Newbie looking for help overclocking GTX 1080

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by HedgehogDroid, Mar 20, 2019.

1. HedgehogDroid

HedgehogDroid New Member

Hi,
    Newbie looking for some help overclocking the following system (used for playing BFV (me), overwatch / fortnite (kids)), apolgies in advance for my lack of knowledge:
    ASRock - Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 4790K
    G.Skill - Ares Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (was 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) but seems to be a problem with a couple of sticks, looking into that).
    Noctua NH-D15
    Samsung - 850 Pro Series 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (system drive, via M2_2 slot, not as fast for the drive as using the M2_1 slut, but allows full bandwidth for the GTX1080)
    Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card
    Corsair - 730T Black ATX Full Tower Case
    EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    LG - GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer
    Monitor - Acer XB271HU A

Are there advantages to overclocking with MSI Afterburner vs the software that came with my board (Gigabyte extreme gaming / Auros engine)? Or is it better to use some other approach?

With either of the above bits of software, when I try values that are too high (cause system instability), what's the simplest way to step back to stable values (e.g. if system is too unstable to restart the overclocking software in windows)?

What target values should I be aiming at for this board?

I'm just aiming at a good quality playing experience in BFV. A couple of months ago, started getting poor quality experience (hard to quantify - FPS on 2560*1440 drop down to about 90, plus seems to be a lot of 'lag' / player has moved from image by the time I shoot) partly corrected by quick and dirty oc (4.7 G on cpu (one click oc from asrock uefi bios, yup I'm lazy), GPU clock +130 MHz, gpu mem clock +200 MHz, GPU voltage +60%; FPS about the same but not so much lag), looking to do a better job now.

userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15590262

Thanks

2. asho444

asho444 Member

1080s pretty well clock up with temp.
    The cooler you can keep the card the better your clocks will be, you can occur a little for a small boost I can only get like +70 on my galax 1080.

Also afterburner is pretty well the best in the market and they have incorporated the IC scanner in the latest version, in the top left there will be something that says scan oc or something similar, try that and check your results

3. OP
    OP
    HedgehogDroid

HedgehogDroid New Member

Hi Asho,
    Thanks very much! I'll have a play around with that.
    Two questions: So it just adjusts the core clock speed, if I want to adjust the memory (timings?) I use something else? And if I push it a little to far (manual adjustment of memory timings) and get blue screens, is there an easy way to wind it back?
    Thanks again.

4. asho444

asho444 Member

When you say timings do you mean the MHz? Normally it's just the same as the GPU core and you increase the slider.

Easiest way to know your of limits is find reviews of your card and look up their of results and try and copy.

5. OP
    OP
    HedgehogDroid

HedgehogDroid New Member

Yes the memory clock speed. Afterburn + 500MHz on memory clock has improved the performance a little, but I haven't tested stability yet. To answer my own question, looks like safe mode is the easiest way to wind back an unstable oc.
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  6. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Historically you won't get as much of a performance increase with GDDR overclocking, the core OC is where it's at. Make sure you set a relevant fan curve for cooling the card when overclocked. Afterburner is an excellent tool, I use an AMD card and still prefer it to anything provided by AMD themselves.

And yes, safe mode will be a safe (pardon the pun) bet to reset overclocks. You can also just set Afterburner to not start automatically when the PC starts, so if it does BSOD you, you'll be back to no OC on reset. TBH it's rare with GPUs to get a full hard reset (from my experience anyway), normally the driver will crash, reset itself and then you're back at Windows.

HedgehogDroid likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    HedgehogDroid

HedgehogDroid New Member

Thanks very much. I used afterburner, very handy. But I've also just come across 'minimum competitive gaming requirements' for BFV - looks like my current rig is just too old to play the multiplayer component well. Ughh!