NEW TPG ADSL2+ 150GB $69.99 "Super" Plan Available Now

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Falls, Jun 7, 2007.

1. OP
    OP
    Falls

Falls Member

With TPG?

Plan upgrades with TPG are $0.

F.

2. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

I've had no issues with TPG, but my houses' lines are dodgy and they've had to limit me to 6144/512...

What happens when you reach the 110GB but not the 40? are you shaped at night and unshaped during the day?

3. Crashoveride

Crashoveride Member

now we just have to wait for iinet to throw us a plan with the same rates :D

4. NiTeHaWk

NiTeHaWk Member

i dont like the plan it needs to be more expensive, it just doesnt seem very sustainable. I'd rather pay $110 month if it meant this plan was for the long term or its it is sustainable put $40 into investment for FTTH. At this price there going to take on too many subscribers too quickly and i'm fully expecting alot of complaints in whirlpool about crappy speeds soon.

5. dinos22

dinos22 Member

TPG are dodgy

they backflip all the time and change their plans so quickly
    they will lure people in and then change the plans

shit customer service too (actually non-existent)

6. wwwww

wwwww Member

Gosh...I pay $30 extra per month for a static IP...

7. Redux

Redux Member

I get disconnected like, 10 times a month, for 3-4 hrs at a time - one time during assignment period. /wrists

As for the plan, I'm currently on $60 per month for 30GB. However, after I'm capped, between hours 1AM-8AM, the floodgates open again every night.

I pulled about ~92GB a month back when 24/Prison Break/Lost/Battlestar Galactica/Entourage/Sopranos were on.

Hopefully its an unwritten thing they let us have, but if they start genuinely capping me when this new plan rolls out, I'll probably bite the bullet and pay the $70.

8. OP
    OP
    Falls

Falls Member

They honour contract periods. As for plan changes, most isp change them just as often as TPG.

Falls.

9. Rogue

Rogue Old Member

Are you sure this is the fault of the provider? I'm not saying it isn't, but this seems highly unusual. I've had my service go down 2 or 3 times this year, and both times it was a router overheating (air vents blocked).

I don't see why TPG wouldn't be able to sustain this plan - they are effectively encouraging their users to use download allowances during periods where the network is under-utilised. It may not reduce network traffic during the peak periods substantially, but it will build "better" (in TPGs world) user behaviour on their network.

I'll be switching the moment it's available. Given you are locked into another 12 month contract when you change, and TPG seem to honour their contracts without price changes, I don't forsee any issues for the first 12 months I'm on the new plan.

10. mortal

mortal Member

Usually things like these don't last.

11. TMM

TMM Member

-Crap support (they just deny theres a problem and blame your hardware and/or telstra, the line, etc). It does not take long to get onto someone on their support line, but they are usually not technically trained, and are not told about problems. Usually they insist there is nothing wrong and just read out the usual list ... reset your modem do and isolation test etc. When things go wrong on TPG you have more luck flaming on whirlpool then ringing TPG.
    -Awful proxy issues. Sometimes you have to refresh a page 5 times for it to load, and many times browsing slowed to a crawl, or just dropped out all together (P2P still worked). Switching to the Telstra proxy works but speeds are reduced -700KB/s down to 150KBs~ for me
    -Failure to acknowledge problems when they are clear as daylight to anyone who has a basic knowledge of the tracert command.

etc...

My connection between my house and the exchange was flawless and mega stable (and still is with my current ISP). I'd stay connected on average for 20days at a time, and when there was a problem with the connection (as in something up with my line) TPG reps at whirlpool were helpful and things were fixed promptly. The state TPG's network however is appalling and this is the number one reason i would not go with them.

I was with them for 4 years. Believe me, you don't want to do it no matter how tempting the price is.

</hides from vendor verdicts backlash>

Everyone runs their own ADSL2(+) DSLAMs afaik (hardware that connects everyones ADLS2 connections to the internet tubes basically :p). So if you connect with TPG you run on TPG's DSLAM, etc. If TPG do not have their own DSLAM at your exchange you can't sign on with them, or they sign you on to ADSL1 until their ADSL2 DSLAM is setup.
    Previously with ADSL1 many ISPs (including TPG) 'rented' ports on Telstra's DSLAMs (and they still do. this is why 8mbit plans are expensive), so you could sign up with any ISP that rented ports, and they didn't to have any of their own hardware at the exchange.
    The reason TPG and others don't rent ADSL2 ports from telstra is because it is far too costly for them. It is cheaper to setup their own DSLAM, so then they can offer very competitive prices. This is where things go wrong with TPG (their own hardware sucks)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  12. Doofus

Doofus Member

Damn it, have to wait until September until my exchange is enabled.

13. stmok

stmok Member

Hmmm...Doesn't sound like its worth taking this deal with support like that. (The "too good to be true" common sense is kicking in).

Regardless, even though my exchange is enabled with TPG DSLAM, I'm:

(1) on pair gain. :(
    (I found this out by talking to a TPG rep)

(2) too far away to benefit. :upset:
    (5.5km+ away from exchange)

Couldn't get ADSL2+ love if I tried. :upset:

...Guess I'm stuck with Optus and Telstra Cable until something new takes the reins. :rolleyes:

14. Tony

Tony New Member

their old 1500 adsl 20Gb for $50 latest for ages and they only fairly lately killed that grandfathered plan

just ride the wave until it breaks

i have not much problem with TPG

but i never had much technical problems in the first place

for cheap P2P leeching it's fine

games probably not so good

15. XTREME OC'ER

XTREME OC'ER Member

when is the off peak period for tpg. is it 12am - 12 pm like optus?

16. NforSa

NforSa Member

nice plan, noone has any plans to upgrade my exchange tho :(
    (bundoora) gahhhh
    :thumbdn:

17. Gecko

Gecko Member

I've got a TPG link into here (one of many links...), and after some initial setup problems (had to limit my sync speeds to 8000/1000 so i wouldn't drop out every 5 mins) - its been good. Very good connection for downloading.... perfectly legal Linux ISO's....

18. Sniper

Sniper Member

A lot of other place's still need to get ADSL2+ and cant thanks to telstra's bullshit.

19. digizone

digizone Member

And complaining about it on internet forums will do SFA to change that situation.

Writing to your local MP and then following that up with a phone call requesting a personal appointment would be a better approach.

It would also be entertaining in my opinion. An appreciation of just how ignorant most politicians are to the appalling state of affairs Australia's telecommunications infrastructure is in.

20. Rogue

Rogue Old Member

Telstra is blocking TPG from installing ADSL2+ DSLAMs? Where? Got link?

More likely those areas who "need" ADSL2+ don't have enough demand to justify providers installing their own hardware. 3 geeks is not a big enough business case to justify a rollout, regardless of how vocal they are on Whingepool. :p