1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Sodastream Makers

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by woo_yah, Feb 2, 2004.

1. woo_yah

woo_yah Member

Hi all, I was looking in the drinks section of the local Woolies, and I couldn't believe what I saw!

New Sodastream makers!

and there were two models.

One was priced at $152 and the other at $136. I was tempted to pick one up there and then, but I didn't know what the difference was.

The cheaper one seemed to be the 'normal' model, and the more expensive one the 'deluxe' model. Just checking the website now and the model names are 'Premium' and 'Evolution' respectively!

Has anyone else seen these around, and what's the difference between the two? Is it just the shape/styling?

They also had a whole heap of new refill bottles (though not by Schweppes any more).

The Australian Sodastream website isn't all that informative, but it does have pictures

http://www.sodastream.com.au/

2. OP
    OP
    woo_yah

woo_yah Member

3. lazychook

lazychook (Banned or Deleted)

but are they really worth it? i mean does it taste that good that it out tastes coke or rasbery flavoured soft-drink? i would guess it would be healthier concidering its just water and flavouring. anyone actually own one? (just curious)

4. esprit

esprit Member

They also come in handy if you get bored one day and decide to suck down a few Cream bulbs :p :D

5. MiGiSHu

MiGiSHu Member

Montreal, Canada ePenis Size: Whoppingly Large
    Sodastream makers are more than worth the money.

I used to have one of the really really really old models (like, from 1985), and it worked really well, until it got busted some 14 years later.

$130 for a 14 year investment is pretty damn good imho. Gas bottles for them are only $20 to refill too.

I used to put Coola flavoured syrup in it, it was the best :)

6. fairymoans

fairymoans Member

I'll put my hand up as being a Soda Stream fan.

I always had one growing up, and when I moved out my parents bought me an original model from cash converters for $10. That was a decade ago now, and the seals have gone so it leaks a bit, but are pretty easy to replace when I get around to it.

I have the old cordials, which were Schweppes cola and raspberry and stuff, which taste like the real deal. It seems that they've re-released Soda Stream cordials, so I don't know how good they are now. That said, other cordials are good to use (I especially like the Alchemy ones).

I'm not sure how good they cylinder would be on the "cream bulb" count, I thought it was different stuff, but maybe I've just never cared enough to notice.

7. Gotti15

Gotti15 Member

my grandma has one, and weneva me and my cousins went there then we would always have sodastreams...they were the best. we still have them now weneva we go there :)

8. tired

tired Member

We used to have one and used it religiously as kids.

Ah , the squirting of flavouring into the water and charging that water with gas until the SodaStream made the fart noises :D

9. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

OMG I used to absolutely LOVE Sodastream.. the only thing that sucked was leaving it overnight to settle..

We still have to original "Sodastream 101" machine is full working order (prolly a collectors item by now).

I used to love using it as a kid :)

We still have Cola, Lemonade, Raspberry and Lime Coola in the back of the cupboard ... :lol: I hate to think hoe long they've been there.

10. carbine

carbine Member

I remember doing some sums as to the cost per liter ect quickly in kmart one day. It didnt seem like it was cheaper then buying coke or similar by the bottle, considering you have to buy the syrup and gas. Does anyone know how much it costs?

11. MiGiSHu

MiGiSHu Member

Montreal, Canada ePenis Size: Whoppingly Large
    $150 or so for a Sodastram maker, which should give you 1 free gas bottle.

Gas bottle refills are about $20 each (afaik, I can't remember).

Syrup would be cheap. You can use any old syrup, doesn't have to be Sodastream brand.

The bottle will last for about 100 uses, which makes it about 20c per bottle, add syrup = cheaper than coke, and better.

12. woodstock

woodstock Member

I'm not happy - just got back into the sodastream thing and found that they no longer refill the old grey bottles. Does anyone know if the new bottles will fit or work in the older sodastream machines or whether I'll need to buy a new machine?

13. Moose

Moose Member

Where do you get the new large bottles refilled?

14. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

Do these use a carbonation stone, or just a straight line into the vessel?

What size are the new gas canisters BTW ? (ie, how much CO2 do they hold in weight)

15. Sindar

Sindar (Banned or Deleted)

Didn't you used to use those little soda bulbs?

16. chiu.co

chiu.co Member

Found it my local kmart... May consider buying one as a gift for a cousin - she was also into that stuff as a kid.

17. Slain

Slain (Banned or Deleted)

i have a 1988 model, it was decommisioned because it became cheaper just to buy cans of coke/fanta/whatever than it was to buy gas + additive.

18. bluedreamer

bluedreamer Member

http://www.sodastream.com.au/index.php?pageID=11
    You mean replace those old grey bottles?

19. fairymoans

fairymoans Member

You're a champ bluedreamer. I don't think the cylinder exchange offer was there when I visited Sodastream's site a few weeks ago.

I am suspecting that the new bottles being "bigger" means they won't fit in the older model machines. There isn't a whole lot of room in my old sodastream, and I can't imagine a bigger gas bottle fitting. I'll call them on Monday and see what they say.

Shame if the old machines are no longer refillable.

20. woodstock

woodstock Member

can you let us know what they tell you please fairymoans, I'm all excited about being able to keep using my old sodastream.