New Sodastream Makers

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by woo_yah, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Rass

Rass Member

I'm interested in the Pepsi Max one. Any one got experience with it?

2. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  3. mpayne

mpayne Member

they were 8 bucks each just gave the 7up a go its better then the mtn dew taste like a cheap lemonade with a funny after tase

4. Sunder

Sunder Member

This is probably the most resurrected thread on OCAU :)

Just got one, including the Kegland adaptor.

So far the Pepsi max mix tastes pretty close to real Pepsi max. The Mountain Dew leaves something to be desired - I think in part because real Mountain Dew is a bit more carbonated and so has more tang to it that comes from the CO2, rather than the mix. Also used a few cordials, which have turned out well.

Only down side so far, is that I got the Jet model (Cheapest one), which despite coming with a 1L bottle, isn't compatible with the official 1L "Fuse" bottles - they are too tall.

My main motive for getting this was to reduce plastic waste. I was probably going through 2-3 x 2L bottles per week now that I work from home. Would like to reduce waste even more - see if I can get syrups in larger containers, but in Australia, it seems like the 440ml size is the only ones you can get "officially". In the US and UK, it seems bulk post-mix is all over eBay. They must have an easier time enforcing licensing restrictions here. I would have thought that somebody would have been palming off boxes from Maccas/KFC/Subway and trying to offload them onto eBay or Gumtree.

5. caspian

caspian Member

I got a Kegland adapter and 6kg bottle last year. also got a couple of their Sodastream compatible cylinders which are easier to refill than the genuine ones. works well.

we just use for soda water, go through a lot of it with a little lemon or lime juice in place of soft drinks, and more interesting than plain water.

6. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Have one of those 6Kg CO2 canisters connected directly to a Sodastream via a flexible tube. Mostly use it for soda water too. Did try regassing some flat coke after reading this thread which worked out ok.

7. Sunder

Sunder Member

Ha. I actually wonder if they make any money from those cannister refills, or if it's just because we're "overclockers" and much more willing to tweak.

So has anyone found a good source of official postmix? Or tried the generic postmix? Seems so hard to get in Australia.

8. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

You'll probably be less interested when you find out how much CCA charge for postmix syrup :p. I left the industry seven years ago now, and even then they were creeping towards $180 per 15kg bag in a box, ex gst. Wouldnt be surprised if they were closer to $250 now. It's significantly cheaper to get coke out of a can than it is via postmix, in australia, perhaps unless you're as big as ALH

Sunder likes this.
  9. Sunder

Sunder Member

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

The sodastream was never really about cost for me, mostly about reducing waste, so even at the same cost I wouldn't mind. But paying more? Yeah, only so far I want to go to help the planet.

Phalanx likes this.
  10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No one ever said going green was gonna be cheap.

11. Sunder

Sunder Member

I tend to wait until green techs have a payback, even if the payback is a long time off. Electric car was about 3 years, solar panels 9-10 years. 6 star efficiency air con was probably never going to pay back against a 5, but a few years against a 3 etc.

12. caspian

caspian Member

for me it's just convenience. soda water whenever I want it, no need to worry about buying it. the roll-your-own solution is cheap enough that the cost differential is not a consideration.