New to HTPC - On the right track?

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Shinanigans, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Are you using a NUC? They also have a CIR port on the front that works with a MCE remote.

http://libcec.pulse-eight.com/ for reference.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

No, I have a usb receiver for the remote.

3. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

This so much, its amazing how many people don't know what CEC is or how much more it does than turn on devices. I've found salesmen don't even know what it does.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

But does the tv remote have "play" and "stop" and playback buttons? OP will need those.

5. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Depends on the TV, you don't necessarily need those buttons as you can always press the enter/ok button to bring up the menu and select it from there.

6. andurils_sheath

andurils_sheath Member

My 6 or 7 year old samsung plasma has them with one of the earliest CEC implimentations, I haven't seen a CEC capable TV without them.

I'm 99% sure his new Samsung tv will have the buttons and he will find it an enjoyable experience to use.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

ok, thanks:thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

Hey, my TV model is UA55JU6400WXXY, its a bit under 2 years old. The remote does have the play/stop/etc buttons which I use for Netflix.

So I tried plugging in the HTPC directly via HDMI (from on-board, removed the GPU) and I get the image showing up fine. Out of curiosity/hope, I tried using the TV remote to control it but no such luck. So I went into the AnyNet+ settings and searched for devices but it didn't find anything. :upset:

Is there a particular HDMI port on the TV I should plug into? Some are labelled with things like "ARC", "MHL", "STB/DVI", not sure if any of these ports have the required functionality I need? Or maybe I need to use the Displayport on the GPU instead?

Or do I simply need to spend the money and buy that HDMI/CEC adapter for $45USD?

9. andurils_sheath

andurils_sheath Member

Your computer is not a CEC compliant HDMI device. What the converter does is it translates the CEC control signals from the TV to a USB input on your computer. Without it the signals from the TV will not reach your computer in a way it will understand.

The CEC controller also sends signals back to your TV if the setting allow, such as selecting the appropriate source and switching the TV on and off.

10. OP
    OP
    Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

Gotchya, thanks. Been reading up on it and apparently only a couple of GPUs support CEC in basic form. Sucks.

Soooo, recommendations on prebuilt little boxes? :lol:

11. andurils_sheath

andurils_sheath Member

You can just interface with the CEC controller linked above from Pulse Eight. Its really good and plug and play OOtB.

12. shmity

shmity Member

Just buy one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-TV-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B01N1NT9Y6

and build a NAS and be done with it. Put a HDhomerun in and run with PLEX if you want live tv as well.

13. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

i use a xbox one s controller as my kodi is on a win 10 nuc and the controller works for emulators that run in kodi as well so win win

sidebar: anyone know if the intel n3160 can do 4k@60hz?

i get only 4k@30hz but not sure if thats the limit or ive missed something somewhere to plug in? its a msi cubi n so all in 1 nuc box

14. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

15. shmity

shmity Member

No HDMI 2.0 so no 4k@60

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

Also, I'm not too sure what 4K really is (fancier display), but if it isn't "everywhere" I wouldn't worry too much about providing for it down the track. It always happens, you buy something you think will be "future-proof" in some way and then something better/cheaper/some other quality you like comes along and you just end up buying something new. How many people who put together a "top of the range" HTPC are now using small form factor NUCs and the like?

17. Jarrah

Jarrah Member

If I were to replace my HTPC I would be looking at a nvidia shield or any of the X95 android boxes..don't see the need to have a desktop PC in this role anymore.

18. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I'm interested in a nvidia shield vs NUC comparison - ensuring similar price points.

19. jakes

jakes Member

screen resolution of at least 3840x2160

20. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I thought it was literally 4xxx x xxxx - hence 4K. You seem to present 3K, that is 3840?

I stand corrected:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution