New RAM breakthrough..

Discussion in 'Memory' started by Sledge, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

No it was orange and storage the data is 3D space rather than standard 2D optical disc.
    I think it was this one i was thinking of, right time frame, not 100% sure.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constellation_3D
    Might not be , if memory serves the laser would move and read the material in multiple directions rather than straight up and down rather than just multiple layers. Who knows was 20 years ago, my memory is not that good.

Yes but this was in the late 90s , HDDs were like ~20GB and DVDs were pretty new and only 4-8GB.

I was not saying that its something I wanted now, just pointing to the fact that lots of tech gets announced that sounds good at the time but for whatever reason never really becomes a thing.

hell look at all of the versions of the 3D optical disc on the wiki article (9 if I can count).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_optical_data_storage

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Getting curbstomped on every metric by a competing technology will do that :leet:

3. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

If they did what they said they could it would not have been an issue, I'm sure a 100GB DVDish disc would have done well in ~2001 (2X Bluray, 5 years before its release ) or a 2TB version now if it was cheap and reliable for enterprise Archive (See WORM Tapes in Enterprise). The issue in most cases is by the time the RDA is any where near done competing products are too far a head, that or they just never get out of the lab (Cost, complexity, reliability, corporate dramas).

IE Fusion energy that has been 20 years away for 60 years lol, cant say it would not be good if we got it , almost unlimited clean energy just turns out its a lot harder to get right than everyone thinks at the time or LFTR, like current nuclear but 10X more efficient ,cleaner, safer and burns are industrial waste just does not work economically.

4. Bolter01

Bolter01 Member

back in my day it took four (tries), tape wound, cassettes to load Rebel Star on the Amstrad!! FTW, oh and we used to tie an onion to our belt as was the fashion in the day,

Aetherone likes this.
  5. Reaper

Reaper Member

My Atari is faster and that is in into a game, not a command prompt.