1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

New Silverstone Fortress FT02 coming soon!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by elstado, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Autti

Autti Member

But the RV02 had really bad thermals compared to cases of a similar price range, this has almost identical thermal design so i don't expect it to perform any better, 3 bottom fans and 1 top fan simply didn't work out.

2. -Cypher-

-Cypher- (Banned or Deleted)

What have you been reading? I have an RV02 and cooling is extremely good for such a low noise case, GPU and NB temps were much lower than my mates P183. Every review I've read says the same. Of course something like a HAF with way more airflow than sense is going to be slightly cooler......if you can handle the bloody noise that escapes from it.

RV01 had some problems because of the restrictive top cover.

All of these reviews seem to disagree with you-

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/789
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=silverstone_raven2&num=1
    http://www.pureoverclock.com/article849.html
    http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=835

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  3. rhinobeetle

rhinobeetle Member

was thinking of getting a ft01 to replace my p182 (hate. that is all)
    but after looking as this, am gonna wait :)

hopefully wont be too $$$$ in Aus

4. -Cypher-

-Cypher- (Banned or Deleted)

Should be around the same price as the FT01 at launch (~$250-$300), in fact from what I understand the FT02 costs less to produce (steel frame) than the FT01.

5. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

6. anlashok

anlashok Member

7. Scoobth

Scoobth Member

Now we just need the windowless version! :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    elstado

elstado Member

Agreed, silver in windowless would be nice.

9. proffesso

proffesso Member

hang on....it only has a window?

wtf were they thinking?

10. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Not exactly, there are four models officially:

SST-FT02B (black)
    SST-FT02S (silver)
    SST-FT02B-W (black + window)
    SST-FT02S-W (silver + window)

The problem is what suppliers/stores will carry.

11. OP
    OP
    elstado

elstado Member

That's right, most places will only sell/stock the windowed black model.

12. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Same thing happened with the Raven 01/02 cases, hell if i would find one without a window.

13. ElBeasto

ElBeasto Member

It has a similar design inside but the outside doesn't have that teen exterior that conjures up phrases like "fully sick".

Well at least you have cable management, I'm still on the P180B! ...and yes the air flow is pretty terrible in the Antec P cases. That's the trick though, finding a quiet case that still has decent cooling...

That's why I'm thinking of the FT02B-W, those 3 x 180mm fans blowing vertically along 2 x GTX260's. Might even give one of those try hard Corsair water cooling units a go with it. :p

Aus PC Market has the FT02B-W on pre order at the moment ETA: 18/12/09

I would've really liked a Lian Li tyr PC-X500 but it costs twice as much as something like the Silversone... ouch!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  14. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

very true on trying to find decent cooling cases without them being noisy as all fuck.

P193 looks like it might be a better option as well, but i'm not going to spend $250+ on a case that is pretty much the same as mine, rather put that towards a better video card or whatever. Also i can only imagine how heavy it will be, knowing how heavy my p182 is.

I'll patiently wait on reviews on the FT02, hopefully silent pc review do one.

15. ElBeasto

ElBeasto Member

I thought about getting the P193 to solve my high case temp problem too. That 200mm big boy would be great blowing on an SLI setup.

At the end of the day I decided against it, mainly because I just want something different. Different but still having silence in the thinking behind the design.

So yeah, the FT02 really appeals to me with it's potential for cooling and it's noise absorption foam etc.... :)

There's a bloke at the SPCR forums that's going to do a review of it, no official SPCR review as of yet though.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  16. Ogre

Ogre Member

Anyone found a shop selling a version without the window?

17. Buttocks

Buttocks Member

Windowless black version and windowless silver version here in about a month.

I finally received my FT02B-W on Friday and built the computer that night.

Today I refreshed staticice and noticed the FT02B (not FT02B-W) and FT02S just popped up at Megaware Computers (NSW). The ETA is a long way off though at 22/03/2010. The windowless FT02B shows up about $10 cheaper than the windowed FT02B-W.

I would have gone windowless if I had the choice, but I must admit seeing the case on my desk, I like having the window. I guess I could order a blank panel if the window doesn't totally win me over.

I have the case in front of me and I would say don't worry about those points. To an extent I can see where he is coming from, but really it is either a case of "who cares" or simply changing it:

• 1 & 4.5 - One of these days I will cover up the entire front with a new panel and create my own awesome look. Unlike other cases, it draws no air in through the front so you are virtually unrestricted in what you can do. Also the front is about 4mm thick aluminium. Soooo easy to work with.
    • 2 - Easy to DIY
    • 3 - Dumb comment. Firstly the PCI slot blanks are well under the top cover and are hardly visible. Secondly the moment you put in a motherboard and PCI/PCI-X cards there will be silver and other coloured bits on top anyway. The fan grill and a few visible screws and rivets under the top cover are silver too. Once there are a bunch of cables (and connectors of god knows what colour) UNDER the top cover who cares anymore. Last but not least, there are ways to make things black if anyone was truly obsessed about it.
    • 4 - Dumb comment. Frankly there is nothing wrong with the drive mounting and that guy has a fetish for metal+rubber. Plastic components have their uses and are what enables virtually ALL attractive modern cases to be made. eg. The top cover of THIS case has a metal outer skin reinforced behind by plastic. That shape and even how it snaps on would be totally impractical to make without it.
    • 4.25 - The window is held on by screws and it is possible with work to unscrew it, cut a little sound-dampening foam away, recess some of the window holes to allow flush mounting onto the inside and put the window on the inside. By the way the window has a good bevel all around the edge so it blends in better on the outside. Basically though if the look of the window bothers anyone, it is probably not because it is on the outside. The windowless version might simply be more tasteful for the FT02 case.
    • Apart from my reply for 1, I would also add that the Silverstone logo is cast and machined aluminium and bloody well made. It is recessed so that it's front face is flush with the front face of the case. If preferred it could be "stealthed" with black paint, possibly levered out leaving an oval shaped recess or covered up with something such as your own brilliant personal logo.

The point someone has made that I CAN agree could have been a major design improvement was to have had a slightly taller case for the water cooling crowd. Having said that, there would always be some must-have radiator that wouldn't fit no matter how much extra height there might have been.

The other major change I might have liked to see is more air space and more air exhaust around the CPU instead of having the PSU there. But doing that and maintaining positive air pressure inside the case would be a challenge and putting the PSU elsewhere would cause some other compromise. In the end though, extra fans sucking air out from around the CPU might not help the CPU temperature much because it would actually complicate the directions of air flow.

18. OP
    OP
    elstado

elstado Member

I still really want this case, despite my current broke-ness.

If only I could get it in Perth for a decent price. Only a few stores list them here, most don't actually carry stock, and they all want $300+ for it. Which is about $50 more than I am prepared to pay.

19. DNX

DNX Member

My FT02B-W is on its way hopefully here today or tomorrow.
    I also ordered some Aero slots nickel-coated black, 2 x CP05 Hot-swap Sata II cables, black 120mm fan grill, black grill screws and black anodized thumbscrews.

20. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

i to be honest have lost interest in this case, at this point i'd rather spend the money on a new video card.

still it is a very nice case and if i was building a completely new system this would be on my list.

i'd like to see a new TJ case from silverstone as well.