New to Photography

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by sgtraven, Apr 30, 2007.

1. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

Ok, had the Powershot Pro 1 for about a month and went wild taking pics.

haven't quite got the hang of it and never really touched a camera in my life but hey. we all goto start somewhere

Constructive criticism welcome.

i think i should have bumped them up to 1280x1024

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior R.I.P.

Your shots aren't bad, nothing wrong that i can see. Are any shots at the limits of the Pro1's zoom? I was considering getting one over my S3 IS for the L glass but being involved with motorsport and having practially no aftermarket lenses to enhance it went for the S3... :)

3. HANKFISTA

HANKFISTA Member

well i really shot 3 great colour!!!

4. OP
    OP
    sgtraven

sgtraven Member

absolutely,

My mate has a Cannon 20d with a couple of L series lenses (lucky bugger)
    and my Powershot pro1 (L Series Lense)

we are going to go into the city again and get some time lapse photo's happening soon.

Melbourne is a BEAUTIFUL City at night isnt it. It all really comes down to the lighting. im going to venture around fed square soon and see what i can get there but i am a nocturnal photographer love the low light shots.

may try for a panoramic soon, itl be hard getting the lighting the same and because of movement it wont match up easily

5. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

That's why you use a tripod ;) :D

6. OP
    OP
    sgtraven

sgtraven Member

agreed but even then because a lot of the content is not static (like water, flickering lights, boats birds people) it will not match up. taking 3-4 shots of each section may be my only option if i want a close to flawless panoramic.

i.e Boat goes past and creates ripple in the water, you have to retake the photo UNLESS its in the first fram and leading into the Panoramic.

hard to explain without a diagram but yea, ive taken a few panoramics and its always hard to get a good one, high exposures just add to the issue.

panoramics of the beach are hard because of the waves,

panoramics of nature are hard because of wind in trees/birds

panoramics of the sky are hard due to fast moving clouds.

easy content is vast landscapes of unmoving content..

hey, then again im only new to this stuff, theres always photochop hey :)

EDIT: love for some ppl to post their panoramics ill get a collage(spelling) happening of them in SUPER HIGH RES be a nice OCAU Background

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  7. LINUX

LINUX Member

I've found that the blending done by enblend (a Linux app) really helps for this stuff. I've taken quite a few beach panoramas and it's seldom a big issue. Keeping the waves small in the shot helps too.

Examples:
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/biogenesis_photo/CRW_9722-CRW_9723-crop-1000.jpg
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/biogenesis_photo/Rift_Sunset-curved-1000.jpg
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/biogenesis_photo/quiet_reflection-2000.jpg (long exposure, bit of a cheat :p.)
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/biogenesis_photo/rift_pano.jpg (short exposure in daytime, same scene as above, one big flaw because of poor wave timing)
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/biogenesis_photo/Redhead_nextday_bettercolour-crop.jpg
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/biogenesis_photo/Bluff_North_2-cropped-800t.jpg

That'll do for now. It's probably too many already :p. Some are far from "perfect", but hopefully you can see that it's possible to just sit back and appreciate a panorama without it needing to be perfect. But yeah, in the end major scene changes can be a real pain, especially when they're things that should be a straight, continuous line like the wake of a boat.

Back on topic: You've got a good eye Sgt_RaVeN. Your shots are interesting, ie they show good composition. There's a few overexposed/blown out bits and what not, there might be more technical errors visible on the full frames, but technical stuff is easier to learn to correct :).

8. OP
    OP
    sgtraven

sgtraven Member

thanks bud, those shots are in the firs few hundrted ive taken on the camera the firs 80 or so were just trying every setting (now i NEVER use auto :) ) i LOVE your panoramics their beautiful.

now i think my main focus is content for the moment, a great ocean road run is def in order :)

9. LINUX

LINUX Member

That's the spirit :thumbup:. I look forward to seeing the results.

Edit: You really need to post some larger res shots now that you're on the front page :).

10. OP
    OP
    sgtraven

sgtraven Member

oooh front page.

wow

11. [eXo]

[eXo] Member

Q-2... lol horrible hand.

12. OP
    OP
    sgtraven

sgtraven Member

hindsight states that i should have taken a pic of a blackjack but hey....why conform

13. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Impressive shots for a P&S.. Nice work mate.

What do the shots look like at full reso? Is there much noise?

I'd recommend you grabbing NoiseNinja dn the noise profile for the Powershot Pro 1.

Also play around with the manual settings on the camera a bit (namely Tv/Av/Manual Modes) .. You'll be suprised the quality of shots you can get :)

14. OP
    OP
    sgtraven

sgtraven Member

none of those shots are auto, most are tv but some manual.

there isnt much noise, i shoot in mainly ISO100 where possible and its just fine see as i try to use the tripod where possible and a high exposure

edit: theres barely any noise

15. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

The quicker you can take your photo's, the less hassle you'll have. Sure, moving objects will still be a problem but they will be minimised.