1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

New SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant discovered

Discussion in 'Science' started by ernie, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Just a bit..

upload_2022-5-11_18-7-29.png

2. Zee

Zee Member

The statistician in me is curious to see the recovery rates/death rates about 14 -30 days form now.

Z...

3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Obviously there will be a corresponding increase, the question is how much.
    Hospitalisation and death rates have been staying low so far.
    It's part of the reasoning for removal of masks.

4. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Case numbers are way higher than reported - everywhere. In WA for example, 1 in 3 people getting PCR tested are positive. I know plenty of people who have been crook and tested positive on a RAT, but don't report it coz they don't want the 'hassle'.

5. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

6,655 for the 21/22 FY so far.

i've got a booster coming up for mum in early june.

i read somewhere talk of yearly boosters overseas. plenty of scope for reducing average lifespan.

6. looktall

So they go out into the world while infectious?

7. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Yup, 'oh I'm too busy, special, woke, it's only a cold'

[Narrator: No it's not.]

looktall likes this.
  8. looktall

It's been 30% positivity for PCR tests pretty much the whole time since we opened.

The increase is coming from rats which makes sense as household contacts have to rat before going out into the world.
    As they eventually show positive they report as required and don't bother getting a PCR.

9. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Yep. I always roll out 'the more data we have, the better we can deal with it' and they don't seem to care.

My experience when I reported was pretty good. Eastern Health called, same day, with a series of questions around overall health etc.. Then each day there was an SMS follow up that linked to a simple form that took no longer than 30secs to get through. Then on day 7 there was another call to check progress and ask if I wanted them to continue with the monitoring. It was easy and I felt like I was contributing rather than being bothered.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  10. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Yup, I have noticed this trend too.

"Oh don't come near me, im sick"
    "Oh shit do you have covid?"
    "Nah it's not covid"
    "Oh so you got tested?"
    "Nah I know its not covid though, my family member had it and they got tested"
    "RIght, ok dickhead"

The amount of people I have had this conversation with over the last month is ridonculous.

11. mareke

mareke Member

A million people dead from Covid in the US and 6 million worldwide. The real figure where Covid was a factor but not listed as the primary cause of death would be much higher. With the world's population predicted to peak at close to 11 billion and animals and humans living so close together it wouldn't surprise if sooner or later a virus came along that killed hundreds of millions if not a billion or more people. Nature's mechanism for dealing with overcrowding.
    https://www.9news.com.au/world/usa-...ilestone/15c69c02-8bd4-4944-ac1a-5d24dea31fd9

The 'first' case of Covid identified in North Korea. It probably means that there are so many infected people now that the regime can no longer deny its presence in the population. Apparently the population is unvaccinated because the regime refused to allow any free vaccine doses to be imported. To do so would be regarded as a sign of weakness by the totalitarian regime. I bet that Kim Jong-un and his cronies are vaccinated!
    https://www.9news.com.au/world/nort...ews-asia/f2709f13-dc59-4d01-873e-5fadbbdea7e1

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    BurningFeetMan and adamsleath like this.
  12. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

13. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

14. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  15. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

maybe they are doing more testing? (than qld)

16. neRok

neRok Member

This was a couple of days ago, but it shows that 2/3rds of our positive results are from RATs;

RATs obviously make it easier for people to test, and the WA government gives them out for free quite readily*, so that probably boosts the numbers a bit.

* Saying that though, I ordered some RATs on easter weekend (because I thought I might have had it just before easter, and sister gave me some of her RATs to check), and I'm still waiting for them to be delivered.

adamsleath likes this.
  17. looktall

If you look at the positivity rate of PCR testing for WA it's gone down despite a big increase in testing numbers.
    Not knowing the positivity rate for rats makes it hard to assess if it's running rife in the community or if west Australians are just more compliant with reporting positive rats than other states.

Phalanx likes this.
  18. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

My friends, family and workmates have all raised fair concerns with RATS showing a false negative for the first day or two of the user clearly experiencing Covid-19 symptoms.

r3s likes this.
  19. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

That is certainly my experience. My nose was like a tap and had a sore throat for 2 days, both negative tests. Day 3 the aches set in and tested positive.

20. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

WA cases spike looking to exceed both NSW and VIC waves per capita

upload_2022-5-18_8-4-50.png