1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie here and want to build PC for Editing/VFX hobby - Wait for Ryzen 7 & RTX 40x series?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by joep, May 26, 2022.

1. joep

joep New Member

When I saw that GPU prices were dropping, I've decided to build a PC for VFX, 3d, editing. But then I saw that Nvidia and AMD's releasing new models... so anyone else waiting for these? Or if I build now, can I easily update it to the new releases

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep, currently have the 3080 but hanging out for 4000 series gpu to run two oleds off hdmi : )

nope and joep like this.
  3. rg144

rg144 Member

I think you'll find most of us here are waiting for next gen cards, for various reasons-
    i) current gen cards are reaching end of their product cycle
    ii) current gen cards' pricing still a bit silly
    iii) potentially big performance improvements from next gen GPU's
    iv) ability to get next gen GPU's at MSRP (if availability is good)
    v) AMD's AM5/Ryzen 7000 dropping at the same time (~Sep-Oct)

Nevertheless a 5900/5950x is still one of the best chips you can get for Video editing.

Personally wouldn't build a brand new AM4 system right now, for lack of platform upgradeability as there's really nowhere left to go for AM4 now. Add to this- new Ryzen CPU's, DDR5 memory & PCIe 5 storage on AM5 should all provide decent improvements for vfx/video editing in time; with all the increased bandwidth/data throughput..

But if it's heavy video editing you need right now and cant wait 6 months, then a second hand 5950x system would remain an amazing chip/excellent value for years to come, especially in the realm of a ~$500 5950x, decent x570 board (i.e MSI Tomahawk) and 32/64GB DDR4..

All under the assumption you're happy to explore 2nd hand that is ;)

EDIT: and welcome to OCAU of course :thumbup:

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    joep likes this.
  4. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Depends on the specifics of what you want to do. Maybe 2 years ago I built a system around a 3900X, Gen4 NVMe SSD, 32GB of DDR4 and a 3060Ti for video editing in Lightworks and it works fine for everything I do in terms of GoPro/Phone/Drone footage, and even worked for some 4K stuff when I tried it (but I don't have a 4k monitor).

nope, joep and Elmf like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    joep

joep New Member

Thanks for this! It's just for a hobby, got some story ideas in my head that I want to animate. When I heard that the current AMD mobos are not compatible with the next gen, I'll def wait and see

6. OP
    OP
    joep

joep New Member

It's more on 3d stuff and some Houdini, also want to try Unreal. Im not a multimedia pro anymore (switched to programming) but want to get back into content creation because of some ideas I want to bring to life

7. nope

nope Member

honestly i dont think you can beat am4 5950x and a 6900x are getting stupid cheap and are barely a year and a bit old

8. OP
    OP
    joep

joep New Member

Yeah its tempting but heard that Nvidia GPU is better supported for 3d rendering

nope likes this.
  9. nope

nope Member

give it a try.