1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Ryzen 3600/ MSI Mortar Max system won't boot at all!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by danger55, Sep 16, 2020 at 4:07 PM.

1. danger55

danger55 Member

I can't get it to boot no matter what from the moment I put it all together.
    I have everything out on a bench now with just psu connected, and one ram stick and when I short the power header, the fans quarter turn, light flicks on/ off then nothing. I have to disconnect power to psu, plug back in but then same thing happens. This is with a brand new Corsair CX650M psu, which I bought to try and fix my old system that had same problem.

My old system......i5-4690, Asus A97-A mobo, RX480 graphics. Ran sweet for a few years but started to spontaneously crash. I mean it's like someone pulled the power cord out. Only way to boot again was to unplug the psu, wait a while then plug back in. Sometimes it was only when I disconnected something.....Anyway I then figured it was a psu or motherboard problem so bought a new psu- the Corsair 650W. Seemed to fix it but oddly after about 2 weeks, PC started crashing again, same thing. At this point I had enough so bought all new system, except graphics card and now here I am.......no boot whatsoever

I've tried ....
    • double checking cpu install, cooler, etc as well as standoffs...
    • connecting both old and new psu
    • resetting CMOS
    • different power cable, power point......
    • one stick ram, 2 sticks, different slots
    • with/ without graphics connected
    I can't think of anything else to try and am totally stuck. It's like it's a short but how can that be for two different systems outside the case????
    Please help!!

2. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

It could be the power system in your house? Older houses with older wiring maybe?

3. OP
    OP
    danger55

danger55 Member

It's pretty new wiring downstairs here...wouldn't be that.

4. Beavis_Wolf

Beavis_Wolf Member

Wondering wether your old mobo has caused a fault with both PSUs seing it started doing it with the new one after 2 weeks...........now there is a fault with your new one?
    Got or can you get another PSU just to double check with your new system?

5. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

It wont boot with no graphics, could be memory could be old bios not recognising the 3000 series cpu is it a mortar max

6. OP
    OP
    danger55

danger55 Member

Ok, well I've confirmed the new psu is dead.
    I plugged into my missus pc and got no boot. Then I did the paperclip test and the fan moved ever so slightly but then nothing.
    I also took the psu from my missus pc and plugged it into my new mobo and it booted...well nothing was connected but lights and fans come on.

I know a dodgy psu can damage a mobo and anything connected but is it actually possible that a faulty motherboard can damage psu's?

7. Beavis_Wolf

Beavis_Wolf Member

Might not be your mobo ,could be your GPU drawing to much current or another failing component on your old system.
    You should be able RMA the Corsair and then try with the new PSU just barebones components with your new sytem.

8. OP
    OP
    danger55

danger55 Member

Bought the psu locally so I'll get it replaced tomorrow and have another try