New Sony A1 E mount camera

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Michael H, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Michael H

Michael H Member

Specs
    • 50.1 MP at 30fps. Actual: 50.5 Megapixel; Effective: 50.1 Megapixel (8640 x 5760)
    • 50MP Exmor RS stacked BSI CMOS sensor
    • claimed 15+ DR with sensor
    • Up to ISO 102400
    • 200 frame buffer
    • Bit depth 14 bits
    • AF calculated 120 times a second, up from 60 on the A9
    • Mechanical Shutter: 1/8000 to 30 Second & Bulb Mode; Electronic Shutter 1/32000 to 30 Second & Bulb Mode; 1/8000 to ¼ Second in Movie Mode
    • Hybrid AF system has 759 points (up from A9) covering 92% of the sensor.
    • New Bird Eye AF as a part of the real-time Animal Eye AF feature
    • Realtime tracking is video looks like big step up from A9
    • 9.44 million EVF, refresh rate 240 times a second
    • No shutter black out
    • 8k30p and 4k120p
    • Type A HDMI (full size)
    • 16 bit video output
    • the 4K video modes can hit 120p with 10-bit 4:2:2. In APS-C mode it even over-samples from 5.8K resolution
    • “ProRes RAW makes an appearance with the A1, which can send a 4.3K raw video signal up to 60p via the full-size HDMI output to compatible Atomos recorders. This will send a 16-bit linear raw video signal, which will be encoded by the Atomos recorder as a 12-bit log raw file that retains essentially all the data.” (from B&H)
    • S-Cinetone profile added
    • USB 3.2 Type C
    • Fast output tethering with 5G phone
    • Super fast Wi-Fi with 2x2 MIMO
    • Dual Cf Express Type A (SD cards as well)
    • Lossless compressed RAW
    • B&H specs have HEIF listed
    • New menus like A7SIII
    • New Bionz XR (8 times faster)
    • Pixel Shift Multi Shooting (199MP)
    • Tilting rear screen
    • 5.5 stops sensor stabilisation (looks like it also has software stablisation in post as well TBC)
    • New dual-driven mechanism that can sync with flash down to 1/400-second in full-frame
    • Up to 1/500 flash sync speed in APC mode
    • 10fps for mechanical shutter
    • Electronic shutter flash sync (yep not just mechanical, up to 1/200-second)

More specs
    • Rolling shutter is 1.5 better than the A9II (which is no slouch)
    • Flicker free e shutter in artificial lights (claimed)
    • AF up to F22
    • 10 bit HEIF files
    • 50 meg RAW files can be scaled down to 21 meg JPGs
    • 21 meg RAW files in 1.5 crop mode
    • 30 min video recording in 8K and 4K at 120
    • Dual recording in 8K, unlike the Canon R5
    • To use 30fps you must be in compressed RAW or JPG (no issue for sports or wildlife)
    • I suspect the new features may result in greater battery drain

A1 means the flagship and directly challenges the rumoured Canon R1.

Insane 30fps at 50 megs. It will have a high price to match its specs – higher than the Canon R5, but lower than the Canon 1DX3 is my bet. Sony FB states it will be 10,499 RRP in Oz.

More specs here:

pinchies likes this.
  2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Looking great. A whole lot of camera for the money.

Really reminds me/aligns with the flagships of old for the major brands.

Exciting for some of the improvements announced/released here and to see how they will trickle down into future lines.

Be interesting to see if they have the A1 line as the flag ship, A9 as a pro and then A7 as an all rounder.

3. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Shows off Sony's tech really well, combining all of their good stuff into one mega body and pushing some new boundaries
    Not a replacement for the A9 but certainly will find its place in a lot of well heeled enthusiasts/pro's

awesome things
    • can close shutter to protect against dust changing lenses
    • lossless compressed raw (At last!) - i noticed a lot of issues with pushing the lossy files
      Does drop to 20fps in this mode though
    • high refresh EVF, killer
    • can downscale jpeg to 21mp in camera, this is a nessecity for some
    Not so awesome
    • drops to 20fps with lossless raw
    • only 10fps mech shutter
    • no in camera raw editing (I saw mention of cropping?)

4. Xang

Xang Member

The A9ii has this as well. And maybe the A9? Can't remember.

5. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

ah nice, must have snuck it in.

6. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

What I like: 1/200 flash sync speed with electronic shutter.
    What I really like: 1/400 flash sync speed with mechanical shutter.

What I don't like: The fact I will never be able to afford one.

lonewolf1983 likes this.
  7. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

I too really like the mechanical flash sync of 1/400th of a sec. That's awesome, and great move.
    Overall the camera feels more evolutionary than revolutionary. It also feels like they rushed the release... Often not said for Sony products, but usually by the time they announce their product, the various youtube channels and partners have all had the camera in their hands for at least a week, and their videos are online within minutes of the NDA timeout. In this case even DPReview didn't have a sample, and considering the timing of the Fuji GFX100S, and at 500 cheaper.

It does seem to do a lot of things really well, but I don't feel it does it so well that it can demonstrate worth at double the price of the R5 or even still, more expensive than the MF offerings from Fuji.
    Additionally, their video options don't seem to be Amazing like the R5 (granted the R5 has some form of software control preventing longer recording despite overheating issues or not) it's just better than the previous generations (10bit) but still binned, and no option otherwise. I feel like this is a successor to the A9 series... not an entirely new series they're trying to place it in.

8. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Some valid points.
    My guess is that they've had manufacturing/availability issues (or still working heavily on firmware etc) and hence havent been able to get them out to the reviewers.

I think its a seperate line to the A9, even just on cost alone.
    As a pro you're going to need 2-3 bodies and that additional cost would add up pretty quick - especially when you may not need/want half the features.
    Depends a bit where the a7iv goes, if it adds a lot of the A9 features then you may be right....

9. OP
    OP
    Michael H

Michael H Member

Some finer details:

• Rolling shutter is 1.5 better than the A9II (which is no slouch)

• Flicker free e shutter in artificial lights (claimed)

• AF up to F22

• 10 bit HEIF files

• 50 meg RAW files can be scaled down to 21 meg JPGs

• 21 meg RAW files in 1.5 crop mode

• 30 min video recording in 8K and 4K at 120

• Dual recording in 8K, unlike the Canon R5

• To use 30fps you must be in compressed RAW or JPG (no issue for sports or wildlife)

• I suspect the new features will result in greater battery drain

• Plus dual BIONZ XR processors.

• 500,000 images shutter life (new carbon fibre blades).

• Improved weather sealing, but no precise details as yet.

• Claimed 30% improvement in Human and Animal AF performance, which is amazing as the A9 and A9II are already so good. Plus new bird eye AF mode.

• 30fps at 12 bit in RAW.

• 20fps max for 14 bit RAW.

10. Xang

Xang Member

Nothing else can do

- 50MP at 30fps
    - 1/400th flash sync
    - electronic flash sync
    - 5.76m EVF at 240hz (AFAIK)
    - electronic anti-flicker
    - anything close to the sensor readout
    - this battery life for this standard of camera
    - all of this with zero blackout EVF

It's not perfect obviously, but I think you need to gloss over a lot of major improvements to not see this as a huge leap forward.

I find it hard to believe that they're shipping this camera next month, and couldn't send out 10-20 review units if they wanted to. This would have been a deliberate choice to avoid leaks, which worked well - there was very little info about this camera before the announcement. Reviewers have units on the way to them now.

Update - some YouTubers have the camera now.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  11. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

The problem with these specs is some have caveats involved: lossy & 12 bit for 30fps, While the 240hz view finder is interesting, how does it extrapolate that from the sensor, as far as battery life goes much of the current competition has similar performance, zero black out isn’t the first time this has been available in the models)
    I’ll grant their flash sync specs (mech and electronic) are revolutionary aspects. It’s one of my major reasons for switching to the Panasonic S1R 6 months ago (1/320 for reference)
    On the other hand, they are sticking to a form factor that’s okay, but has never won them great love, across the board. I for one do not like they’re external fit and feel, and I have owned an A7R, A7Rii, and A7Riv (and still own the Rii).
    They continue to harp on about their weather sealing is professional level, yet I personally know of one A9ii that failed due to water ingress through the bottom plate, as well as the various models with the larger body format through lens rentals in the US.
    Honestly if this body isn’t close to the level of the pro series of Canon and Nikon, then I’d seriously question where they get they significantly high price value from... because it’s surely isn’t from the manufacturing process.
    In think the other thing that don’t falls down on that I feel had they addressed it, then I probably would have said the camera itself is revolutionary... they’re software and final polish. The fact their high res mode requires 16 shot, not the 8 shots of they’re competition to compile a high res, and that the process must be completed off camera with their own proprietary software external to any regular workflow, and they have paid apps to utilise more advanced timer functions, and that their band pass filter (star eater) is still a thing... not really revolutionary.

At the end of the day it’s down to the individuals perspective.

12. OP
    OP
    Michael H

Michael H Member

Sony improved many existing features (evolution) and introduced new features (revolution) in the A1.

If Canon had such features many would be gushing praise, like when the R5 was introduced with features Sony already had and they still gushed revolutionary, world beating, game changing, etc

As a multi-brand shooter, I make purchasing decisions based on feature set, not brand. I want competition as all users benefit. Sony deserves thanks for the way it has drivenFF mirrorlress, dragging Canon and Nikon along with it. Plus some very nice features in MFT from Olympus and Panasonic and Fuji in APC and MF.

13. OP
    OP
    Michael H

Michael H Member

All camera have operating specs, including the A1. Show me a camera than comes close to the specs of the A1. Then I can show you how many features and things that camera cannot do, compared to the A1. I just did that with the Canon R5, it is embarrassing how the R5 stacks up. A1 first, then daylight and a distant third is the R5.

Or the Canon 1DXIII, the Canon flagship. Shutter performance:s Mechanical Shutter 1/8000 to 30 Seconds Bulb Mode. The A1 is Mechanical Shutter: 1/8000 to 30 Second, Bulb Mode; Electronic Shutter: 1/32000 to 30 Second, Bulb Mod. While the 1DXII is rated at 16fps mechanical shutter , in real world usage the 1DXIII does not meet the spec. (having owned 3 1D bodies, none of them did). Flash sync on the 1DXIII is 1/250, A1 it is 1/400 and up to 1/500 in crop mode, plus 1/200 electronic shutter. Plus virtually no rolling shutter compared to the 1DXIII in electronic shutter mode.

Compare the Canon R5 to what was available in FF mirrorless bodies when it came out, about the only feature it added was 8K, the overheating was a bonus. And then it could only record to one card, not two.

14. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Its amusing seeing the gushing over a new camera body saying that its revolutionary etc, when it is one that is totally evolutionary and not in one bit revolutionary. Everything on this camera is an iterative improvement on existing features on many other cameras, the increase in video to 8k and the associated computational power to achieve the frame rate etc. are all evolutionary changes. Yes, it does look like a good evolutionary step, but its not revolutionary. There are no features on this camera that other cameras didn't already have, sure it improves the capabilities of those features, but there is nothing new here. Maybe if they'd manage to introduce all of these incremental improvements into a camera that they were selling for $5k instead of $10k, then it might be revolutionary from a pricing/packaging point of view...

15. Xang

Xang Member

Are there other FF cameras that can shoot 1/400th flash sync, other than $25k Hassy's?

FF at 30fps?

30fps with flash?

8K video for more than a few minutes? (at less than a $15k cinecam)

Genuinely asking.

Deftone2k likes this.
  16. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

While I think the specs taken individually are pretty much an evolutionary progression, they appear to have "matured" in this body.

17. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Exactly my point, its all evolutionary improvements across the board. Revolutionary would be if they introduced some new amazing feature that never existed before, or they figured out a way of designing a camera to work in a new and unique way. Taking features in a camera and dialing them up to higher numbers across the board is just evolution, even if all of that dialing up of features is all done in one high end body.

Funny is that you could argue that Sony have introduced some revolutionary things with cameras in recent years, just not in this camera. Sony certainly kick started the mirrorless camera revolution for instance..

Dark Orange likes this.
  18. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Gerald Undone finally gets his hands on one:

19. Xang

Xang Member

Would be great if they had seeded a review unit to an actual working photographer.

I love Gerald's channel but he's obviously video-focused.

20. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member