[New title]My Yamaha Home Theatre system on my PC

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by unwritt3n, Apr 22, 2007.

1. unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

Hey guys...

Looking at getting a new system for my PC/Xbox 360 setup.
    I need a powerful system, but I also want quality.

I had the Logitech Z-5300e speakers, they were excellent, powerful and good quality. Only thing they lack were having inputs for multiple sources.

So now I have my eye on the Logitech Z-5500 system, and a Yamaha 600Watt 5.1 Home Theatre system available at JB HiFi.

The logitech speakers:
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/AU/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9486

And now the Yamaha system:
    http://www.yamaha.com.au/products/avit/htsystems/yht185-npb.pdf

I really don't know which ones to go for.. what do you reckon. Here are the problems with these 2:

- Logitech speakers are all powered off the sub
    - Logitech speakers are limited to what I can control as in (sound levels for speakrs/amp)
    - The logitech speakers are a 500W, yamaha is 600W
    - I can't upgrade speaker on the logitech system.
    - I have an Audigy 2 ZS sound card, I don't think I can achieve 5.1 with the yamaha sub becasue it doesn't have the 3x 3.5 stereo jack connection that the audigy uses for 5.1. My motherboard's onboard sound has a digital coax though.
    - Aswell as my PC and Xbox 360, I will have more inputs on the yamaha amp.

Price difference between the 2 is about $90-$120. What do you guys think?
    I have a budget of around $500

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  2. OP
    OP
    unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

From comparing the specs...
    It looks like the Yamaha system is better. It's just if I get the Yamaha system, I'm not sure what to do with 5.1 on my PC.

3. pongie

pongie Member

You can alwasy use those 3.5mm to 2x RCA/3x RCA cable from jay car to plug your audigy into your Yamaha. It depends on what your audigy outputs on each 3.5mm. Normally its FL/C/FR, RL/RR and SUB so a 3xRCA, 2xRCA and a signle RCA cable will do the trick.

4. OP
    OP
    unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

But where would that plug into the AMP? Each chanel on the amp only has 2x RCA connections.. I would have to spread it across multiple chanels and that wouldnt would.

5. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

You use the multi channel input

3 x 3.5mm changes to 6 x RCA

Front Left, Front Right
    Rear Left, Rear Right
    Centre and Sub

I run z-5500s personally at home with my pc (optical 5.1 via X-Mystique SC, dvd player (co-ax), and i use 3.5mm plugs for cd-player/radios etc.

Both would do what you want, whats your layout gonna be like. The control pannel can't be to far away from the sub.

The yamaha would prolly look better in a lounge room, but both would suit your needs fine.

6. OP
    OP
    unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

Ahh ok I get what you mean.

I really can't decide. That yamaha system is going at JB HiFi for $568. But they have it slashed and tell you to ask for a deal. The logitech's can be purchased for $422 at MSY.

So if I could get the yamaha for $500 say, I wonder if I should go for it for only another $80.

This is a setup for my bedroom... about 5m x 4m room. using it for XBox 360/PC. Wathcing movies and playing games pretty much. Also for listening to music.

Cheers.

I just cant decide. If I get he yamaha one, I then have a chance of upgrading my 2 front speakrs down the track to floor standing ones :p

7. OP
    OP
    unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

Well I have finally decided to go with the Yamaha system over the Logitech speakers. A family friend works at the good guys and I can get the system for $450. An absolute bargain!!! Nearly the same price as the Logitech. Will definatly have them by the end of the week. I will probably write a review up once it's all up and running.

8. alvarez

alvarez Member

Be carefull with the rca to 3.5 converts I have trouble fitting enough of them into my sound card.

And good choice with the yammaha, They arent even in the same field as the logitech speakers, There allright speakers but for that price I expected alot better.

Enjoy your new setup. :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

I will be for sure!!
    I'm not going to get the converters, I am going to actually get 3 of the cables like this:

[​IMG]

10. mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

That cable is the converts everyone is talking about.

The little black plug is the 3.5mm one and the red and yellow are both RCA plugs :)

11. FFC

FFC Member

You wont be disappointed. Logitech make great mice and speakers that completely lack midrange.

12. yihfeng

yihfeng Member

I would consider just using your onboard digital out?

If you insist on listening to them with the sub at full, please don't say the logitechs completely lack midrange...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  13. FFC

FFC Member

Im sure its there if you pretend it is...lol

14. OP
    OP
    unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

Hey guys.

Got my system. Working sweet and sounds awesome!!!!
    Got my Xbox 360 running through an optical and the PC is conencted via the 6ch direct input.

Only problem... How can I make my subwoofer part of a 2 channel stream from my PC. Like MP3's and stuff.

Becasue I only have sattelite speakers, they lack bass needed when listeneing to just stereo MP3's. I want to have the 2 fronts and sub working while listeneing to MP3's instead of just the 2 fronts. Watching movies of the PC sounds unreal, all 5 channels work, and they work well!!

In a few months or so I'll probably be upgrading my 2 front speakers to some good Jensens on Dalis.

I have 2x Technics 2 Way 80W speakers, about 1m high they are... I chucked them on my amp on the speaker B connection to change between. Desipite the speakers costin me $5 at a garage sale and they are about 20 years old, the sound awesome!

I wanna get myself a good pair of fronts though, with a $250 budget soon.

15. OP
    OP
    unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

I been googleing heaps today, trying to find out a way of sorting out my issue here.

I'll explain in detail now what I need and what I got.

PC/Sound system is in my signature.

Ok so I got my Xbox 360 running through one of the optical ports on the Yamaha AMP.
    I have my PC connected to the 6ch input on the back of my amp. This is going from my Audigy 2 ZS, out 3x 3.5mm jacks, to the approprate RCA in's on the back on the amp in the 6ch input section.

Here is a quick little drawing of how it's connected: (CLICK TO ENLARGE)
    [​IMG]

Now when I play files/movies or what ever that are 5.1 sources everything plays as normal.

When I play MP3's, only the front left and right speakers work and nothing else. This is correct, but I want my subwoofer to work aswell! I need the extra bass, its just so much treble atm.

Does anyone know a program out there that will let me select how to play my MP3's? as in, what speakers to output them out? I want to choose my 2 fronts and the subby.

Everything else is working fine.

16. steelykeneely

steelykeneely Member

You said you have a Audigy 2 ZS. In the Audigy control panel/s go throgh the speaker settings. I think there's a way you can get low frequencies directed to your sub. I used to have the software installed but my Audigy 2 died :thumbdn: so I can't tell you directly where to go. Mabye someone else can help but just have a poke around the settings.

17. OP
    OP
    unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

Ah ok, hmm thats what I thought... I'm pretty sure there is, but...
    Well in a little pickle here now, I'm on vista now, nothing works on it except the actual drivers. No other creative programs work. So I was hoping for something on Vista to be around.

If so, I'm going back to XP.

18. NforSa

NforSa Member

what if you switch your amp from 5.1 to stereo mode when listening to music? i would think it would mix the sub channel for you then. maybe?
    bit of a hack way to do it tho i guess...

19. OP
    OP
    unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

That's what I thought, but when My amp is set on 6 ch input mode, I can't select any audio modes. :S

20. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

My Yamaha amp automatically does this - when using a digital input and selecting "stereo".

Is there anything in the instruction manual regarding to "bass management" or "bass redirection"?