New Website - Feedback - Gimme Reviews :)

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by ChEEkY ChiNo, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ChEEkY ChiNo

ChEEkY ChiNo Member

Hey Everyone,

How are we all today ? :p

I released my latest website 2 weeks ago (still missing some final tweaks) and I think it looks and works fantastically but am looking for some general community feedback from accross the web.

The site is an a FREE online sports directory where sporting clubs can list their details for and potential players can find a specific sporting club to play for, closest to their postcode.

I'm using a bit of AJAX for the sports dropdown search and a radial postcode search (ie if you type in 2560 it will give the search script all the postcodes in a radius of 10, 20 or 30Km. This works mad!).

Link: http://www.iwannaplay.net.au

All feedback welcomed no matter how harsh it is, I won't cry too much...

Thaaaaaaanks, Chino

2. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Bottom-right ads change too quickly to read and are distracting.

Also the navigation buttons only activate on the text, not the entire button which I found odd.

Looks good but I don't get what it's about :confused: The FAQ needs a how this works perhaps which is mentioned on the front page.

3. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

you having shooting listed twice when you go to ad your clubs sport.

4. Rezin

Rezin Member

It'd be good if the grass was along the bottom... or transparent, so the gradient hitting it didn't look so odd.

Not bad... but not so good if the user doesn't have JS enabled... they get nothing! :p

The hover effect isn't aligned either:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  5. dukestar

dukestar Member

looks great, i love your combobox implementation.

6. OP
    OP
    ChEEkY ChiNo

ChEEkY ChiNo Member

Ok i fixed up the transitions between the ads down the bottom right from 3 to 4.5 seconds.

For the navigation buttons when I hover over it, it highlights, not only on the text, what browser are you using im on IE7.

And the website is all about finding a sports club to play for. If your interested in playing Soccer for example, you could type Soccer into the sports search field and your postcode into the other and it will give you a list of clubs close to your location who you can contact and play for.

7. OP
    OP
    ChEEkY ChiNo

ChEEkY ChiNo Member

That is actually alligned correctly. That's how it was designed to be, dropped down a couple of pixels.

I think one is a typo. One of those shooting categories belongs under "Disability Shooting" :p

8. glasnt

glasnt Member

Looks swish.

And I like how QuickSMS is a sponsor :p

9. OP
    OP
    ChEEkY ChiNo

ChEEkY ChiNo Member

A Premium Sponsor :) The sporting clubs love sending sms to their players n stuff. Working well.

10. teegman

teegman Member

haha, this exact idea was on my list of things to do over the holidays :)

11. OP
    OP
    ChEEkY ChiNo

ChEEkY ChiNo Member

Hehe beat ya to it, wanna share any of your ideas? I think I did a good job.

Just got feedback on another forum saying it doesn't validate in W3c so am gonna fix that up also.

12. teegman

teegman Member

Yeah looks good.

I've got a huge list of projects to commence so I guess I can scrap this one hey :)
    Here are a few of the things I had on the feature list:
    Break down of clubs / leagues into competitiveness - i.e. social football / amateur soccer etc
    Reverse searches - ie players can sign up as available to play so clubs can hunt players
    Last minute reserves - let players sign up and state their availability to fill in so teams can hunt for reserve players (your sms work would tie in perfectly with this kind of thing)

I'll have a look through my notes when I get home and see what else I had down..

13. HyperEvAde

HyperEvAde Member

Drop down box has a problem in google chrome. The mouse overs don't seem to work properly. In FF3 I notice the text gets highlighted on mouse over. In chrome mouse over doesn't do anything.

But then I click on the whitespace to the side of the text in a row, and then the mouse over highlighting kinda works for that row only. Except it keeps the unbold text there, and has bold text underneath it.

Here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

Also the grey gradient on the background needs to fade to white where it hits the top of the grass image, because at the moment where it hits the top of the grass (with it's white bg) the gradient is still in a grey, so it looks odd.

14. OP
    OP
    ChEEkY ChiNo

ChEEkY ChiNo Member

Next website release.

I must be pro, c'mon seriously, got this FULLY FUNCTIONAL SMS/MMS messaging site up and running in under 48 hours. Well it's not fully functional but 99.9%

It's a commercial site so this is the only link i will post :thumbup:
    http://www.iwannasms.com.au/

:D:D:D

15. OP
    OP
    ChEEkY ChiNo

ChEEkY ChiNo Member

Updated:
    – Green links text made a tad darker
    – updated so forum no longer opens in new window but has proper link backs
    – Tennis no longer returns results from Table Tennis, search algorithm improved.

16. EvilBass

EvilBass Member

Is the search meant to be australia wide? I did a search on my postcode in vic under hockey and it came up with the closest result being 300km away.

17. OP
    OP
    ChEEkY ChiNo

ChEEkY ChiNo Member

Yes it is. BUT - We have only loaded data for NSW and I just loaded data for QLD about 10 minute ago :). Being that NO RESULTS were found by your search, the search system simply returns ALL results for that sporting category sorting by closest to your postcode first.

18. targa.florio

targa.florio (Banned or Deleted)

Clicking on the Home tab, then clicking the "contact us" link halfway down the page brings up the register club option.

Any reason to hide your email address?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  19. OP
    OP
    ChEEkY ChiNo

ChEEkY ChiNo Member

Not exacly sure what you mean, but that link was jsut broken and was going to the club registration page instaed of the contact us page, but thats fixed now :).

I'm getting so much possitive feedback + lots of tweaks.

Chino

20. targa.florio

targa.florio (Banned or Deleted)

2 seperate issues, one just pointing out the broken link, you're welcome. The second, I always like to see an actual email address when I click on a contact us link. Your choice of course.