New PC, AMD?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Nian, Jan 4, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Until you go past 3.5Gb and it goes to SHIT.

2. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

In what situation would you be using 3.5GB without framerates already being unplayable?

3. lionman

lionman Member

Buy an AMD system.

Someone has too, we don't want them to go out of business.

4. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

I noticed very little performance difference going from an FX 8350 to an i7 4790K, carrying over the two r9 290's in crossfire on a 1440p screen

5. AusTerror

AusTerror Member

Did someone say that SC will be using double precision on the GPU?

Nvidia don't do double very well.

6. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

All depends on how CIG uses gpgpu / opencl. If we see some serious multi-threading and gpu processing. E.g. HSA, well then we can also expect the GPU's double precision to make a big difference.

As it is now however, if they just use double precision from the CPU, we will see no benefit with the GPU's having decent double precision.

7. sulc84

sulc84 Member

Friend told me that I need to avoid ATI and get NVIDIA ?

8. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

Read the thread.

9. lionman

lionman Member

ATI don't exist anymore so your not going to have any trouble avoiding them.

AMD are better value, but use more power/run hotter.

Nvidia have the fasted cards, but are more expensive.

There isn't any particular reason to avoid AMD though, unless the heat/power usage is a concern to you or you want/need the absolute fasted card.

10. sulc84

sulc84 Member

But in my case ..In history all my ati(amd) cards survived and with nvidia about 60% case ?

11. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Most like the cards fault (VRMs etc) not the chip. Even tho i have noticed the same trend of nvidia cards not lasting i would still recommend nvidia, its just hard to with their apple style pricing.

12. dmandn

dmandn Member

Same issues with Nvidia cards, both at home and at work.

The difference between Intel and AMD is usually not that big.

Same the money and go the AMD route, especially for graphics if you plan to run higher res than 1920x1080.

13. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Nvidia have had a few problems in the past, ignoring design rules from the semiconductor fab. I think by now they have learned some very expensive lessons.

As has been said, Nvidia has the lead in performance per watt (for now, new cards from AMD around the corner). AMD has better performance per dollar.

People will piss and moan about drivers for either company, but they generally have NFI what they're doing and like to have something, anything to blame, other than themselves, because of course they as an end user are infallible ;) Genuine showstopper driver bugs from either company are pretty rare.

14. Eagertman

Eagertman Member

AMD 7850K IMO. Heatpipe direct touch heatsink with no heatpipe gaps (I think CM make one like that) 5.0ghz or close to is achievable (or more, actually).

HSA is the future!

DDR3-2666 ram - best value atm. 2x4GB kits

Videocard - Whatever is best price/performance, with 4GB video mem.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  15. sulc84

sulc84 Member

But drivers support for amd is so bad.. Look the date of last driver ?

16. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

^Best logic......
    /facepalm

9 December, what's wrong with that? If it works fine, it doesn't matter if the driver's from a year ago.

They're probably getting together everything they possibly can for 390/x launch in the next couple of months.

17. AusTerror

AusTerror Member

One thing I've noticed in the AMD vs Intel thing (which someone above might have mentioned) is the Intel mainboards are often missing features unless you pay for the top end mainboards.

Something I've noticed at work as we buy various bits of hardware. If I want a cheap Intel mainboard, it often won't have all SATA3 ports, it will be a mix of SATA2 and 3.

But if I buy an equivalent AMD mainboard all the SATA ports are SATA3.

Intel also has different CPU lines with different features. Last time I looked, some of the CPUs didn't have the VM tech (I forget its name).

So it makes buying Intel much more confusing.

I use AMD systems. They are fit for purpose. I've not had any driver issues either. Trying to find the correct drivers from the Intel website can be a challenge...

18. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

What I found is that there are no cheap AMD boards. Which is odd, seeing everyone says you can save money. At PLE they cheapest AMD boards start 92 and 129, which is too much. The one for 92 is based on an ancient chipset has no front-header USB 3. There is also very little choice, just a few models.

For most a basic uATX board is all they need, and you can still pair it up with a decent CPU.

The point about CPU features is correct though. Even the cheap AMD chips support everything whereas with Intel you really need to study the specifications to find out what the cheaper CPUs don't support.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  19. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

The price has jumped 25% because of the bad AU dollar. The cheapest was around $70. You will find the intel boards will jump in cost too.

20. AusTerror

AusTerror Member

Yep, I've noticed the prices rising. It is a little annoying :(