New Zealand sim

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Skexis, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Skexis

Skexis Member

Hey all. Planning a two week trip around the south island sometime in April/May and I'm looking for advice re a NZ sim for my phone. Last time I was there I used roaming on my Virgin prepay which worked ok but that was for the north island. I've been told coverage on the south island is much more sporadic and patchy. Wife had a Telstra sim and couldn't link to anything.

Our itinerary will probably take us down the east cost to Christchurch (if there's anything left of it) and then on to Queenstown, Invercargill and Dunedin. Can anyone recommend a NZ provider that will give reasonable coverage?

Thanks

2. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Spark. 3G 850/2100 and 4G Band 28, Band 3. Mobile coverage sucks in rural nz for all carriers but Spark has the most spectrum and the better frequencies

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Interesting. I was over in the south island last year and used Telstra roaming and I found it interfaced with NZ providers quite well, I had no issues and I was in some remote-ish areas. Only problem was having only 200Mb per day for $5 (International Day Pass) but that was fine, didn't use it much.

4. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

data only or calls too?

for data only, i've recently used simsdirect.com.au and found they were very good and well priced

5. thebranded

thebranded Member

very appropriate thread also going to NZ soon.

simsdirect.com.au has a 4 day free delivery

6. OP
    OP
    Skexis

Skexis Member

Dunno about having one delivered. Last time I flew into Aukland airport I remember seeing several telco booths so will pick up a couple of sims from there, hopefully anyway. The simsdirect 10Gb one looks ok though.

7. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i must clarify, i used simsdirect for Asia, not NZ

but i had a flawless experience and Express Post delivery of the SIM!

8. OP
    OP
    Skexis

Skexis Member

When are you going?

9. thebranded

thebranded Member

Last week of Feb back on the 3rd. Only doing north island though.

10. Mr B

Mr B Member

We used simsdirect for Japan recently, worked well.

11. OP
    OP
    Skexis

Skexis Member

Update: bought a 2 Degrees sim for NZD$19. Maps showed slightly better coverage than SparkNZ and paying Telstra $5 per day to roam is ridiculous. 4G coverage was ok and for basic use the included 1.25Gb of data was enough.

12. shredder

shredder Member

Bit late to the party here. But I'll chime in my knowledge as a kiwi.

--

The main options are Spark (which is NZ's mainstream equivalent to Telstra) / Vodafone / 2degrees.

A coverage map.

Anecdotally Vodafone may have the best coverage. Very closely followed by Spark (also be aware, "Skinny" is Spark's budget sub-brand).

Prepay SIM cards are typically NZ$5. You can get them at most NZ supermarkets, next to the checkouts. Other options are the airport, or general corner stores.

--

Pricewise there's not a lot in it. Before your time of travel, Google up the current prepay prices for the 3 (4 including Skinny) main options, to see how prices stand.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Really!?? I thought it was quite reaosnable....it's just the amount of data I had an issue with.

14. OP
    OP
    Skexis

Skexis Member

For our purposes yes as we only wanted light use. There is of course a tipping point where Telstras $5 per day per device becomes cheaper if you wanted more data however that itself could most likely be bettered by a higher priced NZ sim. We were there for ten days so it would have cost us AUD $100 as opposed to NZD $38. No contest really.