New World MMORPG - Amazon Game Studios

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Sphinx, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

I rolled on Zara on launch, queues are ridic, and my group got split between Zara and Kibu (the people that didnt get on bang on launch didnt wanna wait). Ended up deleting Zara toon and rerolling on Kibu, if you can't get on early and stay on you would never get to play on those populated servers, if the one we are on dies out we will make use of that free transfer in a couple of weeks.

2. Saviola

Saviola Member

Deleted my 21 on yama and started again late yesterday u to 15 again so no drama. If you not in a company you cant move would move to another server.

3. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Looking at having a poke around in game soon, have watched a couple of streamers to get a idea of how it works.

Choosing a server - how much is this affected by faction choice? (My RP style is aligned more to Covenant)

Is there still issues with 30990's - Do I need to cap my frame rate or anything?

4. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Faction choice will just dictate which Companies you can join and the PvP stuff.
    The 3090 thing was for certain EVGA cards that had a manufacturing defect with the soldering.

Server choice, if you dont care about queues pick a high pop one, if you do care about queues pick one without a queue, this will give you an idea of the pop levels of each server currently: https://newworldstatus.com/?

5. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Anyone able to tell me how to get the game to default to my second monitor? Primary monitor is a 27" 1440p, whil emy secondary display is a 48: 4k unit and no matter what I did I couldn't find a 4k resolution to choose and as soon as I change from windowed to fullscreen the game reverts to my smaller display.

6. mtma

mtma Member

It might have been a thought that in the cloud distributed computing era that there would have been some way to smoothly handle this. But I guess they wanted to make sure everyone had the craving denial experience of queuing at launch.

CAPT-Irrelevant likes this.
  7. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Bought this the other day - had a mate suggest we jump in, on the Delos server and so far getting in has been easy - no waits. it's really a combination of GW2 and WOW. I'd recommend it, $56 isn't an offensive amount for what i've seen so far.

8. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

How is it anything like wow?

9. Saviola

Saviola Member

Into low 30s now just ticking along, gathering, crafting, pvp etc. Wasn't impressed with 1st expedition, design was top notch but it just felt like a zergfest; seemed a bit pointless. I know modern MMOs don't really utillise the trinity of classes but I do miss some thought and control in group play, hopefully that improves.

10. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Seems there is a bit of an influence gain exploit getting about atm, factions able to get from 0-100 influence in a zone excessively quickly with the defending team not being able to do a thing about it.

11. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Mate, I just don't know what to say to this.. I'll let you figure it out.

got to Lvl 17 over the weekend, really enjoying this, too bad for the long wait times jumping back in. No queues the whole weekend, then Sunday night 410 people ahead of me.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  12. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

The incredibly grindy repetitive quest loop (go here, ill this, hand in, go back here, gather the thing, hand in) etc etc is similar to wow, compared to a more story driven MMO like ESO or Final Fantasy....

Smoothie likes this.
  13. KriiV

KriiV Member

Funny they didn't do this from the start considering its Amazon and has basically unlimited access to servers.. (AWS).
    Good way to keep people online and hooked and not dropping off fast?

Either way, hope they get the queue issues fixed soon.

14. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

This is what I've been arguing. It's their own infrastructure and even own data centres... yet I've been balked on this because they say it's the game's design... which for 2021 I consider poor design. This type of limit is from 10 years ago and maybe more. It's laughable in 2021.

KriiV likes this.
  15. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Those starting zones would be fucked with more people in them, they did the right thing there.
    Also, you up the sever caps, you will have even more people missing out on the main War events as it is till only 50v50. I think it was a deliberate move to cap servers where they are currently sitting - maybe once more people are max level and spread evenly across the map they might see it as appropriate to increase caps.

Soda likes this.
  16. KriiV

KriiV Member

That makes sense. Goes to show it's not just a simple decision of "Let's add more servers".

Me jumping to a simple solution for what is ultimately a complex problem.
    There has to be something more elegant than crazy queue times though :(

17. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Yup, initially I had the exact same response, "ITS AMAZON! They literally sell scalable server architecture as a service how is this so bad?!". Then after a few days reflection started thinking up all the ways just increasing servers heaps would potentially be bad for the game.

18. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

I've been injoying it playing on the Duzakh server only had to que once so far, the bugs like the doubling up of sound tracks and achievements geting buged out are annoying but a restart of the game seems to fix them in the short term.

Some of the Spawn rates are all over the place, going from 10 people sitting around waiting for 1 bear to spawn that happens once every 10mins to a demon priest that spawns on a continual loop to the point they spawn before you even loot the body. But all in all i like it and will dump to many hours in.

19. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

So it's like MMO's before WoW but you're too young to remember a time before WoW so everything is like WoW.

OK GOT IT!!!!

20. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Wow was just the big one man, it's the one people know. I clearly remember a time before WOW - MMO's were not anywhere what they are today, WOW seemed to bring it so much more into mainstream. i mean, we all had Dial-up

I sense extreme defensiveness in relation to WOW, what's happened? i really didn't care much for wow either.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021