New Sony A7RIII

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Michael H, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Xang

Xang Member

Sony stuff is generally a bit expensive. But, they're offering a combination of features that aren't available from any other manufacturer.

Once Sigma start making E-mount lenses I think tons of people will switch.

2. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Sony have filled out their lens lineup pretty good - I dont own any G-master (or even any G glass)
    The 55mm and 85mm 1.8's are fantastic for the price.
    I shoot the sigma 35mm A-mount via adapter on a7rii and AF speed is fine.

The EVF is not a downside these days, i wish my Nikon bodies had them now.

Above posters are correct that its just a matter of Sigma and Tamron coming to the party with good AF versions of their existing lenses.
    I'd probably sell my considerable investment in Nikon stuff if Sigma's 120-300 and 500 were available (and good) in E-mount

3. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

Agree with everything about the 55mm (note it is Sony Zeiss lens) and 85mm F1.8 lenses. Fantastic performers at a good price.

But you are missing out on some great lenses available in the G and GMaster ranges. The new 1224F4 G is a stellar ultra-wide angle zoom. My brother has one, and I am seriously considering it.
    I have the new 24105G on order (but it may not make it before Xmas).
    Obviously the price is discouraging for many but if you choose wisely then the value is there.
    My sole GMaster is the 100400GM paired with the 1.4xTC. Fantastic combo but definitely not cheap. Certainly looking forward to trying it on my A7Riii which shipped today.

4. dche5390

dche5390 Member

Pretty much describes me.

5. BuD

BuD Member

the 85 GM is SOOOOOO good
    going from manual focus on my old 85 A mount to this was such a good move. less CA and that eye autofocus!

6. BuD

BuD Member

Here are a couple of sample pics. shot these with 50mm minolta via adapter manual focus
    ive used the new 85mm GM on a portrait session with ben ungermann from masterchef but cant show them yet

[​IMG]chocolate pup by Anthony Byron - BuDWiZeR, on Flickr

This pic 50mm minolta f2.8 NFI how i managed to manual focus this dog

same setup but f8 and my studio light in the lounge room
    [​IMG]BFF by Anthony Byron - BuDWiZeR, on Flickr

7. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

BuD,
    Great shots!

My camera (minus extra batteries) just got delivered! :leet:
    24105G was shipped this morning and may sneak in before Xmas.

8. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Indeed, very nice shots!

9. BuD

BuD Member

thanks both pics took a lot of effort lol
    kiwimeat i hope you get your lens before the weekend as your weekend will be great
    dont worry about extra battery. these new batteries last ages. i bought a second 1 and havent had to use it yet lol

10. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

Fingers are definitely crossed for the lens to be delivered tomorrow.
    Nice to see additional confirmation re battery life.
    My sole battery is currently charging.
    I have my new Sony 128GB SDXC UHS-II 300/299MB/s primed. Just looking for my spare screen protector in my cupboards.

11. BuD

BuD Member

yeah i had the gorilla glass guys put 1 made to fit at the local shop.
    i wish i had gotten the 128 instead i bought the 64 :( though a fair bit will fit on a 64 still

12. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I got two extra batteries when I got mine, but I am on my first battery still. And it does not deplete if you just leave it in camera!!!! How novel is that!

And for $26, I just got the A9 glass one made by Sony (screen protector that is).

13. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Of course the value proposition is different for everyone - i dont think i care about the difference between the Gmaster and FE 85 for the price.
    No doubt its of course a great bit of glass.

I dont shoot Sony for my primary money making photography so my preference is to adapt good glass instead so it can be used for dual purposes

14. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

I think you misunderstood me. I am not advocating getting the G or GM model over a 'basic' Sony lens or non-Sony even. The 85mm is a case in point - I don't see any need to go the 85mm GM or Batis for that matter over the fantastic 'basic' Sony 85mm. It does everything I want.

Like yourself I am just an amateur with no income to offset the costs of my gear.
    However, unlike you I now run a single platform.
    I made the decision almost 2 years ago when I got the A7Rii to commit solely to the FE mount so no more adapted lenses or different bodies/mounts.
    Hence I may be better able to justify/afford those more expensive G or GM purchases.
    But also with the quality and abilities of the FE lenses improving I am actually reducing the number of lenses I own down to 6.
    Primes - 28F2 (+ Fisheye converter), 55F1.8Z, 85F1.8
    Zooms - 1645F4Z (to be replaced by 1224F4 G at some point), 24105F4 G, 100400GM (+1.4x TC)
    Selling - 24240, 90F2.8 Macro

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  15. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Ah ok!
    I'd love to run a single platform, and I have no qualms recommending that anyone not shooting sport/action seriously looks at Sony these days if they have the budget to cover good glass for their needs.
    I certainly expect to go back 100% to Sony if/when there is long telephoto glass thats well priced (Cmon Sigma!)

16. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

I think any sports/wildlife shooter dreams of well-priced glass whatever system they shoot :Pirate:

I am a happy camper as my 24105G has been delivered and I just picked up a PCK-LG1 screen protector from Camerapro. So I am all good to go.:thumbup:

17. BuD

BuD Member

yeah i wouldnt mind shooting some sport till i saw the lens prices of 200-600mm lenses. i know at the AFL/NRL 200 is like BARE minimum focal length.

18. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I had a chance to test all the new teles from Tamron on both the Metabones V and Sig MC-11 recently. This includes the 70-200 G2, 100-400, ande 150-600 G2. Of those only the 70-200 worked well (and by worked well I mean you can't really tell it was not native), but all the others would not consistently focus. If you help them, and they don't have to hunt it was not bad, but otherwise they are pretty much unusable. None of the lenses are actually that great with the 100-400 being the worst. But what can you expect for that price.

I have not had a chance to test the Sigmas yet. Too busy during the Christmas shopping period.

The Canon 100-400 II on an MC-11 on the other hand... that combo works like a dream.

I made a slight mistake.... I sold my 24-70 F4 before my 24-105 arrived.... This is kind of awkward.

19. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yep!
    Just literally no Sony option until they release the 400 2.8, and then i'll not be able to afford it so a no go for me anytime soon.

Zoom pricing is fine in most cases, it the tele-primes that are an issue.
    I rarely shoot any WAFL less than 300mm, my 500mm is my go-to lens.

Ha, have done that before with some lenses - got a query to shoot literally the day before my new one arrived of course.

20. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

Considered me massively impressed after my first 'play'.

The A7Riii is fast. Not just the AF but the overall operation and function of the camera. The EVF and LCD are a noticeable step up from the previous generation too.

The new 24105F4 lens is very nice.

Still working my way through the menu systems and new options.

Now to put the A7Rii, vertical grip, SEL24240 and SEL90F2.8M up for sale to help pay for everything.