New York (Christmas and new years)

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by german, Aug 17, 2014.

1. german

german Member

Heading over for 2 weeks form December 18th until January 2nd. Getting to majority of the sites and NBA, NHL, NFL, operas, day tours and 3 day tour to Washington DC, Philadelphia and Niagra Falls.

I've been reading mixed comments about the best type of clothing. Some say layers, layers layers while others are just some simple thermals, jacket and good walking shoes. Temperature is meant to be around from 6 degrees and down to -2.

Anyone from here been over at this time and what would be some good places to look for clothing and shoes?

Appreciate any help.

2. XAJIM

XAJIM Member

Freezing at Xmas/NYE time. I was fine in jeans, thermal shirt, solid jumper, a really good jacket and hat. Clothing is plentiful over there, all of the big department stores such as Macy's, Nordstroms, JCPenney, etc are cheap (compared with Australia) and have what you need or you can go to flagship stores of your favourite brand because there will be one in NYC. Pack lightly before you go, get straight to the shops when you arrive would be my advice.

It's a great city, but it's even busy on Christmas Day. I much preferred Philly, it's one of the most underrated cities in the USA and DC is great as well. The Smithsonian museums could keep you occupied for weeks.

3. OP
    OP
    german

german Member

Thanks Xajim.

Did you wear a short sleeve or long sleeve thermal shirt? Recommendations for what type of shoes would be best to wear?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  4. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

maybe i have a high cold tolerance but all i wore was

t-shirt
    jacket (nothing fancy but kinda thick, not duck down or anything)
    gloves (ones that work with touchscreens are handy)
    jeans
    normal shoes, consider something waterproof if it's snowing and you go walking in central park or something. i just wore normal socks and whatever shoes were comfortable for the amount of walking i did.

at night i just added a beanie and scarf. add a woolen jumper or something if you're out in central park in the middle of the night (eg view of times square fireworks on NYE)

layer up such that you can take off most of it once you come indoors, they go nuts with heating and if you can add/remove a layer to adjust for indoor/outdoor temps you'll do yourself a huge favour.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

It is fucked freezing especially when you get southerly off the Hudson.

Thermals
    gloves
    scarf
    Full length jacket
    Also water repellent shoes.

When you go to Niagara and out of NYC (they have under street heating in most of tourist traps) it will be colder again. Goretex baby!

6. XAJIM

XAJIM Member

I wore a short sleeve thermal shirt, just a simple merino icebreaker actually. Jumper was a warm but not too thick woolen one. I agree with blankpaper about shoes/boots. I generally wore leather shoes that had been waterproofed so the old feet were kept reasonably warm-be careful of shoes with poor grip, they're a disaster on icy/snow covered roads and paths. Gloves, scarf and hat/beanie/earwarmers are all personal preference items that can be picked up nice and cheap. Last time I was in NYC at that time (2012/2013 Xmas) I wore a scarf and hat, the time before (2008/2009 Xmas which was a bit colder) I went beanie and no scarf. Constants were always a decent jacket, jeans/rugged pants, shoes and a thermal shirt of some description.

I now stick to Brazil or Australia during that time of the year. :D

7. Falkor

Falkor Member

I don't think you necessarily need thermals, but I would say a nice thick jacket, you want one that will keep the wind out well as thats what makes it cold most of the time.

Jeans are fine but they get colder quicker, material pants are better as they don't absorb the cold like denim does. Gloves/Beanies/Scarves are a necessary IMO and really help. Also your ears are a big thing, ear muffs are great.

But most importantly, good SHOES, if it snows/rains you will get super wet so make sure you have good solid shoes. For the girls boots are a must, guys just make sure they are enclosed and can hold the water out a bit. Don't necessarily need goretex boots tho if it snows(which is not likely around then but possible) you will need boots tho so be aware.

It depends on your cold tolerance, some people go nuts. I lived there for 3 years and mostly in winter just wore jeans, tshirt and then a big thick coat that I had. But the difference is when I was outside in winter it wasn't to stand around looking at sites etc for hours it was for 30 mins to go from my place to a restaurant/bar/friends place/store etc so i spent less time outside :)

If you don't have a lot of the clothes and can wait definitely buy it there, Macys will have all you need and is pretty cheap. Also remember at Macys to go to the information counter and show your passport/license to get a 10% off tourist card thing.

8. redslert

redslert Member

Long Johns :thumbup:

Or go to 'Old Navy' and buy a pair of dual layered pants.
    Outside look like cakeys pants and inside is a warm layer of cotton like material.
    The layers are not bonded, so acts like thermos.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  9. Tekin

Tekin Member

Yeah, agree with the posters above.

Layers are a good bet as the weather can be massively variable. And 0C but still and sunny is a very different experience to -5C coupled with a strong wind and ice rain.

It 'generally' sits around 0C during december, maybe a touch colder in Jan... but can get down to -10-15C or lower at some times. Thankfully that's not 'that' common and most of the time is only for a few days.

It's pretty easy to pickup a decent underlay of good quality clothing for $60-80 if it does turn out to be colder than expected.

10. goodlet

goodlet Member

Was in NYC from 20/12 to evening of the 1/1 last year. And bailed down to Washington in between.

I layered up. Thermals and jeans and thermal top, shirt and coat. Beanie and gloves too.

Madison Square Gardens is amazing. Make sure you're early and possibly goto the Christmas Game match if you're free. Metlife stadium is a nice venue though but sucks if you're in a seat not in cover. Getting there can be a bit of a pain though. I caught a taxi there 30min and train and subway home (2.5 hours). Should of just taxi'ed both ways.

11. OP
    OP
    german

german Member

Cheers for all the help, appreciate it.

12. Tekin

Tekin Member

Oh yeah - one thing (the previous poster reminded me). I'm not sure if you're going anywhere else on the east coast/midwest, but I always found NYC much warmer than Washington/Chicago.

Washington is brutally cold and often seems to be windy, Chicago is generally a few degrees colder and windy - but the big difference is they aren't as setup for just 'wandering around', so you can get pretty cold.

As a recommendation to everyone, don't try to do the smithsonian in either Dec/Jan or July/Aug. It's a fairly sizeable walk between buildings, without a lot of shade and no protection from the wind.

I've done both. In Jan in -10C with a windchill of -15C and August in 42C.

Anyways, NYC is a good walking city even when it's really cold. Plenty of stores/cafes/bars to duck into and defrost, and as GumbyNoTalent pointed out, a lot of the major destinations are heated (times square in particular!)

13. OP
    OP
    german

german Member

Top stores and food outlets to visit?

14. Maddog06

Maddog06 Member

Hey, so I just got back from 8mths in that region. I was not in New York state during Dec/Jan, I was there in Feb this year. Although "normally" the weather starts getting better around then, this was the worst winter they've had in decades.

I had been through the state many years ago, however in their summer only. I generally have a high tolerance to extreme weather, not sure what you are like, but I suggest you layer. Make sure you pack well for the trip, better to have something that you don't use, than to not have it at all, especially in a place that gets harsh climates.

When I was up in Buffalo, it was about -20 + wind chill factor, dropping it to -25 deg C. in NYC it was about -15deg C, but like someone mentioned, if that breexe comes off the hudson or storm from the Atlantic, it drops the temps ridiculously.

You will be fine indoors, its for those times you walk through central park, across brooklyn bridge and just general manhattan walking, you want to be prepared for.

I suggest:

- Beanie
    - Scarf (you want to stop the wind cutting through the neck of your jackets)
    - Thermals (top and bottom) - a must
    - Long sleeve or short sleeve shirt
    - Sweater - depends on your tolerance
    - Jacket - a must
    - Jeans - fine if you are wearing thermals
    - thick socks - a must
    - shoes of any kind (anything you find comfortable in for a whole day)
    - Gloves - a must
    - Ear muffs - if you feel like your ears will slice off

All indoor areas will be well heated, and you will remove layers. but such is life in the north east.

Washington DC was a definitely warmer, they didn't get hit with the bad weather as much as NYC did, but the 3 days I was in DC was the 3 days they received 6ft of snow, and it crippled the transport system. Be prepared for taxi's charging extra for inconvenience, buses that stop running etc. In terms of clothing, if you are prepared for NYC, you will be fine for DC and Chicago.

Chicago was -36 deg C when I planned on visiting, I gave it a miss, and ended up going in May when it was much warmer!

PM me if you need any more info :thumbup:

Good luck with travels!

15. OP
    OP
    german

german Member

Coldest weather I've been in would be Melbourne and Germany/Poland(during May this year). Just walk around everywhere in shorts, shirt and a hoodie. Hot and cold weather doesn't affect me like majority of people but would be wiser to be safe than sorry, especially being in an area I've never been before.

Main concern is footwear just due to having a back injury. If I walk around heaps my sciatica tends to play up which means my lower back, legs and shocks going through body.

What brands for leather shoes are good for walking? I will have to get inserts to help for extra support as well.

Does the winds from Hudson travel through the city at all or just on the water front?

16. Falkor

Falkor Member

What do you like? Are you on your own or with friends/partner?

Happy to suggest some places to eat and drink, but there are a lot so if I can be specific to what you might like it will be better :)

17. OP
    OP
    german

german Member

Will be by myself and everything and anything.

I know I have to eat hot dog, pizza, carnegie deli and others for food.

18. Falkor

Falkor Member

Ok sure.

You sound like you have all the usuals down pat, some suggestions for drinking then

• East Village - I spent majority of my time here, bars on every corner and lots of places to eat. Much more casual and cheaper than Midtown etc as well. Plenty of divey places if you like to try interesting places walk down St Marks from Astor Place Subway station and stop at Grassroots Tavern. Its super divey and easy to miss
    • Sly Fox on 2nd Ave is another divey/cool joint, $4-5 for a beer and a shot of whisky. Can't beat that
    • Blind Tiger - This is on Bleecker in the West Village, loads of craft beer. Gets busy though so I would recommend turning up at 12pm for lunch. Food is good there too
    • Good beer - This is in the EV, On 9th between 1st and A. Great beer place, its basically a beer store with a 'tasting' area. $6 craft pints and always changing taps, Was my favourite beer place in NYC
    • Hells Kitchen - Another great area, basically 42nd street to about 55th st on 8th/9th/10th ave. Pony Bar is on 10th and another cool craft beer joint. If you are staying in Midtown wander over this side to eat etc. Bit cheaper and better than Midtown/Times Square
    • Chinatown - Definitely worth hitting up, don't be afraid to go into a place and eat. I would recommend checking out Doyers St its a crazy bendy lane, Nom Wah tea house is basically Yum cha and great food. Right next door to it is a bar called Pulqueria, its down some stars and doesn't even look like its there, great mexican bar with awesome margaritas. Go early as it gets busy and go on Mon-Thurs as Fri/Sat usually there is a guy with a clipboard at the door and its impossible to get in
    • Speakeasy's - Lots of these around, if you like hidden bars and good cocktails they are cool. On your own it should be piss easy to get into most. I found the novelty wore off a bit but its fun to find them, I would recommend Death and Co in the EV, Apotheke on Doyers is great too. Another good one is Back Room and also 2nd Floor on Clinton.

I'll try think of a few more, lots of places worth eating at.

19. Maddog06

Maddog06 Member

Falkor's recommendations are great! On top of that, add some of your own exploration, that's about it really. East & West Village, and Chelsea are superb for dining. Checkout the Chelsea markets, it will be packed in there, as people will avoid the outside temps. Download Yelp if you don't have it, and even the Zagat app.

The wind can cut through most of manhattan, but as expected, definitely more noticeable towards the shores. Just go prepared with layers. Carry a day-pack if you need to put stuff away.

Shoes are quite a personal thing, especially if you medical conditions. I actually had a few shoes with me. My leather formal shoes, casuals (Vans), and hiking shoes. I wore the hiking shoes most of the time when exploring the city because of the slush and snow everywhere, and overall comfort that they provide.
    I took these hiking shoes with me, as they are a great balance between durability, comfort and weight. Great if trying to travel light.
    http://int.berghaus.com/mens-vapour...5.html?dwvar_420925_color=P54&cgid=mens-shoes

20. CrazyDez

CrazyDez Member

Travel light. Don't buy stuff here just because you "might need it".

NY is one of the shopping capitals of the world. If you need something, get better quality over there for less than you would pay here.