New World MMORPG - Amazon Game Studios

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Sphinx, Aug 27, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Sphinx

Sphinx Member

The defensive is that NW is really nothing like WoW, much more like ESO if anything - but more thought in to the systems, combat, pvp, gathering, crafting and play-style flexibility - and less the tab-targeting combat, fixed classes, extra races, fixed professions, weapon/armour restrictions, etc and so on.

It's refreshing to also see more server based community in NW, with the more old fashioned dungeon and PVP, etc LFG, and regular names, etc seen (especially with 2000 player caps) - Community reputation means something once again, so player conduct matters if you want to group again.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  2. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

There are really two reactions to the game (from what I can tell).
    1. Those that think it's just a repetitive game that is extremely similar to all MMOs before it, and therefore has no imagination and will fizzle out over the coming month or two.
    2. Those that think it is incredible.

I have students in Year 12 who have already put 100 hours into the game. 100 hours.

From what I've seen of streamers and youtubers, it looks good, but does seem extremely familiar from games I've played before. Don't think I could pump in the necessary hours/time to make the most of it. I wish there was a casual MMO that was designed for those of us who can only jump on every here and there. The whole 'war' things in NW seem to be aimed at keeping players on as often as possible.

3. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I still miss Ultima Online, but NW is still more fun than most other MMORPG games to come out in the last while. WoW was terrible when it launched, then it got better, then went on a downward spiral into the abyss.

The problem with MMORPGs is that they are all level based, and result in a grind. UO was good cos you could start a character and go join PVP right away and mess around and have fun. Because of full loot people would run around with average/good but not the best gear. So you could have alot of fun not worrying about losing gear etc.

Now-a-days its all about grinding to lvl 60 asap for best gear cos when you die there's no penalty.

the_antipop likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Sphinx

Sphinx Member

5. OP
    OP
    Sphinx

Sphinx Member

The game is very solo/casual friendly, there is no monthly sub (unlike WoW and FF), so $57 one-off on steam and play as little as you like.

There are plenty of storyline and side quests to find and do that contain world lore. Sandbox exploring the many different world biomes, gathering and crafting is very rewarding, and you don't have to enable PVP/get involved in any of that stuff if you don't want to.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    the_antipop likes this.
  6. AERO

AERO Member

im finding my gam is closing itself tonight, cant even play it. havnt had an issue in the 100 hours previously...

7. OP
    OP
    Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Tried Steam verify/repair?

8. AERO

AERO Member

there isnt a problem with the install it wont repair anything, think chrome has been stuffing up last few weeks. causing memory crashes etc... ever since they announced win 11 lol.

9. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I started playing on Sunday and have really gotten hooked.
    Playing with some friends on Kabatakan if there's any interested in joining our company :)
    Only 5 of us in the company and not really planning on wars or taking over a region, just enjoying the game.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  10. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Seems like a weird thing to be a dickhead about, but okay.

Hit level 37, been focussing a bit on the gathering/crafting side of things. Still haven't done much in the way of PvP - was too caught up trying to decide on my weapons.

have done the first Expedition, found it a bit lacklustre, no real mechanics. I hope that improves. So far every war on our server has been won by the defender, I am told the siege fucks you up real good.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  11. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

Level 28 on Lindalino here, but will probably move to Lemuria when that option becomes available - mate is playing on there

Sword/Musket, doing lots of crafting and gathering just leveling up, and way overpowering myself for quests

12. Saviola

Saviola Member

Slowly moving through the 40s, 47 I think now. PvE (quests, genocide and portals), PvP and crafting mainly; found expeditions to be somewhat boring. My server is slowly being overtaken by Syndicate and you can see that in war signups, I just chose green as its first on the list at the NPC.

There's more and more annoyances coming into the game though, which is kind of expected as PvE was only developed in the last 12-18 months. Still worth the outlay, but not sure I will continue as a 'day to day go to game', but certainly one to keep an eye on. New contract doesn't start till the new year so have plenty of time :)

13. boneburner

boneburner Member

There have been reports of organised gold farm groups taking over maps & then selling the town ownership for real world dollars - as is happening on a friends server (Batala) atm. They hike up taxes & dont bother expanding the town that much - its all a bit unfortunate.

14. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Got some world PvP going last night, defending one town from Yellow and another from Green, not the first time we have suffered coordinated attacks on 2 different settlements. Successfully got them both back under control, but then lost one at some point over night. PvP was actually quite fun.

15. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

I hope they come out with a starter bundle incl another character slot other than just 2 and some skins

16. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

2 character slots does seem odd, why cant I have 1 per world set?

17. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

Somehow missed this one - Son was talking to me about it, looks great.

If there a trial available? Or you have to pay the $60 to see if its your thing?

18. boneburner

boneburner Member

Unfortunately there WAS an open beta weekend where you could have checked it out - but now its just buy to play (relatively cheaply at 57 aud)

Yes it does look good - but as you know, the proof is in the finer details as to whether it would hold your interest. I suggest watching some twitch streamers for an hour or 2 - ask questions etc.

the_fuzz likes this.
  19. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

I'm 75 hours in, so past the less than $1 per hour of enjoyment I use as a indicator - loving it so far. So much to do, so much to see, so many things to kill...

Level 37 now, was sword/musket, but respecced to rapier/musket so I only have to concentrate on 2 skills - Dex and Constitution. Also spent a crapload of gold at the trading post to massive increase my carry weight and buy a couple of tier IV weapons.

Lindalino (the world I'm on) is predominately green at the moment - they keep winning wars. Suits me fine as I am green as well - but at this time I have no inclination for PVP, so sticking with PVE

20. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Once one faction takes over a server, the game will no longer allow new players to join that faction.
    As new players eventually join the server they'll be forced to join the two opposing factions and hopefully cause a change in power.

I'll be interested to see how effective this is.