New Program I have written

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Jab, Jan 27, 2007.

1. yoink

yoink Member

I think Ze means that there will always be a way to unonfuscate your code, so as long as the security component doesn't rely on the obfuscation, it will be ok.
    As far as an answer to a bullet proof code obfuscation algorithm goes: there isn't one, although I'm sure some are better than others...

-- yoink

2. Ze.

Ze. Member

Don't rely on obfuscation for security and secret keys embedded in the code. Assume that if the user has something then they know it.

When it comes to setting up secure channels use a mixture of public key and private key cryptography. When it comes to storing user secret rely on a key derived from input from the user.

3. Ravenclaw

Ravenclaw Member

jab if someone steals your code and starts distributing it then the courts are the best way to pursue the matter. i wouldn't worry about obfuscation being a silver bullet. most of the time it creates a large enough effort that rewriting is a better option.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  4. dogstone

dogstone Member

So the lesson here is if you want to protect your data, don't rely on software that hasn't been thoroughly tested. For storing passwords to websites, registration keys, credit card etc, use Roboform. if you want to encrypt your whole disk, partitions, or individual files, use Truecrypt. At least you know you'll be as well protected as is possible with these. But its a good learning exercise for the programmer :thumbup:

5. Luke212

Luke212 Member

this is a good thread! :wired:

6. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Like the crypt keys that unlocked the boot rom on the first x box...

7. stuffisgood

stuffisgood Member

Ya get that when you transmit them over an unencrypted bus...

No such luck on the 360 though, they learnt their lesson :(

8. Oosh

Oosh Member

Most interesting thread.

This one's open source, no obfuscation there, so can you break it?

http://keepass.info/

9. Ze.

Ze. Member

The other problem is they used TEA which had many published weaknesses in academic journal (it was well studied and considered bloody simple to crack).

10. Ravenclaw

Ravenclaw Member

keepass is good. i would still use schneiers password safe over keepass. mainly because i noticed it doesn't encrypt some header information (number of groups, number of entries). not a big deal though, because you can accurately guess the number in password safe from the file length and having that secret isn't necessary.