1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

New SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant discovered

Discussion in 'Science' started by ernie, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Zee

Zee Member

I prefer something that is re-useable (partly to minimise trash, partly as they do seem to be more comfy) - but I will look in to it. I still need to wear a mask full time in a lot of Asia, so if it lets me breathe more easily, I'm all for it. Though one of my tasks whilst I'm back in Aus is to get contacts to reduce my glasses wearing to just home (my prescription is impossible to find int he Philippine sit seems, yet it just slips under the "lots of people use this so we keep it in stock" line here in Aus.

Z...

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    adamsleath likes this.
  3. Tinian

Tinian Member

Who to believe? Qualified professionals who help develop public health policy response, or rando on internet..?

4. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

https://covidlive.com.au/report/daily-deaths/aus
    the past three days have been higher.

i'm not optimistic about winter.

I reckon it will be >10,000 fatalities for 2022. hopefully not. hopefully this initial wave will prove to be the worst.

winter will be cruel.

say 50 per day. do the math. :Paranoid:

===
    https://www.google.com/search?q=cov...l2j0i512l5.3696j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

7,426 covid deaths since July 11, 2021 (basically the start of the NSW outbreaks, and failure to contain the spread)

but who's counting. gee wouldn't want to be someone who looks at the negatives. one might get depressed.

around 15k people die every month from all causes in australia. i'd hazard to guess most of them are old. and many of them, additionally and above the normal numbers, will contract covid, and will die prematurely.

ABS already reported 'above average' deaths for Q1 2022.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  5. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...-use-of-masks-in-the-context-of-omicron_1.pdf

You could try referencing health guidelines, then, instead of argumentum ad populum.

6. Tinian

Tinian Member

7. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

So then you agree with me? Masks are objectively a good option in close contact situations to help mitigate risk of transmission? You will encourage people to monitor and understand their risk so they can protect themselves and those around them?

8. Tinian

Tinian Member

If we pretend you didn't say indoor close contact situations necessitates wearing masks. Sure.

9. Onthax

Onthax Member

Yep, they are re-usable

Zee likes this.
  10. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I said it's a good idea in the most risky situations (i.e. close contact situations in enclosed spaces with limited ventilation where risk hasn't been mitigated another way). I feel people should be monitoring their risk for COVID and using appropriate measures, including masks, to help protect themselves and others where the probability of exposure is highest.

I'm not saying we (Canada or Aus) should go back to mandatory masking. Case numbers and case outcomes in most countries are not at the point where such a blunt tool is necessary or politically feasible. I simply believe people should exercise their best judgement informed by authoritative medical advice. I will continue to advocate this and invite you to do the same.

lxboston likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    ernie

ernie Member

I bought pack of 5 N95 masks, been using them over and over again not a problem. Give them a wash every now and then.

- Ernie.

Zee likes this.
  12. Tinian

Tinian Member

Revisionist twaddle.
    :rolleyes:
    Again; so you agree with me and Australia's relevant experts. Glad we can put that tedious crap to bed.

13. lxboston

lxboston Member

Just got back from Indonesia, party in Bali over a long weekend and work during the week. I started coughing on Tuesday evening and did a RAT which turned up negative, flew back on Thursday and of course wore a P2 mask the whole time on the way back, when I got back Thursday evening - did another RAT and surely enough COVID. Rested up the last few days and cough almost gone now, nothing panadol and bromhexidine couldn't take care of.

Wife and two year old temporarily staying at inlaws, safe to say my brownie points are pushing close to negative balance.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  14. wwwww

wwwww Member

You two clearly agree with each other.

r3s, BurningFeetMan, inoshiro and 2 others like this.
  15. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

yeh but ma freedumbs / not compulsory mmk?

people must be 'free' to spread the contagion in a free society. ! :mad:

papa needs a brand new bag.

on track for 10,000 by EOFY. (that's inclusive of the 910 from the period between 01 March 2020 and July 11 2021.)

[​IMG]

^---the one who not look like the others.

cheerleading for the masses , like general Haig..oo yeh another million pawns mown down. owell. cup-a-tea luv?

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  16. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Nope. Don't put words in my mouth. I can say part of preventing E.coli and other coliform transmission entails people washing their hands after they take a crap and not be implicitly calling for a public health order, right?

As for public health advice:
    https://www.qld.gov.au/health/condi...nt-status/public-health-directions/face-masks
    https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Pages/public-health-orders.aspx
    https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/face-masks-when-wear-face-mask

On top of this, you have contexts where mask wearing is mandatory in most states, like buses and airplanes.
    I don't think it's worth chewing up our lives over it, but discussing how people can protect their health is a better use of what little time we've spent than a lot of other things I can think of.

I'm willing to shake on it.

inoshiro likes this.
  17. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

18. OP
    OP
    ernie

ernie Member

A nice summary video on the various COVID-19 vaccines.

They didn't do Astra Zenica or the Russian and Chinese designed vaccines.

The J &J vaccine is the closest to AZ.

- Ernie.

BTW. NSW just had a significant jump in hospitalized cases.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  19. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Haven't really been watching numbers, but yeah, Covid's still a thing. I'll continue making the most of working from home and wearing a mask as I venture out.

upload_2022-6-4_11-59-58.png

20. trevor68

trevor68 Member