1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

New to PC audio

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by no1joey, Feb 20, 2007.

1. no1joey

no1joey (Banned or Deleted)

I was just wondering if you guys had any advice on a sound card. At the moment I use the sound card that the Asus PN32-E Sli comes with:

SupremeFX (ADI 1988b)
    The SupremeFX audio card is designed to provide you the best game sound experience. With 24bit/192kHz full sampling in all surround channels, no matter if you're hearing your game through headphones or 7.1 surround speakers, we'll deliver the effects loud and clear!

Pic - http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u299/no1joey/supremeFXcard.jpg

Im not sure whether this is good enough for quality sound, or if I should invest in something better.

If so, any advice on what to look at? Ive never looked into sound cards when it comes to upgrading my pc....

2. FFC

FFC Member

What kind of speakers do you have?

3. [SMAK]Critter

[SMAK]Critter Member

are you happy with what you have?

4. OP
    OP
    no1joey

I have logitech X-530 5.1 system. Yes I am happy with what I have but I wonder if I could be happier with something better.. Im not sure if I get a better sound card will the difference in quality be noticable ?

5. FFC

FFC Member

With those speakers its not really worth while at all. Stick with what you have.

6. OP
    OP
    no1joey

whats wrong with them?

7. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Not much, for the price, but they're not exactly high-end speakers. The gains from installing a real soundcard would be limited on those speakers, but still noticeable. That said, if you're happy with your current sound, why change? ;)

8. OP
    OP
    no1joey

I didnt know pc speakers come in better quality...thought they werent like car speakers where u can get varing quality

thought it mostly depended on the sound card

9. FFC

FFC Member

Everything comes in better quality :p

You aren't limited to just using "pc speakers" on your computer.

While you'll get more features on a new soundcard, and marginally better sound through those x530's, its not worth spending the money unless you plan to upgrade in the future (ie to an amp and decent set of bookshelf speakers, or even a HT 5.1 setup)

10. power

power Member

i dunno what these guys are on about here but i used to have a set of Z-640's (the equivalent to X-530's just older model) and a dedicated sound card sounded much better than onboard sound (onboard was muffled and crap sounding) so i'd recommend you upgrade your sound to something better and don't limit yourself get something nice like an Xtrememusic which will outdo your speakers and probably your next speakers as well but more importantly your not upgrading to "good enough".

Don't kid yourself the X-Fi WILL sound better on those speakers than onboard.

11. OP
    OP
    no1joey

cool thanks power

12. power

power Member

i'd research the X-Fi in your board though as many N-Force boards (normally NF4 amd) had some issues (that said i've seen Fatalities running perfectly in A8N-SLi's) and other people can't get things running properly - as a reference of quality though my crusty old SBLive value sounds better for music than the onboard on three mainboards i have (P4P800, Intel 955XBK and P4G8X) and any of the newer boards i've heard (this HD-Audio onboard thing is a gip if you ask me, i don't notice it being any better than older onboard audio) my Hercules Fortissimo sounds better than my SBLive and my X-Fi sounds better again (mainly in games about equal for music i'd say).

dedicated soundcards produce a crisper clearer sound across the board and also the X-Fi has many games written with it specifically in mind (Battlefield 2 and 2142 spring to mind as well as UT 2004 which had the entire sound package re-written to show off X-Fi) there are others but overall sound IS better even on low/mid sound systems like yours.

Some people say they notice no difference, but most concur that there is one - guess it depends what good sound is worth to you, personally sound is important to me as a part of my entertainment.

Oh and you are at entry level 5.1 pc speakers if after a while you get sick of them you could always step up to the big bad logitechs the Z-5500's they rock and will really show off a decent card :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  13. OP
    OP
    no1joey

cool thanks man

14. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

Ive got some Altec Lansing MX5021 connected to my comp(and a 2.1hifii system) The ~$40 i spent on a Chaintech AV10 was well worth it imo, though the better the speaker the more difference in quality youll be able to hear. But spending $200+ on a XFI for a set of 530 doesnt really sound right though, have a look at other options aswell:)

EDIT: Check the HDA audiovisual sponsor specials

15. ZoLi

ZoLi Member

I suppose this totally depends on your budget and how much your willing to spend on better audio. Rememeber an X-fi will set you back a bit where as there maybe other options out there for less, also you have to examine what you will actually use it for? Gaming where you may actually care that you have the latest EAX, Music/Theatre.

If you buy a X-fi you will spend a bit of cash for not a huge upgrade in sound. The speakers my sound slightly more resolute however the Logitech speakers (z640's and x530's) are known to lose alot of Midrange as the satelite tweeters just cant produce it.

16. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

Pretty sure all logitech have dodgey midrange:)

17. ZoLi

ZoLi Member

Okay pretty dodge with all ;) :thumbup:

18. power

power Member

don't forget if you are a gamer and want to go Vista X-Fi will be the only EAX capable card too - there's plenty of reasons to go X-Fi and alot of it comes down to what you want to do