[New title]My Yamaha Home Theatre system on my PC

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by unwritt3n, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Cererus

Cererus Member

Your amp has 2 optical inputs ?, if your MB onboard sound chip has optical out
    why not use that and ditch the audigy (or use its optical out if it has one)
    My yam av receiver auto detects what type of signal is coming in thru the inputs,
    the music enhancer has 2ch and 6ch mode which should get the sub working with
    stereo output from your MP3 player.
    I use Foobar 2000 kernel streaming the data straight to the amp via the onboard NF4 optical out.
    The yam user manual isn't very well written and light on details took me 3 days of fiddling and doing a
    manual set up to get things sounding the way I wanted.
    Search round www.avsforum.com thats where I found a much better guide to setting up Yamaha receivers.

2. yihfeng

yihfeng Member

Exactly what I was thinking. If you are happy with stereo you should by pass your Audigy?

If not, you could try buying a card that supports DTS interactive ;)

3. OP
    OP
    unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

Ok.

Well the reason why I am using the 6 ch input is 1 becasue I have an Audigy 2 ZS and I don't wanna not use it. 2, I have read that when using digital cables to the amp, your games will not play in 5.1 becasue they are only in analouge. Whereas with the 6ch input I still get 5.1...

My Audigy 2 ZS has a digital out which I could use, but its weird. I need a cable which is like impossible to find. The digital out on the Audigy is only a 3.5mm stereo jack. I have looked it up, and I need a cable that has:

1 end is a 3.5mm stereo cable with 4 black stripes, and on the other end is the digital coax.

4. OP
    OP
    unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

Well, I am going to give my onboard sound a shot, see what that gives me running through digital Coax into my amp. If I like i might keep that... only thing with that though is I will only be gettin 2.1, correct my if im wrong though.

Or I will get 5.1, but in my games, it will only be 2.1.

If thats the case, I might sell my Audigy 2 ZS off, and get myself a HDA X-Plosion card, it has Dolby Digital Live and DTS conenct for digital conversion on the fly straight into my amp.

EDIT:

So i need a digital coax cable to conenct the digital coax from my motherboard to my amp. Can I use just a standard RCA for this or does it have to be the actual Digital Coax cable.

-I just plugged in a normal RCA from PC to amp on th SPDIF connection. When I do the 5.1 speaker test it only gives me the 2 fronts. I just played a MP3 and switched my AMP to "2ch Music Enhancer" I get the subby!!! even if i do 5 ch Music Enhancer I get all 5 speakrs plus the subby!!

How come 5.1 test doenst work though? Is that coz of the RCA cable instead of the digital coax?

EDIT AGAIN:

Just played some DTS samples I had on my computer, when I play them my AMP displays the DTS symbol, but the sound is all weird. It just keeps jumping... sounds like its freezing and skipping all the sound. any ideas? could it be the cable?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  5. FFC

FFC Member

You'll only get true DTS or 5.1 channel sound if your soundcard can output in that form over optical/coax. Most can't, there are 3-5 cards on the market at the moment that can.

To answer your question about Coax SPDIF, at the end of the day it is just an RCA (thats actually the type of connection on the end of the cable, btw). Usually its just a "high quality" RCA cable labled as coax. Stupid, yes. You could just use a regular RCA cable, but they generally aren't shielded very well. You might not notice the difference, you might. Just depends on how many power cables it runs along side.

HDAudiovisual has preorders for some new cards in the Sponsor Specials forum, they will give you what you want either using optical or coax. Or you can go for the Xplosion, which is probably just as good and you should be able to find one in stock.

6. ywn

ywn Member

you said that your onboard sound had optical i would be using that as it will just require 1 cable and optical wont sound any diff to using the audigy

7. OP
    OP
    unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

Yeah so I am using my optical...
    But when I play DTS/Dolby digital stuff the sound is shuttering and is like 10 seoconds delayed. I am just using a high quality RCA (not "coax").
    My receiver is picking up the signal becasue when i play my DTS samples the amp changes to "DTS DIGITAL"

8. FFC

FFC Member

Are you sure you have and Audigy 2 ZS, as far as I can see on creatives site, the Audigy 2 ZS is for notebooks. Either that or you have the Audigy 2 ZS Video editor?

Either way it doesnt support DTS/Dolby output at all. Not in 5.1/6.1/7.1 anyway.

Your onboard wont support it either. If you want to have listenable sound you'll need to upgrade your soundcard.

9. OP
    OP
    unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

It is an audigy 2 zs. check here:
    It does have its own in-built dolby digital decoder, or you can use digital out to an external processor. Only problem with that is, is that you need a 4-pole-stereo 3.5mm to 4-pole-stereo 3.5mm cable. They are hard to find... and just a pain in the arse. I think I am just going to sell my Audigy 2 ZS, use onboard SPDIF for now, and get a better card later on.. like the HDA X-Plosion with DD Live and DTS Connect.

(btw, check the "for sale" forum soon for my Audigy 2 ZS. Great condition, all original box/documents/software).