New Rescue Dog? Unsure...

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Sledge, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Sledge

Sledge Member

We have decided to open our home to a new rescue dog after losing Max about a month ago...
    Where we live there's a deaf dog that's been in the kennels for 3 months..She's a Boxer X Mastiff
    She's a large dog.. and very strong and boisterous... while i can hold onto her, it is quite hard...But I don't think she's had a lot of training...
    So i'm a little unsure if it's the right thing to do...

I do like her.. she's very friendly...
    So just thought i'd put this here for comments ;)
    http://puu.sh/ANTc3/ec58bc52ba.jpg
    http://puu.sh/ANTck/a783a44e86.jpg
    http://puu.sh/ANTcV/1b21060c71.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    ruffdayz, adamsleath and mad_mic3 like this.
  2. power

power Member

good on you for going the rescue route - i don't really think it's ever too late to take a dog to obedience training.

Sledge likes this.
  3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well done for doing a rescue, that's absolutely fantastic.

Sledge likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

Agreed..
    whatever dog we get we will take it to training...
    Just not sure if THIS dog will be too much for us..
    While we do want to help her, we don't want her to suffer just because we're too stubborn to admit it's too much etc..

5. power

power Member

i'd be very keen to hear what the trainers say, they'll have the best idea. Dogs are mostly very teachable even when they get older if you are firm and stick to your guns unless they are just arseholes.

6. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

At this stage they're fully booked out for a while...
    But they said that she would need to be with us for a few months before training so that she has formed a bond with us..

I'm starting to think she may be too big/strong for us...
    Maybe we need to meet a few other smaller pups.. :(

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  8. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

What kind of harness is that in the video? I found with our rescue that a good training harness (the kind that pulls them slightly off centre / balance, rather than the pull up type) made a huge difference.

9. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

uploading from phone.. don't know if it'll work...

Attached Files:

10. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

That type of harness might be working against you. I’ve used the following type for my last two rescues with great success. Link

11. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

took the wife to meet her today, and she can't handle her...
    way too strong for her.
    so unfortunately we don't be getting her :(
    but there's still room in the house so someone will come to live with us..

12. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

And then come home to at least an inch of water throughout the kitchen area... and about 1m into the carpeted hallway.. just in time to stop it getting TOO far i think...
    Mixertap hose burst...

[​IMG]

13. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I will probably get howled down but when we had our female Lab and she was young, she was VERY strong and wouldn't do anything but pull, even on a choker. We got a face muzzle, zero pain to her, and the change was immediate. She stopped pulling, became a lot more obedient very quickly and we were able to go to a collar lead very quickly.

Just a thought.

Sledge likes this.
  14. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

I wouldn't give up on this one yet. She seems really sweet and playful, and walks well on a leash (which is a start). Laughed when she booted the metal thing in last video. Them kangaroo legs are strong :D

How deaf is she? Fully? Partial? One ear? Both ears? and why was she surrendered to them? She seems pretty responsive already to training.

A quality harness will help heaps with her.

We have a 35kg show / English Lab. When she decides to pull, she can pull hard. Likewise with a nose always in something going for a walk around the block can be a pain as she always wants to investigate things. Bushwalking she loves though.
    We ended up getting both the Ruffwear Front Range and Ruffwear Web Master Harnesses, as well as an EzyDog Zero Shock Leash. That has largely stopped her pulling. My wife also got the zero shock leash that can be worn around the waist for walking her.

I've also heard the Gentle Leader Head Collar is brilliant for dogs that like to pull (as it pulls them back around again).

Links:
    https://www.leuradoggiestore.com.au/dog-store/ruffwear-front-range-harness/
    https://www.leuradoggiestore.com.au/dog-store/ruffwear-web-master-dog-harness/
    https://ezydog.com.au/zero-shock-leash/
    http://www.gentleleader.com.au/

EDIT: Forgot to say with the above (like in the video) you can double leash them (collar and harness) then remove one or the other as they start to walk better.

Sledge likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

yeah as far as i know she's totally deaf
    trouble is even if she does get better at walking etc. the wife already has had a few operations on her knees, so she could easy damage them again..
    what you see above is after she's been pulling hard for at least 10 minutes already...
    i hate to leave her there, but it wouldn't be fair of us to take her if we can't look after her properly. :(
    we're planning on meeting another one when they can arrange it...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    ruffdayz likes this.
  16. power

power Member

sorry to hear, here's hoping she finds the right owner.

ruffdayz and Sledge like this.
  17. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Both of my rescues absolutely hated that head collar. It did help with the pulling, but they both spent so much time trying to paw it off.

18. hollysmum

hollysmum Member

Head collars are good but you do need to acclimatize the dog to wearing them which should take time, lots of rewards for looking at it, then putting face in it etc etc

For any rescue coming to a new home I would recommend getting an adaptil diffuser and using pheromones for the first couple of months, you can also use natural alternatives like Rescue Remedy in their water or spray on their bedding or Calm another natural additive we have used on anxious dogs in the past.

Deaf dogs are really rewarding in training as they are usually very good at checking in with you and watching you for signals but if she is too much, hopefully you will find a good match, there are always lots of dogs being looked past as they are not as cute as pups etc

Sledge likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

I did notice this.. she kept turning to look where i was etc.. but half the time she would actually turn, which would nearly trip me up haha

20. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

well... it went VERY well today, so we have said yes we'll take ruby..
    but we won't get her till hopefully next Saturday as she has to be desexed, microchipped etc.
    but she walks fairly well on a lead already, and very friendly and eager to please..

Attached Files:

miicah, mad_mic3, hollysmum and 3 others like this.