New Sony A1 E mount camera

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Michael H, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Which is a big issue with photographers using youtube as a source of camera reviews. "Flippy Screens" are very important, apparently.

2. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Reviews coming out seem pretty good.
    their 8K recording times clearly better than Canon's

3. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

According to Gerald Undone's latest video, you can easily set it up running off external power to give unlimited recording time by hotswapping the memory cards.

4. OP
    OP
    Michael H

Michael H Member

Mark Galer’s A1 review (preliminary):

Galer's setup video for the A1:

5. OP
    OP
    Michael H

Michael H Member

I do like watching 30fps using a flash with zero recycle time, a revolution is underway using the electronic shutter with flash sync:

Deftone2k likes this.
  6. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

A stretch calling an LED light with fancy PWM control a "Flash", but OK. A neat looking unit, I am trying to find the time to build me something similar.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  7. OP
    OP
    Michael H

Michael H Member

The Rotolights do have a flash mode, outputting more light than in LED mode. With zero recycle time they can keep up with the A1, at 30fps, unlike normal strobes/flashes. There is a trade off, just like a using flash in HHS mode which puts out less light, but the Rotolight does not need to go into HSS mode, so the light differential is now smaller compared to a strobe/flash in HSS.

Manny Ortiz has used the A1's electronic shutter with flash sync speed up to 1/32,000 of a sec, using a Godox studio strobe, single shot with no banding (the results above 1/200 will vary). Despite Sony's rating of 1/200th of a second maximum flash sync speed with electronic shutter.

A revolution is under way with electronic shutter and flash sync speeds, in terms of fps and flash sync speeds. Thanks to Sony, which other brands will now follow.

Look at 8:28 minute mark.

Or Lok's video at 1:15 minute mark, he is using a Godox studio strobe I believe.

A flash revolution has started, without leaf shutter lens and global shutters.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  8. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Yeah, I get all that. But a temporarily overdriven LED panel is useful only under very limited conditions and just because they call it "Flash mode" does not make it a useful strobe. I notice that nowhere in their documentation do they give any sort of equivalent Ws output, which suggests to me that it puts out at most 2 orders of magnitude less light than a standard speedlight. Notice that the Lanier video used an ISO 1000 at f/2, and still needed two of them.

I will agree that a revolution in shutterless photography has definitely started, but not in the flash world who are struggling to keep up.

But I look forward to what the come up with, and I will guess the technology in the rotolights is the obvious way to go. It's a technology that will be difficult though, because most of the powerful LED lights these days are COB, which are designed for continual use and have the driver circutry built in. But then again, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to add PWM control to a COB, opening up the ability to (ab)use it in this application.