new VIA mainboard

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by JSPEARS, Oct 6, 2006.

1. JSPEARS

JSPEARS Member

Remember when VIA M/boards were the only board to own while Nforce 2 were having problems.well I went back to the Via main board AM2 dual core 3600 with 2 ghz memory.chucked in the Nforce 939 for a quiet cool set up..WRONG wish full thinking.they work fine and seem to show that they are just as fast as the Nforce 4..but they are running just as hot as Nforce,well I think so any one that wants to add as a matter of interest..OH should add to that i got the MSI K9VGM-V.

2. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Ummm... What the hell does this post actually mean?

3. Rational

Rational Member

Think out your sentences before you type them, or at least sober up before you make a post.

4. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

I wish I had an am2 board I could put 2ghz of memory in any my s939 cpu.

That's so confusing

5. OP
    OP
    JSPEARS

JSPEARS Member

Are they happy with the hole set up

Sorry about the confusionThe point was :asking if any one has got a new VIA chipset board which is AM2 and what sort of performance are they getting with it.Are they happy with the hole set up compared to all those nForce boards running out there..

6. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

I see. I don't have a new VIA chipset for an AMD processor, but I do have a PT880 for one of my intel boxen. I am perfectly 100% happy with it, rock solid stable, fast enough. I guess the AMD ones would be the same as they are pretty much similar. Infact i would wager they are better for the AMD platform, as the northbridge is integrated in the CPU with AMD processors, so the chipset actually does less. (Just I/O functions really)

7. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

why go VIA when you can have NVidia Geforce6100 (and Nforce4/5 speeds and stability) for $100? spend an extra $5 for the NVidia chipset.

8. wesley5781

wesley5781 Member

I dont know what problems you've had with nvidia but everybody basically uses it for amd cpus they are stable chipsets.

9. OP
    OP
    JSPEARS

JSPEARS Member

dual core??

That’s what I originally said that via (chipset) was the board to use when nVidia was starting to enter the market,when nForce were having all sorts of problems incl getting hot due to north and south bridge conbined.six months ago their were tests showing on one site that the new (current) via chipset boards ran just as fast as the nForce 4 .i wanted to go back to via cause they always ran cooler than nForce.but that’s not the case any more.this via (MSI ) board is stable and performs good but temperatures are up the same as nForce4.which is a little disappointing.but then that may be effected by the dual core??

10. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

That actually makes sense. I think that the ATI chipset actually runs the coolest. I had an ECS board with an ATI chipset for Athlon64 and it was pretty nice, I had it in a HTPC.

EDIT: What temps are you talking about? Mainboard or CPU?

11. OP
    OP
    JSPEARS

JSPEARS Member

cpu and m/board

with my readout sitting in a cool room around 15deg (now)the main board is 30deg and CPU 42deg.when it gets to about 20deg the CPU is around 52.gaming around 59deg.mind you that i've had the same case for 3 years and 6-8 mainboards and god knows how many CPU's.

12. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Yeah, well the mainboard has no effect on CPU temps man! Just get a better fan!