1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

New SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant discovered

Discussion in 'Science' started by ernie, Nov 26, 2021.

1. RnR

RnR Member

ernie likes this.
  2. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Third time you have singled me out for abuse "world doesn't end" when did I say it would? Your only retort is to attack. Why? What is my "doom approach"? - what is this reality you speak of?

I agree, 5 weeks to 6 weeks maybe less and we would have peaked in case numbers. Hopefully less than 20 a day of deaths in NSW but because it is getting entrenched in aged care, we are looking at a mass die off. Just because of removing the mask mandates.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  3. BuD

BuD Member

RnR likes this.
  4. OzRinger

OzRinger Member

Yep, from a psychology point of view I am seeing lots of hysteria that is wrecking the system. People scared and wasting time getting tested when they should not be. I had a flu like feeling, first time in years early December. I had no intention getting tested. Four days later it was gone. Maybe it was the flu, covid or aids. I do not know nor care. I did not go clog up the system. Triple vaccinated and all. I feel some people scared out of their wits are no better then people who are anti vaccines.

A bex and a lie down is what is needed in a lot of cases.

5. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

o the fear, i can't abide the fear anymo' :upset:

help us obiwan marketing.

6. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

Not sure how it's a blessing, it's better than a more deadly strain that spreads this quickly but there's no real benefit to having it rip through our society. It's not the chicken pox, we won't get permanent immunity from this.

South Africa has the difference of a much younger population, underreporting and high levels of previous infection. We might be in for a couple of thousand deaths, we're probably going to be maxing out ICU wards in a couple of weeks, it's not going to be fun. It would have been nice if we went back to the "flattening the curve" approach to not smash the hospitals but apparently they're just a casualty of war here.

7. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

but i thought it was a pandemic of the unvaxxed? & vaccinated victims just an unimportant statistical outlier. lifted out of context, now that vaccinations are in full swing.
    but now is now. and still reaping the grim rewards of infections.

hmm. sanity prevails in settings where measures are taken to reduce and prevent exposures to immuno comped.

==

celebrating their omicron party. party on then dudes. ill give that a miss as usual.

8. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Because you get better immunity from having the disease. Because its going to impact everyone far less than having the original strains. Because everyone who wants to be is vaccinated.
    And we dont need to have the population unuable to get covid (ie permanent immunity) to be continuously well protected from serious illness or worse.

I agree.

9. Copie

Copie Member

Removing of the mask mandate didnt cause the spike, it just so happened to be omicron taking off at the same time as the restrictions eased, it still would of shot up, maybe not quite as hard to now but still would of.

And the data in NSW is showing something like 70% of all hospitalisations in NSW are delta strain, so looks like there is a delta surge happening underneath omicron which isnt really being reported.

10. Slug69

Slug69 Member

There were other things relaxed at the same time. Limits of household guests being the biggest motherfucking error they made.

11. Copie

Copie Member

Lets face it, people were largely ignoring this even before it was lifted as it was impossible to enforce, many of the restrictions were based on trust, and as it wore on people stopped giving a flying fuck.

lxboston likes this.
  12. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

But it's not going to impact everyone far less than the original strain. We're going to be shortly at higher hospitalisation levels than ever before. And many people will die, death tends to not improve with a weaker strain. Basically it weeds out the most vulnerable in society but less than if a Delta wave hit us this hard. That's not a good thing.

And getting a disease to boost immunity against getting the disease is still the weirdest viewpoint to come out of the past 2 years. It also does nothing to stop the massive crunch on hospitals now and the inability to protect those because it's simply so rampant in society that we can't even test for it anymore.

13. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Assuming you can apply all the lessons of South Africa everywhere is actually indefensible. Some countries are more similar in terms of geography and demographics, but some are very different.

We can certainly hope Omicron has limited impact, but going all in on that before knowing to a scientific certainty is a huge and reckless risk.

14. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Thats literally how life was lived pre-vaccines.
    And we are vaccinated. This whole thing was to hunker down and survive till we were vaccinated. Not to lock down forever to prevent every single death. Why the moving goal posts 2 years later?

How often do you test for the flu? Should we have all had at home tests for the flu? Because you know the flu kills people right...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2022
    lxboston and OzRinger like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    ernie

ernie Member

The B.1.640.2 variant was reported over a week ago, and the mainstream media only just picked up on it.

If the new variant can't spread faster than Omicron, then it's probably not an issue.

- Ernie.

/EDIT seems this variant has been around pre-Omicron and it certainly didn't out compete Delta.

16. neRok

neRok Member

It is not a given that "natural immunity" gained from 1 strain is effective against another, and there are studies coming out with this warning, eg: https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/new-study-adds-more-evidence-omicron-immune-evasion

Antibodies from previously infected individuals were even less likely to neutralize omicron.
    When administered early in the course of infection, monoclonal antibodies can prevent many individuals from developing severe COVID. But the new study suggests that all of the therapies currently in use and most in development are much less effective against omicron, if they work at all.

In neutralization studies with monoclonal antibodies, only one (Brii198 approved in China) maintained notable activity against omicron. A minor form of omicron is completely resistant to all antibodies in clinical use today.
    Edit: Newer article I originally wanted to link, but took time to find: Omicron extensively but incompletely escapes Pfizer BNT162b2 neutralization

Neutralization of ancestral virus was much higher in infected and vaccinated versus vaccinated only participants but both groups showed a 22-fold escape from vaccine elicited neutralization by the Omicron variant. However, in the previously infected and vaccinated group, the level of residual neutralization of Omicron was similar to the level of neutralization of ancestral virus observed in the vaccination only group.

17. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

We have no evidence of "natural" immunity being better than vaccination and much evidence that it's worse. Vaccination delivers higher antibody concentrations than COVID infection to such a degree that even without being Omicron specific, it remains superior. B and T cell activation is similarly higher than after infection and much more consistent, although the role of that part of the immune system appears to be less important in blunting COVID when high antibody concentrations are present.

Yes, vaccines are an invaluable tool for restoring many of the normal freedoms we enjoy. If you haven't got yours, I encourage you to go and get the jab. Having said that, these things are seldom binary. When you're talking about possibly of thousands of lives at risk in uncertain circumstances, I think the case for proceeding cautiously as we feel the way forward is pretty strong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2022
    Beanz and DJ Fusion like this.
  18. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Its an interesting study that will say on one-hand, the antibodies are unsuccessful at stopping omicron in lab tests but then pushes a booster immediately for the same antibodies immediately. That doesnt really pass the sniff test.

I have my vaccine. Ill be getting my booster when I'm eligible. None of what I have said has suggested I'm anti-vax so it shouldn't be assumed because my risk assessment is different.
    You can certainly be pro-vaccine and realise at the same time, that is supposed to be the end.

As soon as people realise getting Covid isnt the end of their world, then we can all move on. Vaccinated that still provides much better outcomes even if it doesnt stop you getting it. Better Treatments.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2022
    Beanz and wulfy23 like this.
  19. OzRinger

OzRinger Member

I do not think people are going to get vaccinated again and again and again. I did read recently a fourth dose may do nothing and could be a negative. I also read the AZ may give some immunity for life and may be the best current vaccine.

It seems there are a million opinions floating around out there and plenty of conjecture.

20. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

where to?

I've tried various positions on the rat wheel.
    but i suppose a change is as good as a holiday. but holidays are even better right? :)

2-4 weeks.

then it's the omicron tour of south Africa. book now!

karens are ubiquitous. you can see them the world over. by which i mean to say. same shit, different location.