New tank... questions.

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by BOB_LORDOFEVIL, Nov 13, 2009.

1. BOB_LORDOFEVIL

BOB_LORDOFEVIL Member

Hi Guys, we are building a new fish tank soon (Upgrading my 200L tank) and have a few questions regarding fish choice and plant choice.

The new tank dimensions are 130cm wide, 70cm in width and 60cm tall, totaling 546 Litres.

At the moment I'm planning to have my current 6 Discus fish in there and around 10 Neon Tetras, I was just wondering what other fish would go well with the Discus? I currently have 6 Clown Loaches in with the Discus in the 200L tank and they seem to be freaking the Discus out. With the new tank size I may stick with the current fish and add another 2 Discus...

Also what plants would be best? I plan to keep the tank as 'minimal' as possible, a few tunnels for the fish to take cover in, and low lying plants if possible and a piece of drift wood.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

First up get rid of the clownies, they will scare your discus and/or create havoc when they spawn. As for other fish, tetras, Apistos, corys. Basically any fish that can live confortably at 28C. Plants, swords are easy to grow in a discus tank as well as vals, hair grass might work.

Avoid sucking catfish (chinese sucking loache as I have seen one try snack on the discus slime coating).