EOL socket IMHO.

17. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Well I've got both AMD & Intel systems sitting right next to each other so I'm not just talking smack or a fanboy. When gaming, I can instantly tell the difference between the two systems. Minimum FPS are ALWAYS higher/way more stable & all round feels a HELL of a lot smoother on the Intel system. But whatever, I'm over trying to convince people otherwise.

18. staffy007

staffy007 Member

was a amd fanboy for a time until I bought intel , OP won't know till he does

19. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

So the only difference is the CPU? Same RAM, GPU, SSD, OS, OS install date, Bloatware, Drivers, same game? SAME MOUSE, yes mice can break a FPS smooth feeling (was about to dump wifes 5970 due to jitters, turned out was just the mouse)

Your not comparing sandy to a 940 etc are you? because the new oct cores are much better.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  20. balckjok3r

balckjok3r (Banned or Deleted)

I have found for games you really need an intel. I have massive slow downs in MP games of D3 when lots of crap is flying all over the screen. I have upgraded my vid card to a 7950 running at stock and not throttling under load as temps are steady 65C and its basicly the same. I get card load dropping to around 25% when this happens. Watching task manager for cpu usage I get the last core spiking but not all the way to the top. All other cores are hardly being used.

However in video encoding this machine fly's, no slow downs, uses all cores to about 50%. ::thumbup:

Starting to really regret going with AMD for this build as it was for games. A 2500k would still fine for games I think and would have cost me about the same. My motherboard sucks balls, probably should have sent it back straight away but it took so long to install I really couldn't be bothered.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015