NEW TPG ADSL2+ 150GB $69.99 "Super" Plan Available Now

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Falls, Jun 7, 2007.

1. dazzawul

dazzawul Member

*wants*

2 mbit line and my little brother and I blew 60 gigs on youtube and a bit of torrents (hell only 30 gigs can be attributed to P2P traffic :Paranoid: )

....in 8 days

this sorta plan gives godless leeching capacity AND stuff to waste in the day, I like the sound of it.

cheers lads.

2. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

Any word on when this plan is looking to be released?

I'm keen to get off my newly modified (now upgraded from expensive to ridiculously expensive) Internode 8mbit / 80gb plan.

3. Rogue

Rogue Old Member

Yes, Telstra have ADSL2+ hardware in the exchange, but TPG does not. Telstra do not want to wholesale ADSL2+ ports, and are not required to do so under any legislation.

Telstra do not prevent competitors from installing their own hardware, providing they pay the appropriate (ACCC-determined) rack, power and ULL fees.

Telstra have repeatedly said that they will only enable ADSL2+ access on their DSLAMs in exchanges where a competitor has activated ADSL2+ DSLAMs of their own. This prevents the ACCC from forcing them to wholesale access to their competitors. They don't want to sell it if it means they have to give it away to their competition too.

But my original point remains - I can't find any evidence that Telstra are blocking TPG or any other provider from installing ADSL2+ DSLAMs in exchanges. It's more likely to be that TPG does not have sufficient customer demand in the exchange to justify the DSLAM install costs.

No, they will not. At least, not until the ACCC reverses their previous decision forcing Telstra to provide wholesale access to it's DSLAMs if they are the only provider in an exchange.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  4. C0ncrete

C0ncrete Member

This one seems to good to be true?

5. yangby

yangby Member

I can't seem to find this info on the tpg website ... is this deal true?

6. Rogue

Rogue Old Member

The banner is on the website, but the plan timeframe is "will be released shortly". Rumours on Whingepool have it being released this week.

7. OP
    OP
    Falls

Falls Member

TPG Rep on whirlpool posted will be available Friday 29/6/07.

F.

8. nrl_bulldogs

nrl_bulldogs Member

Yes indeed, it has been confirmed. Launching this Friday 29th June. See here
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=756616&p=43#r843
    for confirmation by TPG rep.

I've been with TPG since 2004 during the good old 1.5Mb/20GB days and I've been very happy with their service. Very little downtime and I've never had to call them up. Will probably wait a while before upgrading from the 30GB plan - let the others test the waters...I'm already very happy with this current plan - uploads aren't capped and full speed is available when capped in off peak times anyway.

9. yangby

yangby Member

Looking great guys!!!

Another option for me to consider.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It does. Just makes you wonder how long it can possibly be sustained for.

Be great for heavy users if indeed it can be a success. Unfortunately I can't look towards this plan as I'm in a cable only area.

11. koma_white

koma_white Member

I'm a long time TPG customer and i think i'm noticing a pattern of TPG sales antics. TPG have been rather behind the times when it comes to increasing their available bandwidth to cope with all the ADSL2+ plans meaning that whilst synch speeds were indeed ADSL2+, average transfer speeds were often no more than ~512kbit. I've noticed in the last few weeks that their bandwidth problems have mostly been solved so i'm going to say that they've just gone and splashed out and upgraded their available bandwidth.
    NOW they release the 150gb plans to recoup some of the costs and lure back many of the customers who have abandoned them due to poor service with little consideration as to what this will do for available bandwidth during those 'leech-whore' hours.

It's great to finally see some high data usage plans at reasonable rates, just as a long time TPG customer it's a little concerning.

12. yangby

yangby Member

13. APFDF

APFDF Member

Giant RIAA/MPAA sting operation?!

I already have a TPG connection at one place which could be put on this plan to see how it goes.

14. ACodingFettish

ACodingFettish Member

none are doing this.

15. dicer

dicer Member

Optus are :sick:

16. Herbo

Herbo Member

Doing what specifically? And where did you get your information?

17. IncredibleBulk

IncredibleBulk Member

I'm currently on the TPG 25gb + VoIP plan but will be changing as soon as this plan becomes active. The reason we went with VoIP was because we practically got free calls but after setting it up, I realised our phone lines were just too buggy to sustain a good call quality. I've done eveything possible INSIDE the house but no improvement.

We make most of our calls on mobile anyway (great cap plans with 3) so losing VoIP isn't a big issue. Especially when we're going from 25gb a month to 150 :)

And yes, I will be downloading mainly during the off-peak time, even though I only do about 30gb a month in downloads now anyway

18. aerospyke

aerospyke Member

n00by question for all you guru's out there.

I'm on cable, and am wondering
    1. what is the speeds generally associated with cable? Can't find it anywhere on the optus website.
    2. As ADSL got a major speed boost, anyone rekkon cable may have a boost? if not....
    3. whats the advantage for ADSL over cable? is it mainly infrastructure as phone lines are already there, just need the changes to be made at the exchange and at the home instead of laying new cables? but if cable TV is there isn't that the same cable?

please explain :confused:

19. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

1. Theoretically it is 10Mb down, 256kb Up
    2. Telstra have 20Mb down cable, not sure on Optus' future plans.
    3. Upload Speeds are one advantage of ADSL

20. Freedom_

Freedom_ Member

Find out how far you are from the exchange, it might not be really a speed increase.

Within say 1km radius, that is full DSL2 speed.