New Zealand Roadtrip (16 pics, 56k No Way!)

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by {icebox425}, Jul 19, 2009.

1. {icebox425}

{icebox425} Member

Here are some shots I took over the last 2 weeks in NZ. They were all taken with my Canon 40D. It my the first real chance I've had to take some pics whilst traveling so was a learning experience as much as anything else for me.

I haven't had my monitor calibrated and I fear it's a little dark so some of these pics may appear overly bright. All the pics were taken by me except the last.

Comments welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  2. frieten

frieten (Banned or Deleted)

wow number 9 and 14 stand out for me, but heaps of great shots there well done.

3. Maddog06

Maddog06 Member

They are all great shots! Well done! Some friends and I did a massive NZ trip 2 yrs ago, and seeing pics of NZ makes me want to go back!

It's great to see that you did the Skydive in Queenstown too! It's definitely something that must be done in a place with such magestic landscape! :)

4. one22andan8th

one22andan8th Member

Beautiful country, great shots. #2 is amazing, actually I like all the environment shots.

5. malignau

malignau Member

damn im jealous. NZ is beautiful!

I love #4, 9 and 14 the most.

Travel photography is challenging enough because you cant have things planned out, but travelling with (non-photography crazy) friends and trying to take photos is the worst. Balancing between taking lots of photos and trying not to slow them down is annoying lol. With that said you did a good job, theres a good mix of photos there.

My opinion is that some of them feel a bit cropped eg. #1,2,8,12. Maybe if they were a bit wider then maybe i would like them more? Just my opinion though.

6. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

They're all great mate. Well done. I don't think it's possible to get a bad photo of NZ.

7. SakeMan

SakeMan Member

That last shot is ridicolous! All the other ones are nice as well, did you take the last shot out of the plane or while you were jumping?

8. Joehax

Joehax Member

I really like number 9.

#10 is Queenstown yeah?

9. OP
    OP
    {icebox425}

{icebox425} Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

Malignau: The photos that you pointed out I haven't actually cropped, it's just I don't have a UWA lens, only my 17-50mm Tamron which on a crop body isn't super wide. My friends aren't into photography at all so yeah I had issues with not having enough time to set things up.

I brought 3 lenses with me + CPLs etc and only ever used 1 lens the whole time!

Sakeman: The last shot was taken by the skydive company, the only shot I didn't take. They have a separate skydiver go down with you. He hangs on to the outside of the plane until you jump then uses a remote in his mouth which he bites to take snaps with his helmet mounted 40D. Anyone thinking of doing skydiving in Queenstown, DO IT! So amazing and not scary at all. 2 of my friends who are afraid of heights loved it and want to do it again.

Joehax: Yes, #10 is sort of the stereotypical Queenstown shot taken from the Gondola viewing platform.

10. Maddog06

Maddog06 Member

Yeh I can see how it would be difficult for a photographer to travel with non-photography friends.

I went down south with a couple of mates. I was shooting a sunset, and they were already whining if we could leave!

My photography mates can't make it to Canada with me, hence why I am going on my own now. :\

11. yangby

yangby Member

Lovely shots.

#7 is Lake Wanaka and #14 is Frans Josef Glacier right?

12. OP
    OP
    {icebox425}

{icebox425} Member

Yeah that's right, #7 is Wanaka and #14 is Franz Josef.

The glacier was pretty boring actually, I would definitely give it a miss next time. It just sort of worked out anyway as we were going past it to get to Queenstown.

13. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

lolz @ wine and muffin holiday shots.. :-/

love the scenery shots.. such a pretty country. can't wait till september and ill be over there myself ...

few of the early ones look like they could do with a small amount of saturation boost?

14. shredder

shredder Member

#3 looks like Nelson, #16 obviously is. I live about 5 minutes walk from both of those shots.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Absolutely fantastic shots!

Would love some locality info on each pic.....some of the areas look very familiar....

16. J.J.

J.J. Member

Nice set. I like the shot with the ski lift (?) going down the mountain.

17. OP
    OP
    {icebox425}

{icebox425} Member

Yeah you're right. #3 was taken on the way to that historical village with the microbrewery.

18. OP
    OP
    {icebox425}

{icebox425} Member

No problem. All the shots were either handheld, or rested on an object or whatever. Only twice did I use my guerrillapod.

1. Taken in the botanic gardens in Christchurch. We were pretty bored in Christchurch so our group of 21yo guys resorted to the gardens of all things to kill the day time.

2. Taken in Kaikoura on the way up to Nelson.

3. As mentioned, taken in Nelson near the historical village. I loved Nelson, such a nice little town but with good food etc. I only wish it had more nightlife when we were there, besides the seedier places Bridge Street. I really liked the Ale house and Vics(?) on the main street, if only they closed later than 9.30.

4. Taken at the actual microbrewery bar in the village. One of the 6 beer samples for $5!

5. Same as 4.

6. Taken on the drive from Nelson down to Franz Josef. Took it from the passenger seat whilst going 100kmh over a bridge.

7. Wanaka, just around the lake a little from the shops. I loved Wanaka, such a nice place to chill-out after Queenstown. The cinema there is amazing too and is a must do, we sat through that 7.8 Earthquake in the cinema!

8. Cardrona ski field just near Wanaka. I decided skiing wasn't for me so pulled out the camera instead.

9. Queenstown just on the lake. Was actually just after sunset when I took this shot, but the 6s exposure makes it look like it was brighter.

10. The obvious Queenstown shot from skyline.

11. Taken close to Queenstown on the way in from Franz Josef.

12. Same as 11.

13. I'm pretty sure this was taken after leaving Nelson for Franz Josef.

14. Franz Josef glacier. I found this all a bit boring.

15. Taken on the way in to Queenstown I'm pretty sure.

16. Main street of Nelson.

17. Free falling over Queenstown. Queenstown was as I expected, awesome. Really fun staying in a hostel there and had an awesome time. Only problem was we were wrecked after about 4 days from the partying, activities and lack of sleep.

Anyone thinking about going to NZ, do it! Had an amazing time and it didn't cost very much either. Their economy is pretty tattered so they could do with our help too. One thing I found a bit strange was everywhere we went we never met a single Australian except for Queenstown. Everyone else was British trying to avoid the recession...or from Canada or somewhere else in Europe.

19. [eXo]

[eXo] Member

Yes, Queenstown. Looks to be from the Restaurant at the top of the mountain that you take the cablecar up to.

Alot of your photos look like the ones I took on my honeymoon. :)

#13 is off a little lookout on the way to the glaciers from Queenstown yer?

Beautiful Country... but as someone said. Pretty hard to get a bad photo of this country.

20. bobrandom

bobrandom Member

That would be skyline