New programming language. Anyone done it before?

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by foxmulder881, Sep 15, 2012.

1. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

I have been developing my own programming language for several months now. I am just wondering whether anyone else has any experience taking on such a task?

2. adante

adante Member

I've fiddled with DSL's a little but most of the time it has been looking at creating API's/wrapper code to repurpose existing languages.

The reason I've done that is because I think developing your own language is pretty hard*.

I'm curious what your experience with this is though - I think it will be a pretty good indicator of whether you are making the next Scala or VBA.

*exact hardness correlates to purpose of language

3. OP
    OP
    foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

I don't know whether I would describe it as hard, but more complicated. It's difficult to release what's sitting there in your head and put it into actual code. And especially code in a language that does not yet exist. And then you think ahead of what needs to be done, building a compiler and possible a translator of some sorts. Or possibly any required GUI stuff. Yep, complicated.

Regardless, I'm pressing ahead and doing what I can and learning as I go along and when I get on a role, I actually enjoy myself.

4. asher001

asher001 Member

I'd like to know more.

What are you including in the language that will differentiate it from alternatives?

5. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I've done a few CPUs in Verilog that have custom instruction sets, but they've been very basic (on the order of 16 - 64 instructions). Obviously there's a language associated with them, but it tends to be what makes sense from a hardware point of view rather than what will make them easy to program.

On the other hand, it's often good fun to see what you can implement in a very simple language with very limited capabilities.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  6. adante

adante Member

I guess I tend to bundle things which are 'complicated' or 'difficult' as 'hard'. Not sure if we are mincing terms but I'd agree that designing and implementing a programming language is complicated and difficult (and to me at least, hard).

Good luck. Gotta admit I'm curious as to what your'e doing.

7. gcflora

gcflora Member

8. OP
    OP
    foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

9. OP
    OP
    foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

Taken from the Facebook page:

Exactly this! Have you ever heard anyone complain that they think programming is too complicated? I have. Too many times. My language is designed so that once the reader knows the basics of the syntax, they can update to the language syntax and recompile as required. Therefore, increasing the capability of Simple Dictionary Language.

10. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

My friend created his own assembly language called 'FastLogic'.

He then used it to create a basic operating system.

With all the programmers you'll meet in your entire lifetime, he'll be in the top 2. I say top 2 because it would be unfair to say number 1.

You just need a clear goal and purpose for your language.

11. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Curious if you've got a solid codebase up, what license?

I've only ever read a few articles on writing a compiler (ASTs etc) and it is really interesting stuff.

12. OP
    OP
    foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

Researching a few license as we speak. So I am yet to decide. I have all the paperwork printed, so I just have to get the time to sit down and read it all and note the differences between them. I have narrowed it down to four choices.

13. slaytanic

slaytanic Member

14. cyclonite

cyclonite Member

You can make your life a bit easier by targeting something more generic and higher level like the JVM or .NET IL.

Any decent computer science degree will include a compilers course. That's where I got most of my experience. But the fun and interesting parts aren't into writing the lexer, parser, etc. but rather the optimisations and language features.

15. OP
    OP
    foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

Bookmarked for later. Thanks. ;-)

16. adante

adante Member

So side-topic but can anybody recommend some resources for parsing?

This sounds pretty wacky. For assembly language I thought the nature of the CPU essentially determined the language?

17. xsive

xsive Member

I'm not sure what a "dictionary-based syntax" is but nailing down an unambiguous Turing complete grammar sounds pretty complicated to me. Yet you say users should be able to change the grammar on a whim? In order to make things less complicated?

Huh? :confused:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  18. Shimmy

Shimmy Member

Could you give us a code example of what you had planned? Like a hello world?

It sounds like you're trying to actually implement functioning pseudocode. Is it a compiled or interpreted language?

19. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

This. It sounds absolutely impractical. :sick:

20. OP
    OP
    foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

This will make absolutely no sense to anyone other than myself, but here you go:

Code:
    <run> : ;execute #exact#; :: ;327211679