New Sony A7RIII

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Michael H, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

The guy I normally second shoot for has signed up for it Hyrax, and it worked out well! The IBIS in his A7RII broke and he sent it down to them to be fixed :)

2. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Nice, and while that would normally be covered by warranty anyway, you would get loan gear to cover you in the meantime.

I'm sold, just need to get a couple more Sony lenses though I've read some people have successfully signed up without satisfying all requirements anyway, probably assessed on a case by case basis, so I'll give it a stab.

3. BuD

BuD Member

i qualify. i got my old 85mm A mount lens i cant sell thats zeiss, my old a99, 16-35 zeiss and 85 E mount GM

4. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

You only get a loaner if the repair time is more than 3 working days after they receive it in the repair centre.

5. Xang

Xang Member

The A7R3 only embeds a low-res JPG preview in its RAW files unfortunately. You can still cull from it but it drives me crazy.

6. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yeah its more for my first level of culling, can at least check basic composition/focus and save a little time.
    The later Nikon embedded jpg's are awesome when it comes time to import

7. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

On super-hot Sunday last weekend where it got to 42 degrees in the west (Sydney), I was doing some general shooting out in direct midday sunlight (some 100 or so pics and a handful of video) and found my A7Riii got seriously hot on the surface that it was starting to get difficult to hold the camera without discomfort. I should note that the heat built up early on during the photos and video was done late, so this is purely the result of the sun, not due to the camera's operation.

Not once did the camera blink during the time I shot. No overheat, no nothing. The camera cooled again in the shade, but so far it appears to stand up well in a demanding environment.

8. m3k

m3k Member

bout to take the plunge- recommend any wide aperture lightweight lenses for this guy for travel?

as for heat - they tend to make the cameras black to be hard to seen in reflections and peoples eyes etc- but it would be good if it were coated white to reflect the heat.

9. BuD

BuD Member

for lightweight you will want to look at the f4 stop range. once you go 2.8 your adding a lot more glass and therefore weight

10. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

Depends on your definition of 'lightweight' and also if you want prime or zoom.

I have very good results with the 16-35F4Z but if I was buying again I would get the 12-24F4 G (only downside is the filters are expensive) as it is an excellent performer.

If going prime, there is the 28F2 which you can add a wide-angle (21mm) converter or a fish-eye converter to. I have lens and like it a lot.

11. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Yes the Sony 16-35mm f/4 is the obvious candidate. It's a solid lens. It won't blow your socks off IQ-wise, but it's certainly very capable. I used to own one. It handles nicely; it's light for its size if that makes sense. Still, it's maybe a bit overpriced for an UWA considering the ease with which you can adapt. However, they do seem to pop up on used marketplaces a bit more compared to other FE glass.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  12. Shotkit

Shotkit New Member

I just bought the a7r3 with the 28mm f/2 - may not be wide enough for your needs but is a great lightweight lens.

13. m3k

m3k Member

f2 is plenty- anything better than f4 and lightweight is what im aiming for- im loving the idea of pairing the 42mp with a pancake that can actually resolve the 42mp decently. very exciting concept for a tourist camera without having big lenses that make theifs think $$$

14. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yeah i got the 28mm for my a7rii and its very good, and actually small!

15. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

I too love the Sony 28mm f2 :) I also got the Samyang 35mm f2.8 for an even smaller alternative, but I have that more for street photography than anything else.

16. Shotkit

Shotkit New Member

Ah yep another great lens. I'm all for the small, lightweight lenses - anything else seems to really unbalance these small mirrorless bodies.

Here's a review of the Sony a7RIII someone did for my site that you guys might find interesting... if only for the hilarious gifs!!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  17. Shotkit

Shotkit New Member

I shot my first wedding with the a7RIII on the weekend and recorded my thoughts in a short video here if anyone's interested.

I don't sugar-coat it - some of the features I loved... others I hated!! LMK if you agree with my complaints...

pinchies likes this.
  18. Xang

Xang Member

19. Shotkit

Shotkit New Member

Oops thanks Xang!

20. quwackers

quwackers Member

Edit: Loved the review btw, one thing I will remark on, if that was your first time using the A7 form factor it might be worth taking some time to get used to the ergonomics before making your final judgement.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018