New Sony A7RIII

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Michael H, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Michael H

Michael H Member

Full specs: http://tinyurl.com/y8dfkgkj

-42mp BSI CMOS sensor,
    -10fps continuous shooting with AF,
    -buffer 76 JPEG images, or 29 raw image,
    -updated camera design,
    -dual SD card slots,
    -5-axis sensor based image stabilisation with up to 5.5 stops,
    -new "Pixel Shift Multi-Shooting Mode", aka like Pentax,
    -399 phase detation AF points
    -USB3.1 Type-C,
    -uses A9 battery,
    -has A9 EVF,
    -15 stops of DR (that needs to be proven),
    -Compatible with Sony VG-C3EM Vertical Grip (from Sony A9)
    -4K video recording now supports HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) for HDR video recording,
    -instant playback with compatible 4K HDR TVs.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. Athiril

Athiril Member

Okay time to upgrade

-2.2x battery capacity

-5-axis optical image stabilizer that provides 5.5 stops of compensation

-Pixel Shift Multi Shooting mode (post pro for higher res)

3. humanrace

humanrace Member

Any idea how much this will cost?

what is pixel shift like? is it suitable for long exposures?

4. BuD

BuD Member

it looks good but i think i will eventually swap to the a99II still
    i have long fingers and these e mount cameras kill my hands after a lil while. Great for landscape but
    the pixel shift will be amazeballz for that

5. BuD

BuD Member

it would be ok for sky, water i would guess but no other movement
    $3200 or $4300 i saw somewhere us$
    so probably 4.2-4.5k here

edit: good god just saw this from sony-x Hitting shelves Mid-Nov. AUD SRP $4999.

6. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

I don’t need it, but I surely want it.

7. OP
    OP
    Michael H

Michael H Member

Camera takes 4 photos, shifting one pixel each time. In post you merge the 4 images into a megapixel photo with great colour and detail. Pentax has a similar feature. 2 seconds between shots, but should work for longer exposures in scenes with little movement.

RRP is AUD4,999.

US prices do not normally show tax, so Oz price is a bit higher - as usual.

Camera makers think, and often do, get away with charging higher prices in Oz.

8. Athiril

Athiril Member

Depends on how the software processes the images. They said there is upcoming Sony software that it can be processed in, so maybe capture will be faster.

The Pentax version looks pretty good in some situations
    https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/k1-pixel-shift-resolution-updated-field-test

9. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

I'm in. Not sure I would sell the A7RII or keep it. The different battery systems could be annoying when trying to run 2 bodies.
    Plus the newly announced 24-105F4 G lens if it is as good as the other recent FE lenses from Sony. The 85F1.8, 1224F4 G and 100400GM are all really, really good.

10. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

The in camera processing for the Sony's are pretty awesome, so I'd expect that they might have some processing magic to handle long exposures for pixel shift. I was secretly hoping for an A7 III announcement though :(

11. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

Seems pretty impressive. I read a lot of rumours in the lead up to this release of the successor to the a7SII but I guess that will come later or they may ditch that line entirely? I myself have the a7SII and no desire to sell it and change to a high-res sensor but I am curious how this new camera performs in terms of high-ISO. Will wait and see. Sony and Nikon have killed it lately with releases. I can only hope that Canon lift their game though I guess with their solid lens lineup I doubt they're fearful of their customers leaving in droves, at least the ones who have invested in a lot of Canon glass.

12. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

They did the only two things needed for me to upgrade. USB 3 for tethered shooting and bigger batter. So I am in. Only question is do I get two and upgrade all my cameras at once.

13. Athiril

Athiril Member

There's video samples on YT, and the rolling shutter looked almost non-existent.

Allegedly a stop improvement in noise in the mids according to release, and a stop improvement in the stabilisation, so if you're not freezing movement at night, perhaps 2 stops?

14. humanrace

humanrace Member

My most used lenses are 16-35L, 35 Art, 85L, 135L. This camera's AF is based on the A9 - how is it when shooting moving subjects when you adapt lenses? Also, I read theres a lot of mixed reviews with UWA corner sharpness with adapted lenses - anyone have definitive answer? Using native sony lenses probably the best thing to do, but just a bit expensive - those Sony G master lenses are really $$$

15. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

All these lenses should work really well with the A7RIII if the AF is the same or similar with the A9. I have tried all of these on the A9 and they all work well with the Sigma MC-11. For the wide angle lenses, if you really need to check, I can send you a 16-35 F4 IS on the A7RII RAW file to check it out. Best bet is to get the 12-24 F4 in native mount. IT should cover most of your wide angle needs, and is not too expensive or heavy.

16. humanrace

humanrace Member

that's awesome to hear. would love to see a raw file i'll PM you my email :)

17. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Indeed, that was something I found out when I was still running my Sony. The biggest problem is the lack of a secondhand market. This means:

1. You have to buy new, because your chances of finding one on the secondhand market is extremely slim.
    2. When it comes time to sell your lens, the demand is not there, so you have to sell it for less.

When I was still running Canon, I bought a 35L from the secondhand market and used it for a few years. When it came time to sell, I was able to sell it for $50 less than what I paid for it. Effectively, I had a very nice lens and used it for almost free.

When I bought a Sony, I had to buy a Zeiss 35/1.4 new because there simply was no secondhand lenses available. I paid $2100 for it. When I came to sell it, I listed it at $1200 (or a $900 discount from new), which I thought was a fair price. It was on Gumtree for months. I eventually let it go for $1000.

Compare this with a Canon 35/1.4L. New price is $2200. Secondhand price is usually between $1600-1800. You lose some, but you don't lose a motza.

18. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

And here I have been looking for a used zeiss 35 for ages. Did you list it here?

19. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

No, I listed it on Gumtree. I didn't think there were very many OCAU E-mount users, and OCAU forum rules prevent items listed elsewhere from being listed here. So I didn't ... sorry :(

20. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

Don't take this the wrong way. But even if you had listed it at 1400 i would have snapped it up :)