New Sony A7RIII

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Michael H, Oct 25, 2017.

1. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

To be honest, adapted lenses take some of the joy away. I am all native E-mount now.

Admittedly now some of the key features like eye focus work with the LA-EA3 on the A9 and A7R3 but I don't want to go back. Much prefer everything to just work, especially with all the great native glass coming out.
    My brother started on with a lot of adapted EF lenses (he converted from 5DIII to A7R2) but is now pretty much native except for the 50F1.2 on MBIV.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. BuD

BuD Member

oh nice so some on the ea3 will work with eye auto focus thats cool
    i will change to the 85mm gm and 1 of the 50/55mm for portrait
    my 16-35mm zeiss which i only use for landscape ill just use the adapter with as most time i manual focus landscapes anyway or just AF and lock it in eddie. hopefully ill take a test portrait of kids with the riii today

3. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I have to agree with Kiwimeat. With now so many fantastic options available in native E mount, and with the performance of the A7RIII, you don't really get the full E mount experience if you only use one or two native lenses. There is nothing quite like going out for the day with a A7RII/A7RIII with at 28F2 and 55 1.8, knowing you are not compromising anything while going light weight. The main problem I had with adapted lenses, was that the AF noise during video meant that I always had to use an external mic. With native lenses there is not AF motor noise, and you can use the internal mic (which is actually quite good).

4. BuD

BuD Member

wow eye AF is working onb my 16-35 zeiss with laea3 adapter and its slick as
    when i get my 85mm back from manual focus repair i will try it to

5. BuD

BuD Member

God damn that's camera s good. Did a iso 3200 shot last night with modelling light and Xmas lights and you couldn't tell pic is so clean.

6. nisstrust

nisstrust Member

I do like the 28/2 but the distortion killed it for me. I hope to find a good copy of a 35/1.4 instead.

7. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Yeah, the ISO performance in low light is really quite phenomenal, and even with some noise at the higher ISO's, scaling the image down a bit completely hides it all.

I happily shot upwards to 6400 ISO at an indoor dance concert using the SEL70400G (which is an F4 zoom lens, not generally ideal for indoors, but it's half the price of the F2.8 version), and the images came out great. The higher ISO compensated for trying to freeze reasonably fast action at 1/800 and it worked better than expected. Eye AF and silent shutter worked brilliantly and consistently.

8. BuD

BuD Member

they have come out awesome

9. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

10. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Problem with the Adobe update is that it can neither create (not a problem) pixel shifted images, or READ (a problem) pixel shifted images!

11. HyRax1

Not yet, but there are other projects like RawTherapee working on adding support too.

12. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I can understand not being able to create, but read? It is basically an uncompressed tiff right? If C1 can do create and read first, I might do the full switch.

13. BuD

BuD Member

I use C1 it's awesome but it blows compared to lr for catalogue so I use both :)

14. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Yeah I know, but I don't like using two programs. I mean C1 is free so I have it installed. I been using it for the last couple of weeks cause that was the only thing I had to process Mark 3 Raw files. If they added a catalogue system, and was able to import Lightroom libraries without loosing my keyword nesting.... Well then I would really be gone.

15. nisstrust

nisstrust Member

Nice where did you end up getting it from?

16. BuD

BuD Member

nisstrust likes this.
  17. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Anyone using Sigma 35/50/85 lenses on an A7R3? How are they? Do they focus as good as native ones?

I am contemplating a move to Sony. But my only reasons are the focusing system and EVF. I shoot a D810 so any image quality improvements are negligible. But everything Sony is bullshit expensive. I can wear the cost of the bodies but I see no reason why I should pay $2.5k for a lens I can get for $1k in any other mount. If Sigma and Tamron started making native E Mount lenses it would make things easier.

18. BuD

BuD Member

The evf is awesome and I can't say about your lens and mount ut from my a mount to e adapter it's very fast on the lenses I have. Faster than my old a99

19. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

If you get the Sigma lenses in EF mount and use an MC-11 adapter they work well, but not up to the same performance as the native mount lenses. It is mostly the continuous focus speed that lets it down.

20. HyRax1

They are both excellent, as you know.

So ask yourself then what your current system is not doing that you feel Sony would fix, and then decide if it bugs you enough that you are prepared to put the investment into it.

In my case, I shoot for personal use only. I don't shoot professionally (but may start looking for a paid shoot here and there now given the feedback I've already had with some things I've shot in the last couple of weeks). To me the A7Riii was a massive leap forward over my A6000 and is a camera I can comfortably use for at least the next six to eight years without another upgrade, and I have a personal desire to take quality photos of key moments instead of just a basic mobile phone photo, so that's how I justified my investment.

Can you capture quality photos with Canon and Nikon? Of course you can. What you already have is fine, so what is bugging you more is the day to day functionality of the camera, not what it produces. Is it worth paying for the switch just for that?

Yes, Sony is expensive, but even I wait for the sales periods and milk the price matchings for what they're worth. Never pay full price. I got my Sony 70-200 F4 lens down from $1600 RRP to $1200 after price matching and cashback. I'd have preferred the F2.8, but it's nearly double the price for that extra stop of aperture!