1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

New PC: Windows Freezes on Cold Start 1-2 mins after Login.

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by YoMasteR, Jan 18, 2010.

1. YoMasteR

YoMasteR Member

Hi Guys,

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place. Apologies if this is the wrong place and could a mod move to the right section.

I have recently built a system running Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium OEM:
    i5 750
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P
    Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 2000mhz 2x2gb (4GBRH)
    HIS Ati 5770 (with new cooler, egg shape)
    Samsung 1tb F3
    TP Link 851N PCI
    Antec True Power New 650W

The problem i am having is during a cold start; the pc will boot up normally. I can log into windows. But after a few mins the pc just locks up (not even BSOD, the screen just becomes a blank empty desktop). I am then forced to do a hard reset.

After the hard reset, everything works fine and I cant replicate the issue until the next cold start.

So everytime I cold-start my computer (after it has been off for the night) it would crash and I have to hard reset it for it to work without further issues. It is very annoying.

I have done a 13hr memtest on the ram with no reported errors. I have the latest bios for the motherboard (F6). Latest graphics drivers (Catalyst 9.12). Everything is stock, and I have not mucked around in the bios with voltages and stuff.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Overclocked anything?

I would look at the ram. Officially only 1333 is supported.

Set your ram to that speed and see if you get the issue tomorrow morning!

3. FireTech

FireTech Member

Uninstall and try 9.08 drivers instead.

4. Mr. Cyphon

Mr. Cyphon New Member

Corrupted OS installs do happen. Could always try reinstalling the OS.

Other things to check are the PSU, if you have a PSU tester.

5. OP
    OP
    YoMasteR

YoMasteR Member

Hi guys thanks for your input so far!

I built the computer for a friend so its not with me at the moment.

Gigabyte states the board supports "Support for DDR3 2200/1600/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules"

now 2000 is not in there....but it supports 2200?

I will give all the suggestions that has been posted here a go. As you know, this problem only occurs on a cold-start so its time consuming to troubleshoot...

If it helps, Dragon Age runs fine on max settings so im not sure if its psu or graphics related.

6. sovann

sovann Member

It's the Gskill Ripjaws. I had the same issue with my build and ended up returning the RAM. Take a look at the Gskill support forums - there are loads of people with the same issue, and the only solution is to RMA them and hope that the next set is ok.
    http://gskill.us/forum

You'll probably find that memtest returns errors when the machine is cold, but once it's warmed up, it's fine.

7. gmeup

gmeup Member

could also be the video card, my 5970s for locking up after boot until i increase the idle mhz from 157 to 300 than problem was solved.

8. lowdog

lowdog Member

Yeah it's the vid card. Just do some research on modifying your 2D clock speeds via the xml file that is created when you set up a profile and you'll be well on your way to getting it sorted out. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  9. ic3solo

ic3solo Member

My PC has issues with the Sound card not being recognised in the BIOS every reboot.

I have to manually set the PCI-E frequency to 99, boot and my card is recognised. I set the PCI-E frequency to 101 on the next boot, and the sound card is recognised.

Obviously, when my Windows 7 sleeps, my sound card isn't recognised and it hangs/crashes. No BSOD, but the mouse doesn't move and I need to redo my booting trick to get it to work. My PC is 100% stable, memtest / PI / Intel Burn test all pass no problem.

You might have the same issue with device drivers dropping out after a reboot or something similar. Food for thought :)

10. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

I am betting on the PSU being the problem .. ANTEC = crap.

11. OP
    OP
    YoMasteR

YoMasteR Member

Sorry for the late update, i havent had the chance until today to try.

I ran memtest on a cold boot, and the ram gave a lot errors. Which is leading me to believe its the same problem as sovann described above.

And note, when it freezes, it just becomes a plain blue screen...like explorer.exe crashed or something, no icons/taskbar/etc...keyboard is not responsive and no mouse cursor either.

What do you guys think...?

12. FireTech

FireTech Member

Remove/replace one stick at a time and retest to see if it's just one stick at fault?

13. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

geta freind with a known good lot of ram and test with that, if theres a thread about the issue which someone has already told you and your ram is failing thing what else could it be but the ram.

14. core2dubious

core2dubious Member

are you running the ram at 2000 mhz? you might need to manually configure your voltages in bios to get the ram running at those speeds without errors.

15. OP
    OP
    YoMasteR

YoMasteR Member

Sorry for the lack of updates. I did try manually setting the ram speeds,etc. Didn't work.

I took the ram back and had it swapped for some Kingston 1333 value ram and the problem is now gone. The guy at umart store said gskill ram has a high rma rate. Told me to try Kingston as they are much more reliable.

Thanks for all ur help and suggestions! my problem is now solved.