New World MMORPG - Amazon Game Studios

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Sphinx, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Saviola

Saviola Member

Will be interesting to see how the faction dynamic changes, on Laputa the Marauders are being marginalised by the other two and they happy to share spoils it seems. Screws me from a gold perspective but otherwise not much else.

There's little need to move through the ranks of a faction at present as rewards are poor. I have started 5th rank now but not sure I will bother any further.

Pacing isn't too bad, played many grindy MMOs happily so that doesn't bother me, some more thought into number and how quests are grouped my have been better. Non sharing of town and faction quests makes grouping somewhat a chore, but doable.

The shine is wavering after only 2 weeks though, its actually a pretty shallow game once you look at it objectively. Definitely worth the $50 though and one to check in with on a semi-regular basis, but don't think i will be playing regularly come Nov.

2. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I played the open beta for that weekend and it felt like the game had promise in the few hours I was able to play, but near the end of it, it did start to feel like the intrigue really was only surface deep.

A lot of the systems, mechanics, lore, questing, purpose to existence in the world really only felt skin-deep to me.

3. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

To me the PvE content is quite shallow (beyond the crafting system at least) which i think is largely due to the game originally being a full hardcore PvP game that they dialed back and added PvE content to. That being said ive clocked up like 80 hours so far and loving it :p

4. OP
    OP
    Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Take in the serenity....

Not bad for an MMO. Recorded on a 1080Ti

5. OP
    OP
    Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Sorry, had it marked Private. Should work ok now.

RnR likes this.
  6. Current

Current Member

oh man. it cut out before you took the shot

7. RnR

RnR Member

He missed...

the_fuzz likes this.
  8. Saviola

Saviola Member

Well I think that's my time with this iteration of the game. The whole faction thing just isn't working, particularly on my server at least, and once 60 that's all there is. I am fine with PVPing as an endgame, as well as levelling, but it just doesn't work for me. Too much zerg. Added to this nothing has any real value and everything, including levels, can be purchased. On my server most items are worthless, from a trade perspective, anyway. Going from GS 509 to 530 is no real upgrade and a large time sink.

The game world and lighting (at times) is beautiful but creature/mob design is pretty average. Quests, its is obvious they were added at a later date and rushed, they are just plain bad. There's zero replayability, and I am a altohollic usually so thats sad.

Anyway, enjoy and maybe see you once server merges come along. Will keep an eye on features etc and pop back to fish or something from time to time.

RnR likes this.
  9. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

So what's the OCAU consensus on this? I've been too busy with work to play this yet but will finally get some time next week.

Is it worthwhile buying at all? If so, now or worth waiting for bugs/issues (if any) to be fixed?

10. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

I'm 120 hours in and still enjoying it. Haven't run into any game breaking bugs yet. There's been 3 updates released over the last 3 weeks. Character transfers are coming sometime tomorrow for us.

11. OP
    OP
    Sphinx

Sphinx Member

I'm 100 hours played, game is very casual friendly and rewards hunter/gathering and complex crafting which you can always do in between quests, story, etc, and also levels you up.
    Quests themselves are pretty repetitive and generic MMO fare, but the graphics and world detail are top shelf and the different biomes of the map keep things interesting.

Group stuff like Dungeons are not easy and have interesting dynamics, albeit there are only a few. There are also random PVE invasions are other events to deal with if you want.
    Server pop limit is pretty low (~2250). Because there is no group finder / cross server queue - the server community is more old school, people hanging out the front of dungeons LFG, etc..

The big group pvp, wars, guild and faction control stuff was a bit broken for a time, which has frustrated some - but it has slowly been fixed with weekly patching, and pvp (world or arena) is opt-in anyway something I'm not bothering with until end-game. With no monthly sub, it's definitely worth the price.

Edit: Be aware the game is down for maint/patch tonight.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  12. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

Yeah at $55 for 120 hours played, that's less than 50c an hour. No ongoing fees (unless you want fancy skins for your armor or the like) except for (at a guess) expansions makes it worthwhile.

Smoothie likes this.
  13. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

Just be aware we are in a server maintenance window right now

14. AERO

AERO Member

I rolled on zura and we have a problem with bitters and gold farmers/ sellers spamming chat. Finding the games very quiet during the day now since they locked the server for a while. Be good once it levels out. I’m only lvl 52. Havnt really done the pvp and spent almost the whole time solo. Finding it harder to get into groups now and I don’t really know anyone to play with. Just my company. And well there mostly lvl 60 only farming their own stuff. Not interested in helping others or build the company up. I know I’m the kind of guy once 60 would help others with stuff…. But just my feels atm. Hope to be 60 in the near future.

15. OP
    OP
    Sphinx

Sphinx Member

16. boneburner

boneburner Member

game commentary or just an accidental bit of furniture placement...

[​IMG]

:lol::lol::lol:

the_fuzz likes this.
  17. boneburner

boneburner Member

im a sucker for a good name pun - todays award goes to the one that made me laugh when i saw it - "Elon Musket" :lol:

18. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

So, I purchased the game and have played for a few hours. Haven't found it to be particularly enjoyable yet to be honest. It's seems a little confusing and all over the place - but I'm only level 12. So will stick it out for a while longer and see if it improves.

19. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I recommend start working on logging ASAP. You need to be skill level 50 to cut down Mature trees, and it'll take a while to get there on Young and Dead trees.

20. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

I've been told anecdotally that you can level to character level 60 just on logging, and still not be logging 200 :)