New power supply caught fire

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by PsychoticOrc, Dec 20, 2018.

1. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

So I brought some new parts put it all together and made sure everything was connected correctly only for when I turn it the power supply catches fire on one of the sata power connecters, not only that but it’s taken out the 4tb HDD I had installed as it’s melted the power input. Question is if I go in Monday to Scorptec are they likely to replace it on the spot as I don’t have the time nor the money to wait or replace it with another out of pocket and sadly
    I can’t test any of the other parts as I don’t have another power supply so I don’t know if anything else has been damaged.

*edit* pictures here https://imgur.com/gallery/IgvBuHO

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  2. chook

chook Member

That would be a major issue which means you can get a repair, replacement or refund at your discretion. If Scorptec have stock then get a replacement. If not, get a refund and buy a different model or take the money and go somewhere else.

3. everybodies

everybodies Member

fark. thats hard core.
    maybe it's the hard drive that caused it? just looking at the pics

4. slavewone

slavewone Member

Possibility that you didn’t plug it in properly? and the connector got hot, increased resistance, got hotter, loop, caught fire?

5. OP
    OP
    PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

I’ve been using the hard drive for over a year in another system so I doubt it was that, it definitely was plugged in correctly as I double checked everything before I powered up the first time.

6. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

Haven't seen that for a few years now, tough luck.

Hopefully nothing else is damaged.

7. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

That's crap :( Don't PSUs have some kind of overload and short protection? The HDD will probably still work if you can replace the sata connector.

Edit: I wouldn't be testing the PSU on any of your hardware tbh.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  8. everybodies

everybodies Member

i've never seen that happen.
    first PC was 486dx33 so only a couple of years ago :)

now im even more paranoid going out with PCs/Macs left on :(

9. ae00711

ae00711 Member

actually, as far as I'm aware, the PSU maker is liable for ALL repair / replacement costs to damaged equipment

10. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Out of interest what PSU was it?

11. philquad

philquad Member

the 1 in the picture ?

looks like a 50-50, how could you determine which was at fault

12. rireland

rireland Member

I would be switching to a different brand of psu, maybe one that is less focused pretty lights and more on ensuring it doesn't catch fire.

13. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Take it to a computer shop and get the PSU digitally tested. Takes 2 mins.

14. breno

breno Member

:eek: did this happen in the case I sent you?

15. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

a) Most likely the hard drive and a short than the PSU, or storm damage. Thermaltake have come a long way in recent years.
    b) To the person in that comments section that suggested a controller swap, forget it. Modern hard drives (anything in last 5+ years) store SMART information on the controller (including position of Sector 0). Unless you have the facility to ghost the SMART information from the chip on the old controller to a new one, forget it. All you'll end up doing is making it far harder to recover data IF you wish to get a data recovery company to look at it.
    c) Was the computer on during the recent storms (as it looks more like a surge). Almost all modern PSUs have an overload circuit and will power off if theres overcurrent.

16. philquad

philquad Member

are you sure ? i had a seagate 2 tb not long ago that i got a new pcb from https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Seagate...h=item1c5b7561dd:g:~lcAAOSwhcJWJ1Y4:rk:9:pf:0
    as the old 1 had a burnt ic? & a techy mate swapped bios chip for me
    worked a treat

17. Chamelion

Chamelion Member

Is it just me or does the damage to both components look like the connector was jammed on the wrong way around somehow?

18. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

If that was the case it would cause a dead short.I had a hard drive with the locating lug broken off, and had to be careful which way I plugged the sata connector on.
    I have four Thermaltake PSU's and had no issues with any.
    Pin out. Reverse the connector and you have a dead short, having power going to ground on some pins.
    Also pins 1,2,3, on the hard drive would be copping +12vdc instead of +3.3vdc
    http://pinoutguide.com/Power/sata-power_pinout.shtml

19. voltare1

voltare1 Member

It's a weakness in the sata power connector that the connection is a touching spring type (brass fingers) that when the drive goes short internally it's created a high resistance the power supply doesn't see as a short. So you get that effect.
    Seen it with some dvd burners. Even in older 350w ATX power supply.

I've rescued drives like that by soldering directly to the drives power connector.

The drive caused the fault, possibly a shorted diode (I've rescued western digital drives by removing this.)

20. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Overload protection will depend on how much extra its pulling and probsbly unlikely on an individual connector so it's overload for the whole PSU. You can overload that cable before your whole PSU is overloaded.