New telescope may link us to alien life

Discussion in 'Science' started by 007*, Jul 10, 2011.

1. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

I'm hoping to do this! Currently at uni.

Hopefully :Pirate:

2. Danske

Danske Member

We'll find out in a few days whether Aus or SA will get the SKA bid.

Man I REALLY hope we get it... and I really hope we emphasised the fact that the NBN will be perfect for the SKA project.

Was reading on the ABC blog that the rumourmil in Europe is that SA will get it :( :(.

3. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Labor's going to lose so no nbn either

4. Danske

Danske Member

Nooo dont say that.

I know labor will lose but I'm hoping NBN project gears are too much in motion to stop (or at least they can limit to FTTN and save some $).

5. ravescar

ravescar Member

** finger crossed that we gets it **

6. Danske

Danske Member

7. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Man im gonna pinch so much copper wire from those unmanned sites...

8. Foliage

Foliage Member

Go up to moomba and steal the solar panels from the gas wells, tourists come up and do it all the time.

About $10k worth of panels per well, you could probably knock off quite a few before anyone did anything about it.

9. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

That's pretty shitty. We have a hobby farm in country vic with not many locals around. The fishermen passing by will flog anything not locked up inside.

I hope they've budgeted for some remote monitoring gear.

10. Ageotas

Ageotas Member

I swear, if you touch my telescopes I will beat you, and there will be nothing madcap or wacky about it.

On a more serious note, they are not unmanned. Especially now during the assembly of the antennas, there are a lot of people flying in and out of the site, which is also surrounded by security measures and strictly off limits to tourists. :)

11. FreelancerJ

FreelancerJ Member

Actually kinda hope Africa gets it, as awesome as it would be to have it here in Aus.
    Regardless of whether it is here or there, it will be a massive bonus to astronomy. Difference for if they get it though, is that it will be of massive value to infrastructure over there and they could really use that sort of thing...

12. Jedi Jezz

Jedi Jezz Member

I think that both countries will get a part of the funding to add to their current investment. I am happy to be proven wrong but it will be more than likely that politics will drive the final decision and any scientific considerations will take a back seat.

13. Stax

Stax Member

I'm praying Australia gets it, I have a job to go to, based in Perth, on this project if we win.....
    Don't ask about the job, I can't tell you. YET....

Stax

14. Jacom

Jacom Member

15. qwerty123

qwerty123 (Banned or Deleted)

Looks like politics won in the end.

Maybe the eggheads feared Australia would chuck a wobbly without a consolation prize.

16. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

The eggheads in south africa are at least our equal when us when it comes to political correctness. Their's is a rickety historically racially influenced pc our is a tall poppy and technologically limiting pc. Anyhow, i think this is as good an outcome we could have hoped for (apart from getting the whole project) considering how much money we and SA spent promoting it.

17. gt4

gt4 Member

Can one of the "eggheads" please explain the traveling back
    To the beginning of time please.

Even after reading about radio waves..etc I still dont comprehend it.

18. Ageotas

Ageotas Member

I am not going to lie, there is a large amount of politics involved in the decision, but the decision to split was not made lightly. The important thing to recognise here is that they are attempting to split up the frequency spectrum so that each site can focus on what they do best; Southern Africa is getting the mid-frequency spectrum (as their MEERKAT has been shown to handle well) and we are getting the low-frequency spectrum (which our MWA is doing fantastically). The high-frequency spectrum has not yet been allocated, but fingers crossed that out phased-array feeds will lure that over here.

Gladly, though we could just say "scientists" or something a little more flattering than "eggheads" :p

Because light can only travel at a maximum speed (that is: the speed of light) it means that things that are sufficiently far enough away will emit light that takes a long time to reach us. Sometimes it will take thousands, millions, even billions of years, depending on how far away the object is. This means that when the light reaches us, it shows us what the object looked like when it made the light, millions of years ago. However in those millions of years, the object might have changed, or even gone completely!

So the light that we capture from far away galaxies is like a snapshot of what those galaxies looked like when they made the light. When we look at galaxies that are the farthest away, close to 50 billion light years away, we are looking at light that was made at a time when the universe as we know it was very very young.

19. qwerty123

qwerty123 (Banned or Deleted)

Maybe I was a little bit hasty, SKA probably made the best decision given the circumstances. SKA knows that to build too many telescopes in Australia would be obscenely expensive. And they know they need to reward Africa for embracing science and presenting the best bid.

But they also need Australia to chip in its fair share, and not spit the dummy. So Australia gets a token share of the project, less than 1/3rd. Australia's chronically neglected science sector can save face. The Australian public don't care either way though.

Africa takes the lion's share of SKA

The Australian May 26, 2012 4:01PM

IN a snub to Australian science South Africa will host the bulk of the Square Kilometre Array.

The decision will see over 2/3rds of the crucial dishes for the Euro 1.5bn project built in Africa. The resulting vast radio telescope will analyse radio waves for information on the origins of the universe.

[...]

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/hig...ons-share-of-ska/story-e6frgcjx-1226367751112

20. Jedi Jezz

Jedi Jezz Member

I don't see why it is that expensive to build them in Australia afterall for ASKAP CSIRO used a company from China to build them and workers from China to assemble them here.