New small business router

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by darken_rahl, Apr 19, 2012.

1. darken_rahl

darken_rahl Member

Hey guys,

I'm a sysadmin for a small business. Currently running a DD-WRT router, but it seems to be struggling lately. 10 local staff, 5 vpn, 20 email remote.

I'm considering spending up to $1000 to go up to a Cisco or equivalent, but the options have me a little confused. If someone could please give me a little advice on this, I'd really appreciate it.

I figured that the Cisco 800 series was about where I'd go, but then found that that most of the range doesn't support ADSL.. Does the 887vw do ADSL(2+), or only VDSL? If so, would it handle our needs?

I am also intrigued by the Microtik routers. So cheap... Does anyone here have experience using them in a business environment?

Thanks!
    James

2. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

If you know how to drive Ciscos, how bout getting a second hand last gen model ie 877? Should be fine for such a small network.

3. Primüs

Primüs Member

In the cisco 800 series, the second number is pretty much the generation, and the 3rd number is connectivity type, eg, 871 is ethernet wan, 877 is ADSL2+, 878 is SHDSL (im pretty sure), and others of course. I would double check the model before you buy though, should be easy to determine with a simple look up of the product on the Cisco website.

4. OP
    OP
    darken_rahl

darken_rahl Member

i've never touched IOS but i'd be pretty eager to give it a shot. i've meant to learn cisco but knew i'd never learn without a practical application.

thanks for the replies

5. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

6. Renza

Renza Member

People are going to have mixed opinions on this, but i asked a similar question on here and someone suggested i look at the Juniper SRX range.

I ended up getting a SRX-210H for just under $600, which i thought was a extremely good price considering what i was getting. you could also get the srx-100 for just over $400 too. I didn't get the ADSL PIM as that was going to cost an extra $400, but i have that tied to an Adsl modem in bridge mode, and authenticating over pppoe.

Prior to this i had been using Drayteks, so didn't have any JunOS experience. The guides they have on their support site are very comprehensive, and the support from other users on their forum is really good. Got it all running within a day, and its been rock solid for the past week that its been in. Currently running a few ipsec vpns on it, works great with draytek and billion routers as endpoints.

Definitely take a look into them. they also provide UTM, which i dont believe the cisco gateways do, but i cold be wrong.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  7. tin

tin Member

Not saying this is the case for this item.... But just remember that not everything on eBay is genuine. Especially if it's cheap.

It's not just fake shoes and handbags on eBay.

8. samus

samus Member

This has been done a few times now, but seriously consider pfSense. Does everything you want it to do, has FREE UTM capabilities, and is proven rock solid. Ive been using it for a year now, and not once has it done anything that i didn't want it to do. 70 users, several vpn's, web filtering, intrusion detection, automatic failover, the list goes on. All for free.

How many ports do you need? Besides the xDSL, which i would recommend using a tplink 8810 in bridge mode. Get 2, have one on cold standby configured, so it if blows up you just plug it in.

IF you have an older bit of hardware around, with several Ethernet ports, install it and give it a go. For exactly $0.

EDIT: Ive used the junipers, watchguards, fortigates, sonicwalls etc. pfSense does all that they do.

9. Disco_Stu

Disco_Stu Member

I would get a Draytek 2710. Will do all that plus plenty. Nice and easy interface, has USB port for 3g if you have DSL outage. Very nice devices. We use them pretty much every where.

10. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Fair point, buyer beware etc.

11. Renza

Renza Member

except the fact that it has a 2 tunnel limit for lan to lan ipsec tunnels...

12. Disco_Stu

Disco_Stu Member

Yeah, if you need more Ipsec tunnels, you need a higher version.

I hate that limitation.

13. Luke212

Luke212 Member

i like drayteks. cisco ios shits me to no end :lol: both reliable though cisco probably have higher theoretical thoroughput.

14. Renza

Renza Member

Have you been trained in IOS though? bet its actually quite good if you know what youre doing

I was using draytek, a 3300V which used to be their top model. Would be stable for a while, then all of a sudden just fall over and have random issues, especially with NAT. Replaced it with a juniper - never used one before - config was a little bit more difficult but nothing i couldnt handle.

If stability is important, i would avoid consumer orientated brands.

15. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

Microtiks are solid and reliable.

Set up is a breeze via the web config.

Buy a Billion modem with a broadcom chipset and bridge with it this is if you want a solution that just works.

With the Ciscos, you can set up using the web interface, but any thing even remotely advanced should be done via the CLI. I've seen the GUI to some whack things in the past. There will be a bit of an initial learning curve if you haven't done it before.

Otherwise set up a Linux box of your flavour, bridge a modem, use it for file sharing, routing, firewall and VPNs, backups and local email server for example.

Don't get any thing through eBay - you're doing this for a business, not a hobby or home project.

16. Luke212

Luke212 Member

the only router ive had die was a cisco, but i dont say ciscos are bad. its just statistics. having said that draytek is not top end certainly, but i dont think small business needs top end.

17. wilsontc

wilsontc Member

The 887V and wireless variant do indeed support ADSL2+. They replace the 887M. The one DSL port works for ADSL, ADSL2+ and VDSL. We have implemented these for SMB clients.

Be aware though that the SSL VPN functionality of the Cisco's requires a separate license. I believe this is approximately $200~ per year for 10 tunnels. SSL VPN is probably the best way to go, but you can also configure PPTP and IPSec VPNs which do not require an additional license.

18. OP
    OP
    darken_rahl

darken_rahl Member

Thansk for the replies everyone. Great discussion. There are a few alternatives suggested that seem like the smartest ways to go, but I'm pretty set on learning IOS now (good reason to start) and got a great deal on a used 877.

What in particular is better about SSL VPN? We currently have three OpenVPN clients. Which I believe is SSL VPN, right? Soon it'll be three client VPN and maybe one site-to-site.