1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

New PC, AMD?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Nian, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Grab an 8370, a decent Mobo (UD3, M5A99FX Pro or above etc) and a half decent AIO and you'll have no issues over the next few years.

the newer chips are clocking better than what my 9590 can achieve on average so you can keep the voltage down and temps under control quite easily.

I used to run 2 x R9 290's before at 1440p and they were beautiful.

Happy hunting :D

2. newlife

newlife Member

If you want cheap AMD board with good features am3+ while cheaper than Intel is not the right platform but fm2/fm2+ is much better suited to cheap boards where a high end board costs $125 which when paired with an A8-6600k makes a pretty good system for a low price.

Any AMD 8 core is very bad value for money but the 6 cores have pretty good value for money.

3. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

4. power

power Member

see my post below from the pCARS thread - unfortunately AMD are not performing when if comes to supporting current customers - who gives a shit if they are "getting ready" for an imminent launch - what about customers who've already put down their hard earned?

This is one of many reasons I would never give AMD money for a GPU - that and their horrendous support of mobile GPU's would see me never buy an AMD/ATi powered lappy either.

I actually read something very interesting about AMD and Project Cars last night.

AMD really dropped the ball/shit the bed on this one.

Project CARS Benchmarked: Brutal Weather Conditions

5. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Sadly, given Nvidia's lack of morals, I find it hard to believe the above story. You can guarantee lots of money and a bit of propriety nvidia code exchanged hands.

6. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Citing one example of a problem with a single game (of which regardless whether money exchanged hands, is still clearly optimized for and full of Nvidia advertising) doesn't really change the landscape. Not without going through every issue both manufacturer has had over many years.

Historically, None of the issues in this case is unique to AMD

-Long periods between official driver releases (unless it's consistent.. which it isn't)

-Performance problems on launch of a game

-Angry developers @ x company

7. power

power Member

wow, so calling pCARS devs liars - classy.

8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I'm not calling them liars at all. I was deemphasizing the issue of money. A Dev can have a better relationship with a given hardware mfger without money changing hands

9. power

power Member

pCARS have even said the optimised for AMD citing consoles as an example (we all know these have ATi GPU's)..

direct quote.

ATi have a track record for poor drivers. This is merely a continuation of this trend.

nVidia also have a track record of working closely with devs.

10. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Nvidia have a track record of propriety code that deliberately sabotage the competition...

11. power

power Member

Both companies have proprietary code, they are competitors of course both companies will develop code to make their gpu's perform best.

12. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Except when nvidia tries to sneak it in to game source. Remember the Batman Arkham Asylum debacle.

13. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Unfortunately optimizing for the console's CGN GPU's doesn't automatically translate to an optimized PC experience.. the API's are vastly different. There may be some performance benefits that carry over, but performance issues can still easily crop up.. well, this game is case in point I guess.

Maybe they do.. infact, I'd say certainly they do. As does Nvidia.

Do they have a worse record.. at the very least, nowhere near as much so as times gone past.. It is certainly close enough to argue over. I'm not into multi-GPU, but if i'm not mistaken AMD still have work to do here to match nvidia.

Id' say at the current time, AMD are struggling with the current release and it's long wait for an official update , with a couple of games needing attention. Again though, it's a snapshot in time.

I've had both makes over the years, flip flopping between NV and AMD, and I moved from my GTX580 to a HD7970 because of the BF3 issues at launch with a lot of NV cards, including mine. That just happend to be a time when AMD had both a significant performance advantage, and for this particular game, a stability advantage. In the end i've had a near flawless experience, but i do play a limited number of games. So I'm not going to use my exp to make any judgment to be honest.

The only point is , people will have bad experiences with either make, and even if you could find hard statistics to say Nvidia have less issues, that's not going to stop someone who's not had issues, continuing to use AMD (or recomend a particular AMD card based on value),

Likewise, it's not going to stop someone who has had issues with Nvidia from trying AMD/Ati

Again, as do AMD, you just said it yourself :p :

See above, as Power said - both companies do this. I don't think you'll find Nvidia did anything malicious here. UT3 engine didn't support AA, and , again due to nvidia's involvement in this particular game, incoroprated in game AA, where AMD did not.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  14. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Actually there was a huge scandal over it, basically nvidia give copyrighted code to the game developer for a standard feature, within that code will be a hardware check, anything non-nvidia and the feature is disabled. AMD even proved it by spoofing one of their cards as an nvidia card and played with full AA, no problems.

15. hotpants86

hotpants86 Member

You really should've just named this thread I love AMD, fuck nvidia :rolleyes::thumbdn:

16. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Well it was actually a system build. More interested in the CPU / Chipset side of things, plus other parts, Seriously tho I didn't talk much or asked about the GPU, because honestly. As Linus Torvalds famously said. "Nvidia Fuck You"

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  17. hotpants86

hotpants86 Member

You asked people for their opinion and when people recommended you go with i5's you pretty much immediately posted an AMD-based system. With self-confessed AMD boys telling you that even they have switched over because AMD can't compete with intel you just continued to wave the AMD flag.

Like, why even bother asking if you're set in your ways?
    There's nothing wrong with you going AMD. It doesn't affect anybody else but you should've just called the thread what it was instead of using the guise of asking for other peoples' opinions on which way to go instead of clearly having made up your mind.

18. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Did you notice where the thread was made? Give you a hint. It starts with A.

As for set in my ways, if there was a strong reason not to go AMD, I wouldn't have. As the reasons were not overly convincing and the alternatives were more expensive. I went ahead with the build.

19. newlife

newlife Member

How the fuck did a thread about AMD CPU's turn into a AMD vs NVidia GPU fight?

20. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Nothing out of the ordinary here on OCAU, very normal.