Newbie question - i7-7820x Turbo Boost

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by mezla, Aug 11, 2017.

1. mezla

mezla Member

Hi guys,

I am ahh... a little busy right now (baby due in 7 days, settling apartment in 4, moving house in 5)... otherwise I could probably figure this out and test and trial and error and research... but instead I am going to ask if someone can just tell me.

So, my brothers and I have a new machine with an i7-7820x in it that we will use for multi-core machine learning. At this stage, we will not be doing any real overclocking (likely later though), but - and this is my question/uncertainty - I *think* I should be able to run it at 4.0GHz on ALL cores using Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 2.0... is that correct?

So I should not install Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 because it is more focused on boosting one or two cores?

Yeah? :confused:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

All cores loaded will be 3.6, if you enable "multi core enhancement" in UEFI it'll set the all core turbo to 4.3. This setting just applies a silent overclock that overrides the default turbo boost multipliers.

3. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Intel doesn't boost all cores to max turbo, it's the motherboard manufacturers that have bios options to overwrite the stock intel behaviour.

4. OP
    OP
    mezla

mezla Member

OK, awesome. Thanks for your help guys!:thumbup: