New PC Bits - Keeps Restarting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Scorpion121, May 29, 2011.

1. Scorpion121

Scorpion121 Member

Hi guys,

Wondering what I should do.

I bought a new motherboard, RAM, Geforce TI 560 and an i7 2600k CPU, installed it all and when I turn it on it'll try to boot but just restarts, within usually 10 seconds.

I've checked the PSU (it's a Seasonic 550W) with a PSU tester and it's fine, it's currently powering my old hardware right now (moved my old Core 2 Duo stuff back in).

I can't test the CPU with another motherboard and same thing with the motherboard, can't test it with another CPU.

I've tried booting it up with just the motherboard, CPU, one stick of RAM (tried alternating them both) and my old video card outside of the case, yet it still does the same thing.

What is the most likely cause?

How can I RMA something when I'm not sure which part is failing?

2. Samson

Samson Member

Could be a number of reasons.

If I were you I would start again, double checking everything.
    - Ensure CPU HS&F are correctly seated and fan spins.
    - Double check your mobo and bios support the CPU you are using.
    - Double check your ram is compatible.
    - Reset BIOS to default and check clock and voltages are what they should be.
    - Do a full RAM test via the BIOS (if supported)

Personally I wouldn't re-use an older PSU with new parts. Especially power hungry video cards. Does your PSU support Dual PCIe 6-pin power plugs or are you using 4pin Molex Adaptors?

Some mobos require an extra power plug for the PCIe bus. Make sure that's plugged in.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
    Samson

3. Hyram

Hyram Member

Let me guess, your new motherboard is a Gigabyte.

If so, a) you need to ensure all eight secondary power lines are plugged in (four isn't enough) and b) you need to find an older processor that will suit the board, install it, then flash the BIOS to the newest version, then you can put your new CPU back in.

GA are notorious for shipping boards with older versions of the BIOS that don't recognise new CPUs, and if the BIOS can't lock the proc it has a hissy-fit. If you check your board's CPU compatibility list on GA's site, you'll see that you'll need a particular version of the BIOS for some processors. If you're quick and know where to look on the POST text screen (hit TAB to get rid of the graphic as soo as your monitor lights go on) you'll probably find the BIOS is F1 or F2, especially if the board you've chosen has been on the market for six months.

If you can't find an older CPU so you can re-flash, contact the place of purchase and see if they'll do it and send the board back. Most places (which excludes outfits like MSY and Umart) will deal with it under an RMA so the only cost to you is postage back to the shop.

4. Sico Music

Sico Music Member

Wow this only just happened to me a couple of days ago. Heres my thread:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=961762

And RyoSaeba method that worked for me.
    1. Remove power plug.
    2. Remove CMOS battery
    3. Reset BIOS jumper and leave it in for 45-60minutes.
    4. Put BIOS jumper back
    5. Put Battery back
    6. Plug power cable back in
    7. Power PC up.

5. OP
    OP
    Scorpion121

Scorpion121 Member

Cheers for the replies guys, 40 minutes? Shyte, I just did it for 10 seconds.

Just ordered a new PSU, see how it goes with all of the above.

6. brett_lp

brett_lp Member

A computer i just built has the exact same problem, but after a bit of tinkering (i have no idea what i done) it logs into windows. tho if i press the restart button, it goes and has the hissy fit! i was subscribed to the earlier post by Sico Music to find out how they fixed it. i think the parts were also i7 2600, GA-P67A-UD5-B3, an corsair vengeance ram.

7. lamy

lamy Member

You have the ram in the correct slots? slots 1 and 3 on some boards are 2 and 4 on others

I've had the problem you have by simply inserting the ram into the wrong slots. what i thought were 1 and 3 turned out to be 2 and 4 and hence no boot, just continuous reboots.

Go back to the manual to eliminate this possibility

Good Luck

Lamy

8. easterhat

easterhat Member

Do you have a speaker installed to check if it is throwing off an error?

9. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh it seems that it takes a bit of time for the capacitors to completely discharge. That's why you leave it there for 40min. Most instructions i've read says 1 hour.

10. OP
    OP
    Scorpion121

Scorpion121 Member

Nah case doesn't have one.

Pretty sure, though I did try it with just one as well as the dual.

11. easterhat

easterhat Member

Having a speaker helped me diagnose last time I had an error - might be worth cannibalising an old case if you can. If it's doing some sort of beeping then it will give you an idea of where to start looking. Check to make sure the pins on your CPU aren't damaged (that was my problem :))

12. orby

orby Member

You might have already tried this:
    Try one stick of ram in each ram slot, if that one doesn't work, then repeat process with the other.

13. brett_lp

brett_lp Member

I solved this issue last night.

Jump on the gigabyte website, download the lastest bios (theres actually one that says restart problem), extract it to a thumb drive, restart, go to bios, look for something that says q-flash down the bottom, and follow the prompts.

14. Sent2Strike

Sent2Strike Member

So you installed all these new components and are still using the same installed configurations for your operating system. Usually after a new Mobo and Cpu upgrade you will need to reinstall windows. Particularly if you have any kind of Raid install. You might be able to do a windows repair and boot from disc.

15. OP
    OP
    Scorpion121

Scorpion121 Member

New PSU in, still the same issue :(

Cheers for the tip but I wish I had that long before it restarts itself.

Doesn't get that far before it restarts.

Wow how did I miss this post? Sorry about that.

Yep, definitely done A, both are in.

Yes it is a Gigabyte, it's a GA-P67X-UD3 B3 - bought from PC Case Gear, I will contact them tomorrow and see what they say.

No chance in seeing what the BIOS version is, after about 10 goes at it I would've saw the actual POST screen for about .2 of a second.

Thanks a lot for all the replies, really appreciate it!

16. brett_lp

brett_lp Member

17. Hyram

Hyram Member

They'll say "Bugger! Send it back, we'll flash it. Here's your RMA, make sure you put it on the label."

That's paraphrasing the responses I got both times I had to return a board when doing a build for someone.

PCCG = :thumbup:

18. brett_lp

brett_lp Member

Yeah PPCG is great for that, just sent one back 2 weeks ago, they couldnt fix it so i got a replacement free of charge from the distributor.

19. OP
    OP
    Scorpion121

Scorpion121 Member

Just called PCCG, they reckon the board is newer than the CPU so it should be supported, no way for me to know without seeing the BIOS version I'm running though.

Anyways, they asked me to check to ensure I haven't bent any pins (not sure how that's possible, put CPU in, close bracket), but will do and if I can't fix myself, I need to send it in after filling out their form.

Betcha my copy of Witcher 2 arrives today as well :)

20. Zaeed

Zaeed New Member

I have the exact same problem.

Brand new parts, but the pc keeps restarting on load.. Sometimes it does make it as far as the windows load screen, at which point it is ok, but it then after a while, randomly shuts itself down.. I.e. last night I copied data off my old c: (using eSata) to a portable hdd. I left it going, and when I checked it this morning, it had shut down.

CPU i7 2600K
    Gigabyte P67 UD7 B3
    Corsair Vengence 16Gb
    ATi HD 6970 (from old pc, working fine)
    OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
    Corsair HX1000

I'm thinking that this might be a cpu overheat issue. I'm currently only using the stock fan, it looks pretty weak.
    The other possible issue I think, is that the USB is drawing too much current. I have a Razer Lycosa which needs two usb plugs. It however worked on my old system without issue.

Thoughts?